Acura TSX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just to add my own experience with the same problem:

My 06 MT is up to about 16K mi. I first started hearing this noise in the fall of last year after I had owned the car for a few months. At first it didn't happen all the time, but over the winter, it seems to happen almost continuously. There are still some times it does not happen, though.

I've had the dealer look at it on 4 separate ocassions, each time took it out with a technician and had them hear (and agree they heard) the noise. The first two times, they inspected everything and told me it all looked fine, and I didn't want them to drop the exhaust when the car was still pristine so I didn't ask them to try "fixing" it.

The third and fourth time I actually brought in PsyDoc's printout. They looked at the part, looked at my car, dropped the exhaust and agreed that what's going on is that under higher pressures, the pipe pushes down into the doughnut/gasket and rattles around because of how the parts come together there. (I realize this is a somewhat vague description, it was months ago and I have forgot some of the exact detail.) They agreed it didn't seem like it should make this noise but also said it didn't look like it was resulting in any problems. I got the impression it's sort of the purpose of that part to absorb this pushing.

On the fourth time they were all ready to fix the issue with that other part and were seeking approval from Acura to cover it under warranty. Acura came back and said they would not authorize it. Dealer was very apologetic, agreed they heard the noise, but couldn't fix it under warranty. They said again they don't think it's affecting the performance of the car (and I don't think so either) so I let it go and just stopped trying to fix it.

I'm not sure why some people seem not to hear it. I think it has a lot to do with the weather - temperature and humidity. That sounds a little crazy but I swear it's worse when things are wet, and when they're cold. On drier and warmer days, I don't hear it as much and sometimes not at all. I'm very curious to see if it goes away during the hot part of the summer.

Because the whole VTEC thing is one reason I bought the car and one of the things I really like about it, it's definitely a real gripe about a car I otherwise love almost completely. It's just that it sounds so *mean* above 6K rpm when it's not rattling, but so impotent when it does rattle. :)

You really can't hear it with the windows down, BTW.

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
There are somethings that are just 'idiosyncracies' of our car. Too bad it happens in the 06's though as I thought the sound was sequela only to 04-05's. Yeah, other than that and the creaking clutch pedal, I love the car :donno:

·
Registered
160 Posts
if that's the cause, how come you don't hear it anymore when you turn down the heating to "Lo" setting? I've tested it and it works: no sound when heating is on "Lo"...

My second Accord (2006) has this problem; my 2005 didn't have it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You're saying that if I set the temperature in my car to "Lo", I won't hear the rattling noise during VTEC engagement? I'll try that, but it doesn't make much sense. Does the A/C need to be off or on? Do you need to select any particular vent configuration?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try it. I heard somewhere a theory (I think also on this forum), that it's because of some air in the coolant fluid. When the coolant passes through the radiator core at high rpm, the air bubbles "cavitate", producing that noise. When you turn the heating to "Lo", there is some valve that shuts, preventing the coolant from going through the radiator core, therefore the noise disappears.

Don't know if the explanation is true or not, but the "fix" works as a charm in my case.

P.S. Tried with A/C off, no special vent configuration... I'll try it also with A/C on...

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
By the way, the creaking clutch pedal turned out to be a bad master clutch cylinder. 2nd time I am having this replaced....... Honda quality....go figure.

·
Registered
327 Posts
cryo - that totally worked!

It's about 32* up here. With the temp set to "lo" I rev it up and it sounds perfect, no weird noises, just loud and mean, like it should. With the temp set to 72*, I rev it up and hear the weird noise I've heard all winter. I even heard the noise come on as I turned up the temperate from "lo" at high revs. You can also set it to "lo", then hit the "off" button and it's still noise-free. Maybe it only happens when the temperature you set in the car is higher than the ambient outside temperature (meaning the car needs to heat the air.)

I was pretty amazed and happy. I don't know if this would work for everyone but for me it definitely does.

If it is indeed caviatation, it looks like it might be harmful. It's enough to make me avoid revving my TSX high if I'm running the heater. Whether or not it actually is, the noise sounds harmful...

·
Registered
160 Posts
PsyDoc, maybe you can show this to the dealer?

I wonder if there's a (simple) way to remove these bubbles, if this is indeed the cause. I heard some "techniques" (alternating different revving regimes on the highway), but they seem voodoo to me.

P.S. Just a small note, here the cavitation does not take place in the engine, it seems to happen in the heater core....

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Cryo, I'll be damned! You method totally worked.....I heard nothing when turned down to Lo. However, I turned it up and nothing as well. I had the air turned off. Either way, I will continue to try this. If it is repeatable I will go with this information to the dealer. Jesse, the service manager will definately look into it. They will be replacing the CMS this week. If it is cavitation in the heater core, there must be a way of bleeding this off. Lets ask Noel.....Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If it is cavitation caused by the water pump operating at high speed (under high RPMs) then simply bleeding off the bubbles won't do anything, because there aren't any bubbles to bleed off.

Cavitation is the formation and subsqeuent collapse of voids/bubbles in the liquid. The water flowing around the propeller spnning at high speeds creates low pressure. When the pressure is low enough, the water vaporizes and creates a void. It then subsequently collapses, producing a mini shock wave, and the noise you hear. There are no permanent bubbles created.

I think to prevent this problem you'd need to either redesign the water pump impeller so it doesn't produce cavitation, OR redesign the water pump so it doesn't spin fast enough to produce cavitation.

I'm due for a service visit so I'm going to ask the Acura folks about this again with the new info and see what they say.

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Good point on the cavitation. The bubbles aren't created until the pump is spinning and disappear once off VTEC.

Anyway, I tried this again four more times and without fail it worked. Air at 75, up to VTEC, buzzing sound heard, then air set to LO, up to VTEC, and no sound. I tried several variants on this and it is a reliable finding. Good going Devore. Now to see why some have this and some don't and to determine if this condition could be fixed or even damaging in any way to the water pump itself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm just glad cryo suggested it. I was skeptical but it definitely worked and it's nice to hear the engine sound so smooth again. I do wonder if it's a problem with all TSXes or not, to test I think you'd need to rev it up with the heater running, so temp set hotter than it is outside.

I didn't notice the problem the last summer when I bought it, maybe because it was hot outside and I wasn't using the heater. From what I read it sounds like cavitation could cause damage but I dunno if it would when it only happens infrequently.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So I brought up this new information with my dealer and was sort of surprised by the response, which was basically nothing. I told them that when I turned my heater to LO the sound went away and that it seems likely the noise has to do with the heater core. The service manager didn't offer anything other than to say that Acura hasn't issued any TSBs about it so there's nothing to do. I asked if he thought it would help to convey to Acura this information and he essentially said again that Acura would contact them if there was something to fix.

I've been well treated by the dealer so far and they've spent some time with my issue so I just left it at that. I plan to contact Acura myself to let them know about the problem.

MODS - you may want to change the title of this thread, the "resolution" to the issue is no longer post #40. A "fix" for this issue is to avoid running the heater (usually by setting temp to "LO") but there is currently no true resolution to the problem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think I may just just picked up the same problem, not 100% sure. Mine does not occur in the VTEC range, in fact only when you flat stick from 3000 onwards or when going up hills. Initially I thought it was glovebox, but then I took it in and they reckon something is up with the radiator. They will not fix it under warranty because they beleive it is due to an accident. Sounds more like a vibration than the whooshy sounds you guys described. Not happy either way.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.