Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just got an 04 tsx auto 163k miles

had it checked out by a mechanic before I bought it and he said front end and fluids are fine (of course maybe they missed something), and for the most part it feels fine driving down the road. HOWEVER, sometimes mid-turn the steering will get ”lighter” then “heavier“ pulsing between the two steering feelings around every half second. It causing my hands to move midturn, then back to where it was and it doesn’t seam to affect the cornering. It just feels very unsettling, I want my hands to stay in place when I’m in a turn. It seams like it happens more when I’m not under load, just coasting, through a turn.

It needs pads and rotors but i don’t thing that’s it because it happens while not breaking

Ive Scoured the internet looking for similar symptoms but i can’t find anything like this. If anyone knows anything or has ideas please share! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Steering shaft u-joints that are rusted or binding usually create this sensation. You’d feel it consistently almost every 180 degrees and the “hard” spots never change, and are symmetrical to the left or to the right. Meaning, starts to get tough 30 degrees right, it will do the same 30 degrees turning left.

Another can be binding cv joints. You would feel that holding the wheel in one spot and continuing through a curve.

Final suggestion is a problem with the valve in the rack, or air trapped in the steering rack. If fluid pressure is going where it shouldn’t, it will fight the assist in the direction you are steering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steering shaft u-joints that are rusted or binding usually create this sensation. You’d feel it consistently almost every 180 degrees and the “hard” spots never change, and are symmetrical to the left or to the right. Meaning, starts to get tough 30 degrees right, it will do the same 30 degrees turning left.

Another can be binding cv joints. You would feel that holding the wheel in one spot and continuing through a curve.

Final suggestion is a problem with the valve in the rack, or air trapped in the steering rack. If fluid pressure is going where it shouldn’t, it will fight the assist in the direction you are steering.
thanks! I think it’s happening at the same spot right and left. How do I get rid of air pockets if it’s that? I’m trying new power steering fluid and if it’s not that (I don’t think that will help, current power steering fluid looks fine) I’m bringing it to a mechanic to check it out Monday and again Wednesday at a different place if they can’t find it Monday. It’s just frustrating because it’s so hard to replicate!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Try this test if you can. Jack the front of the car and turn the wheels side to side with the steering wheel, engine off. A binding steering shaft can be felt without driving.

An air pocket is less likely unless you had recent work done IE fluid line replacement, rack replacement

1 - 4 of 4 Posts