Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got myself into a pickle here, looking for any help.

So a week ago, I had this issue when the car is put into reverse gear (the shifter. gear stick itself would go farther back almost like nothing is there to hold it into place).

Today,

The car will not go into reverse at all... Almost feels like reverse is missing, when i try it doesnt get held into gear and will come out and back into neutral by itself. Also all the other BOTTOM gears are acting strange (as in when i put the gear in almost feels like little to no support) but gears 1-6 are working perfect .

By bottom gears I mean gears 2, 4 , 6 .

I have somewhat knowledge on these cars, I opened up the dash to see if anything has broken or come lose it looks fine. The car has a b&m short shifter. The only possible thing I could think of is Shifter Bushings are worn, or if there is a rear shifter stay bushing it has come out. (have not lifted the car to see, as its been pissin rain today)

Pls if anyone has any experience with this sort of issue pls comment. I feel a strangle on my neck , a 3000 tranny replacement lol (i really hope its not that)

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like something came apart in your shifter box. There are some short shifter installs on this forum, if you haven't done the install yourself, check one of those out and you'll see how to take the cupholder area apart and get to the box. You'll need to unhook things and take things apart, I suspect you'll find that something has come loose in there, I've read similiar issues on this forum and that's been the case.

Another possibility, though I doubt it, is the 2 bushings under the hood - they're just behind/under the airbox area, you might check that out and see if maybe a kotter pin came loose and things fell apart. Though from the 2/4/6/R symptom I bet it's in the box itself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had this problem before. It turned out it was broken cables. If everything is connected on both ends I'm pretty positive that you have broken cables. It probably happened when they installed that short shifter. Something put on too much stress on those cables causing them to snap.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
I just had this problem a week ago as well.

In my case it turned out that the shift cable that connects for 2, 4, 6, and R has a plastic sleeve around it that keeps it straight. The sleeve on mine cracked and was allowing the cable to bend which is why there was extra movement. The plastic sleeve is also supposed to be inside a metal pressure fitting as well and had popped out of it. I was able to bend the cable outside the sleeve cause of the crack and use the open end of a 3in socket extension to go around the sleeve and then use a hammer to tap it back into the fitting.

I was able to fix the crack with a small piece of aluminum I shaped around a screw driver and then two of the smallest hose clamps you can get at an auto parts store. I don't plan to use this as a permanent fix but since the cable itself is fine it has worked so far for about 100 miles or so with no issues. I have a picture of it I can post for you tonight.

·
ALL*CAL
461 Posts
I had this problem before. It turned out it was broken cables. If everything is connected on both ends I'm pretty positive that you have broken cables. It probably happened when they installed that short shifter. Something put on too much stress on those cables causing them to snap.
My problem sounds similar to this. I had this happen to me years ago and the dealership told me the cables had stretched out and had no more tension. The solution was the replacement of the shifter cables. After that, everything was working as it should.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem was solved. One of my old buddies who parts accident cars got me the cable assembly for 40 bucks :)

Needless to say 3 hours to install, afterwards shifting like new. I must have stretch out the cable that does 2,4,6,R .

But its ok now :)

Thanks guys for the help.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts

In my case it turned out that the shift cable that connects for 2, 4, 6, and R has a plastic sleeve around it that keeps it straight. The sleeve on mine cracked and was allowing the cable to bend which is why there was extra movement. The plastic sleeve is also supposed to be inside a metal pressure fitting as well and had popped out of it. I was able to bend the cable outside the sleeve cause of the crack and use the open end of a 3in socket extension to go around the sleeve and then use a hammer to tap it back into the fitting.

I was able to fix the crack with a small piece of aluminum I shaped around a screw driver and then two of the smallest hose clamps you can get at an auto parts store. I don't plan to use this as a permanent fix but since the cable itself is fine it has worked so far for about 100 miles or so with no issues. I have a picture of it I can post for you tonight.
Do you have pictures of how you fixed this? I believe I have the same issue.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but Im afraid my cables are fubar.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
**** it, I dont have time to fix this issue, I ordered a new set through Honda, 125$ shipped isnt a bad deal I suppose. Thankfully the cables are used for all k24 MT accords.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I found the issue to my problem, pictures and description below.

It's the same exact problem CCColtsicehockey described:

My issue came from the black plastic sleeve falling out of the metal collar, this exposed the linkage wire, allowing it to kink and bend when shifting into 2, 4, 6, or reverse.

The black plastic sleeve didn't stay in the collar very well, so I wrapped it in some metal ducting tape and re-inserted it back into the collar. It seems to have fixed the issue for now, or at least until I get my new linkage from Honda.

This is a pretty poor design flaw for the entire linkage system. I suspect the age and condition of the rubber mounting bushings shown on the linkage pics above caused enough slack in the linkage, allowing the sleeve to come out of the metal collar.

The fix I provided is not intended to be permanent, but only to last long enough until my new linkage set arrives.
The part number for the linkage is 54310-SDA-L02.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts