Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had placed a deposit on a PWP 5AT.

I changed to a CG/Quartz based on earlier stupid question. On balance, I like the quartz/aluminum interior better than the plood version.

Before I could take delivery of the CG, it got hung up by the hold/recall.

I now have the opportunity to get a CG/Quartz 6MT. I know the MT is the enthusiast choice. I test drove today without a) stalling or b) smoking the clutch or c) grinding any gears, although I did have a spot of trouble going from 4th into 5th (kept hitting third, but never fully engaged clutch).

Obviously, I have never owned an MT car. I can drive an MT ok. The last MT I spent much time with was chauffering my ACL/MCL victim roommate in an 89-90 RX7, which I learned to enjoy in hilly Austin, Texas.

I don't however have a fully developed sense of MT use (anymore if I ever did). I am sure this will come (if I don't kill myself or the car first). Many of my buds are on a first MT and are very happy. One even had never driven an MT before current MT vehicle. They say "do it."

I have nothing against MT, and of course the enthusiasts will say MT MT MT!

Any drawbacks for an MT noob?

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The constant shifting of the gears in Dallas Traffic. That alone will wear you out. However that obvious point being said (I have a mt). I really enjoy it. I would much rather have the mt since I was extemely bored with my last car (had automatic)

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im extraordinarily skilled at avoiding the stop and go traffic in Dallas (thankfully I live inside 635 and avoid getting on it like the plague).

But with sudden stops and whatnot, I might not get my foot on the clutch (AT hangover). Guess it would just stall (bfd right?). More disturbing possibility would be that I hit clutch not brake.

It's this kind of foolishness that sort of worries me. Everyone says it becomes second nature real fast.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
It will become second nature real quick. And when you get into an AT car/suv, you will invariably wonder where the clutch is, and try to shift the car into the applicable gears. Unfortunately the definitive pattern of at cars is up and down in one line not 3...

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing. I got in to test drive, engine already running. And since its so quiet I conveniently forgot that fact. Put hand on shifter to push it through the pattern, and salesman said, dont forget your clutch. Duh. Dummy. This is a sign from God that maybe I shouldn't do this.

But all was ok except pushing over to 5th, but I caught it each time before dumping clutch.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I've never owned an MT, but, based on "reading between the lines" of your posts, including how you answered johnej's point about Dallas traffic, PLUS WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE TSX MT (which, as you know, is considered quite extraordinary) -- it sounds like you'll do well to get the MT.

And there's the added bonus that it gets you out of that "hold" mess.

As they say, can't go wrong either way. But my crystal ball says, "MT."

But of course DO consider very closely what johnej said.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
True story. A friend of mine bought a MT RSX-S. He never had owned a MT before. Before 4 months had passed since taking ownership, he flipped the car on a highway offramp. Completely totalled. Part of the blame goes to him for being in the wrong gear. But the alcohol he drank before driving probably was the real culprit. He came out of it without a scratch.

Sounds like you feel comfortable enough to buy a MT. I say go with the CG 6MT or PWP 5AT.

The whole "hold" mess sounds way too fishy to me. I wouldn't risk my $26K on it. If not, wait couple more months, save up a bigger deposit, and get one from the newer batch without the "hold" issues.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A part of all this is I have really hot pants to own a TSX. Moving from the PWP to the CG was motivated by that in part, but now I'm satisfied that CG is for me.

I had originally intended to test drive an MT, but they didn't have one ready to go when I went by. I was satisfied by the AT.

I'm not too worried about the stop n go traffic. I am worried about maybe doing something stupid (besides speeding) with an MT. Standing on the clutch for a panic stop for instance (I do one of these about once every five years so . . . .).

I'm not really hearing that you guys fear a novice MT driver out there. Mostly an issue of stalls and grinds? Sounds like what your friend did had more to do with speed than gear, Whatcham?

Also, has anyone ever HATED a manual? Aside from the minor inconvenience in stop n go?

Thanks.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Sometimes, I wish I had the MT TSX. I'm not a pro at it either..driven AT's all my life. Except a few years ago when my friend taught me how to drive an MT. And yes, I have not liked an MT...still do. My sister's Solara that I'm babysitting...I have to engage the clutch pedal just right in order to get it into first sometimes. She says she doesn't notice it, but she's been used to it ever since she got it.

Anyways, I took control of her car over a year ago and I too had your same worries (biggest was shifting into the wrong gear)...but I got over it after a couple of weeks of driving her car.

If you know how to drive an MT and don't really have traffic worries, I'd say get it. You may have some hiccups here and there initiallly, but in time you will learn all the "tricks" in driving an MT and it will become second nature to you...and of course your worries will start to fade away.

BTW, I got an AT because of traffic. The day I picked up my TSX (hour away), I was stuck in traffic for about 2 hours. And this was at 10 at night!! (IL only has two seasons: road construction and winter :D )

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
The TSX is my second MT car....I had a '93 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT, but I gave that to my cousins in Toronto last May. Then I went and bought the TSX. I sometimes have regrets getting the MT cuz I hate the stop and go traffic in Chicago. It takes a toll on my legs. Plus, the AT gets 32MPG on the highway vs. 29MPG with the 6MT, but probably some of you would say who cares! I average around 22MPG in mixed driving in my TSX. I wish it was better considering the prices of gas now!

Sometimes I wish I got an AT TSX instead, but MT is still fun!

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much guys. MT its gonna be.

Which means I take delivery today.

Woohooo!:wiggle: :woot:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
Thanks very much guys. MT its gonna be.

Which means I take delivery today.

Woohooo!:wiggle: :woot:
Awesome! Congrats in advance!!!
Driving MT will become second nature with practice :mardi:
Joker - who loves MT, and wouldn't have it any other way :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Acura TSX or for that matter a brand new car is not a good choice to learn how to drive a MT.
I would get a old $500 Mustang and beat the crap out of it before you get into a new MT car.
I learned on a 340hp 89 Mustang GT :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes -- except that from what everybody seems to have reported about the MT in the TSX, it's easy to handle even for beginners, and very user-friendly, maybe more so than in any other car.

So it seems the TSX can legitimately be considered an exception.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now you chime in!

Well I'm a mechanical engineer by training, so I have a pretty good sensitivity to machinery generally.

I'm not learning standard, I know how to do it and can shift up n down the range without grinding or making anyone cringe.

I'd do a terrible job on a quarter or 0-60 and have never driven one day in and day out.

I dont think I'll mash it too badly.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
Now you chime in!

Well I'm a mechanical engineer by training, so I have a pretty good sensitivity to machinery generally.

I'm not learning standard, I know how to do it and can shift up n down the range without grinding or making anyone cringe.

I'd do a terrible job on a quarter or 0-60 and have never driven one day in and day out.

I dont think I'll mash it too badly.
:nervous: :nervous:

First of all, to netoperek: Well, I gotta say, maybe you're right, because I really don't know -- I'm just going by how everybody with a TSX manual seems to say how user-friendly and almost idiot-proof it is. And it does sound like that's pretty true, even though we've also had a few stories about burned-out clutches, which didn't seem to have much if anything to do with inexperience.

So....you're not regretting it, Mark, are you? :D

I have a feeling it'll be fine. Hope you'll be letting us know how you do as you go along, including how many hours or days or weeks it takes before you feel ready to stand up against anybody on 0-60 and quarter miles!

(Not just being gracious, I'm really curious! Because I'd be a noob at it too.)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The TSX has a smoother shifting transmission than my RX-7 or my wifes Ranger pickup. The only thing hard to get used to is the start from a dead stop. I still have a tendency to jerk some....Drats drive by wire....:)

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it about 6PM today. Drove 30 miles on backish roads to get "feel." Yes I'm still a bit rough on start, just a bit. And the 1st to 2nd shift is somehow earlier than my brain thinks it ought to be, so a bit o buck there.

Otherwise, I'm already gettin comfy and LIKIN IT!

Thanks guys. ITS A GREAT CAR!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts