Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've had my TSX for about a month now but this is actually my very first post. I actually read this site from front to back before making my decision to purchase the TSX.....just have to say this is a great site with lots of helpful info.

Now to my stupid question.....how do I remove the plastic cover on the map lights? I've replaced the door and rear dome light with LED's and the plastic cover came off very easily. However, the map lights are a bit more difficult because they actually turn the light on and off when pressed. Please, can someone explain this to me because i'm sure it's as easy as the other lights, I just don't want to be to rough with it because it appears very fragile. Thanks!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Huh.....I don't even remember any plastic cover on the map lights!

Maybe the dealer had already taken it off?

If there was any when I got the car, I'm sure it just peeled off easily (or something like that), or else I'd remember it.

P.S. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Larch!

People were right when they said you reply quick! Anyways, just to clarify, the plastic i'm referring to is the lense for the light itself. Does that help? It's the clear lense for the light (the part you remove to replace the bulb). I hope this clarifies this for everyone. Thanks!

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Ashyne said:
Wow Larch!

People were right when they said you reply quick! Anyways, just to clarify, the plastic i'm referring to is the lense for the light itself. Does that help? It's the clear lense for the light (the part you remove to replace the bulb). I hope this clarifies this for everyone. Thanks!
HI and welcome. I removed all the interior bulbs and replaced with blue lighting. The map lights seem a little more tricky, but really they are just the same. Just get a flathead screwdriver, and pop out one side like you would do to all the other lights. Then hold the side you popped out with your fingernail, while you pop out the other side with the screwdriver...it should come off with a little force.

·
The Bay State
931 Posts
pocketkiller said:
HI and welcome. I removed all the interior bulbs and replaced with blue lighting. The map lights seem a little more tricky, but really they are just the same. Just get a flathead screwdriver, and pop out one side like you would do to all the other lights. Then hold the side you popped out with your fingernail, while you pop out the other side with the screwdriver...it should come off with a little force.
How does it look with all the blue light inside your TSX?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ashyne said:
..... the plastic i'm referring to is the lense for the light itself. Does that help?....
Yes indeed!

I have a feeling the other people would have understood anyway.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
APOGEE said:
How does it look with all the blue light inside your TSX?
Unfortunately no I do not have pics. It looks really great, and many people have commented when they get in my car. Especially at night time, when you click the remote to open the door and you get in and all the blue lights are on. Personally, I think the white bulbs are too bright, especially when its night time and you are driving trying to turn on the map light, it just burns your eyes. The blue is just softer, and matches the 2 blue ambient lights already in the car (3 if you count the ignition keyhole light). This is a very cheap change. You can actually pull this off for under $5. There are 2 ways to do this

1) Purchase the 5 blue bulbs online for about $5 each. (beware not to confuse the blue bulb with a light that looks blue, but is really just hyper-white)
2) Go to your local auto store and purchase some blue rubber light bulb covers, that you can just slip over the OEM light bulbs. This will just require some quick cutting with scissors to fit the size of each bulb.

Just remember to get all 5 lights. 1 in each front door, 2 front map lights, and 1 rear cabin light. Also, these lights are different sizes, so if you are going route #1, then you need to take out the bulbs first to check the size. This is a very simple fix, and all you will need are scissors and a flathead screwdriver. It really makes the interior look great. The only warning I will give if you are a person who can't see something unless you have super bright lights, because the blue won't be as bright as the regular bulbs, but it still plenty of light to see what you need to see IMHO.

Here is an example of each - not the cheapest place to buy, but you get the idea.

http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/aumelibuco3.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

Pocketkiller, you reply was clear and concise, I will give it another try. I figured it was the same way as the other bulbs but I didnt want to be too rough with it. Thanks again!

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Ashyne said:
Thanks for the replies guys!

Pocketkiller, you reply was clear and concise, I will give it another try. I figured it was the same way as the other bulbs but I didnt want to be too rough with it. Thanks again!
Yea its hinged a bit differently, just pull it straight down when you are trying to force it off. don't pull it to the side.

So did you get them off yet?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did the same for my TSX. The map light lens are easy to come out, you just need to be very careful not to use too much force and crack it. You need a thin flat screw driver and pry near the inner edge where two lens are close together. I pry from the edge that is closest to the wind shield and just wiggle it out. Do it closest to the corner of the hinge side as possible. In case any one wondering. The light bulb size are here:

TSX light bulb guide

T13 is actually the wedge bulb or 194 or 168 size that we usually use for older version honda side marker or corners.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

Just an update, I haven't had the time to change those bulbs yet but I will likely do it sometime this weekend. After all the good advice and easy instructions i've received from this thread, i'm sure it won't be a problem.

By the way, in case I didn't mention, the bulbs i got are all white LED's....I had all blue LED's in my EL and i'm going for a cleaner more luxury look this time. Just gotta find somewhere local to pick up those PIAA Tera plate bulbs that are super super bright and i'm all set. I'll let you guys know how it goes and post pix for those who are interested. Thanks for the input!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Ashyne said:
Just gotta find somewhere local to pick up those PIAA Tera plate bulbs that are super super bright and i'm all set.
I've got 10 sets in transit from Japan. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts