Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How ya doin' club?

My friend knows a Honda mechanic and he does some nasty work rebuilding K's and rebuilding transmissions too. I asked for his opinion since I plan to overhaul my car with a tune up since it almost has 120k.

I noticed my car started burning more oil than usual, he told me K's tend to wear their stock piston rings around my mileage, I also have been having some fun with my car lately too so this is a concern for me. The mechanic told me for the price I plan on spending to tune my baby up, I can pay for a 08 TSX motor and trans with lower miles, use some of my old hardware and swap that in.

First off I want to know.. Am I stupid for believing him or could this be a benefit for me? Second, could this directly swap in with out any problems? I'm looking for as much input as possible because I found a few motors online already at junkyards, with 20k-40k miles for under 2 grand, I'll probably hop onto one of those deals soon but I would love to hear some input from other people on here who know more than me :)

Thanks guys! -Matt

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
youre crazy????

1) just rebuilding the motor is cheaper than replacing it with a completely same motor with only a little more gain.

my point is, just fix the issue, its a honda motor, its not an american motor where it will give up on you with only a little over 100k.

2) youre lucky to have an 05, but if you want to make an 08 motor run on your car youll probably need Kpro to get the most out of it. but if youre going that far youre better off buying another car thats featherweight and slap that motor into it(Civic/RSX/Fit)

check out this video

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RwRiPF_Qpcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ I see what you're saying since I don't have any thing else really wrong with my motor now, but my piston rings are starting to wear I'm assuming since I smoke at high RPM's.

btw that video is sex, I saved it for ever.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You won't need Kpro.. a guy here had an 04/05 and swapped in an 06 motor. I'm not sure if he kept his 04/05 ECU or used an 06+ ECU. But it has been done before.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
@120K miles it's just getting nice and broken in.:) Unless something is wrong with it, I'd leave it alone and rebuild or replace only if needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@120K miles it's just getting nice and broken in.:) Unless something is wrong with it, I'd leave it alone and rebuild or replace only if needed.

Haha I hear that :laugh:

I gotta do the tune up on it any way, I was planning on head gasket, chain, tensioner, water pump, plugs, not sure exactly what else I would need to do just to make it run at least another 100k. I do drive rough and the rings worry me because I know they won't be cheap to replace... This is my perspective on all the stuff I would to my motor if I didn't swap it

But my other perspective is the new motor will have lower miles, I have nothing to replace yet like I listed above either. So I'm still kinda confused on the next step I want to take :squint:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts