Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am lost on what the switch in my cubby is for? It’s on the right side.... Can someone please let me know what it’s for? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it's an aftermarket little red button... Don't push it. At least, don't push it an odd number of times.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Something aftermarket. Is there an aftermarket alarm, lights, or anything like that installed? Maybe an automatic center console cleaning robot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pic?
[/
Something aftermarket. Is there an aftermarket alarm, lights, or anything like that installed? Maybe an automatic center console cleaning robot?
I’m thinking it’s the same thing. It dies have remote start yet I had to put my own valet button on it to program more fobs... the only thing I can tell is when I was listening to my church being broadcasted over fm there was some hmm noise and when I flipped it it mostly went away... guess I will tell people it’s the eject button... lol. Only had the car for a couple months

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok. Pic added
That's not stock so whatever it does, if you can't find out from whoever did it, you'll have to figure out by tracing wires.

Or just flipping it on and off and seeing if you notice anything different. If not... Leave it off?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Since it's obviously aftermarket, it probably goes along with some other modification done to this car. What are they?

Extra lighting somewhere is my guess. If it was audio related you should hear the difference, and most audio control extensions are not on/off (like a subwoofer bass control would be a knob or slider). And if the bulb(s) have burned out for some kind of ambient or exterior ground lighting effect, you'll never know what the switch does until someday you or a mechanic working on that area goes "WTF is this?".

Second guess is something electrical, like making your 12V cigarette port power directly off of the battery (instead of being tied to the ignition being either ON or in ACCESSORY mode with the one-turn key thing). I had a switch like that put in for a car I left street parked with an aftermarket alarm in it that drew enough power that if I didn't drive it for 3 weeks, drained the battery. So I got a solar panel that could charge the battery, it connected through the 12V cigarette port, but for that to work while the car was parked I had to wire that port to tap the battery directly... Which also meant that I wanted to make it switchable so using the 12V port for a TPMS monitor wouldn't constantly draw while parked.

I only flipped that switch to "direct link to battery" when using the solar panel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My guess is it is a bypassed kill switch for the fuel pump or the ignition. The location is puzzling because from the picture it appears to be mounted on the side of the cubby. If it is, the body of the switch would be in the way of removing or inserting the cubby so it must be a snap in. A permanent hidden installation makes more sense if it is for theft prevention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mystery solved. It’s for an aux input for the radio that of course is an old iPhone connector in the arm rest...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mystery solved. It’s for an aux input for the radio that of course is an old iPhone connector in the arm rest...
Ah, and the switch isn't on/off but A/B, shunting the input to the iPhone connector (or iPod - this is the old 30 pin rectangle looking thing, right?) from one of the XM radio inputs, because the 04-05 TSX's didn't have an AUX input jack, right?

On the plus side that probably means you can charge your iPhone with that connector while playing music from it, if you have an iPhone that is, and get the right kind of data+audio 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter. And probably use the steering wheel controls to select music. And if the cord is long enough, and you can put the phone where you can see it, to use it for Maps with the turn by turn directions coming over the audio system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, and the switch isn't on/off but A/B, shunting the input to the iPhone connector (or iPod - this is the old 30 pin rectangle looking thing, right?) from one of the XM radio inputs, because the 04-05 TSX's didn't have an AUX input jack, right?

On the plus side that probably means you can charge your iPhone with that connector while playing music from it, if you have an iPhone that is, and get the right kind of data+audio 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter. And probably use the steering wheel controls to select music. And if the cord is long enough, and you can put the phone where you can see it, to use it for Maps with the turn by turn directions coming over the audio system.
Yes it’s an old 30 pin connector. I do have an iPhone yet I just use a Bluetooth fm modulator to play my music... now if the actual installation kit for the radio (exactly where the factory one is at) wasn’t over 200$ I’d put an aftermarket radio in it. Just isn’t worth it to this JL AUDIO fan of 25 or so years to do it. The radio sounds pretty good for pioneer system. And adapter would probably work yet I most likely won’t even try one. Wasn’t til I had to enter the radio code after replacing the alternator I noticed a note stating what the switch was for.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There’s an aux button on the radio yet no 3.5mm jack or anything.
The 3.5mm jack is next to the 12V port in the storage space under the armrest

Sounds like that's where the iPod cable is coming out from, but if the previous owner full on replaced the jack why have a switch?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts