Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in Toronto can I get a switchblade key milled to replace the original stock key/remote that comes with the tsx (2007)? I know HeelToe does it but I'm looking for something local in Toronto.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you're looking for somewhere local, you should at least get the switchblade first. You can try your local locksmith if they have the equipment to program the key. If not, you're going to have to take it to the dealership. Either way its going to be expensive! The switchblade is cool and all, but is it really worth 200+$???

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Where can I get the switchblade from?
The only place in Toronto to purchase a switchblade key is the dealership but those tend to be overpriced. Your best bet is online but mind you the key is made for the TL, so the key blank needs to be milled down to a specific thickness. You can check out local machine shops to see how much they charge for labor for milling. So your options are to buy one online and mod it yourself like some members here, search " switchblade hybrid" or you can buy from the sponsor on this forum heeltoe which provides the full service to get the key milled and programmed or you can buy a replica switchblade key on eBay.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just bought one off ebay for $65. Should be here in a week or two. I have someone at a lock smith cutting it for me for free and know someone at a Honda dealer that is going to program it for a good price.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only place in Toronto to purchase a switchblade key is the dealership but those tend to be overpriced. Your best bet is online but mind you the key is made for the TL, so the key blank needs to be milled down to a specific thickness. You can check out local machine shops to see how much they charge for labor for milling. So your options are to buy one online and mod it yourself like some members here, search " switchblade hybrid" or you can buy from the sponsor on this forum heeltoe which provides the full service to get the key milled and programmed or you can buy a replica switchblade key on eBay.
I just bought one off ebay for $65. Should be here in a week or two. I have someone at a lock smith cutting it for me for free and know someone at a Honda dealer that is going to program it for a good price.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
160 Posts
First one I got was cheap quality and I wasn't satisfied. I ended up sending it back and they sent me an OEM key for a TL (I believe) that has been milled down to work as a TSX key. Feels a lot better and I will be getting it cut and programmed in a few weeks when I am back from holidays.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts

Who is doing the milling for you?

cutting is getting the keys groove to match up.........milling is actually making the blank thinner in terms of depth.....

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
I want a switchblade key.

·
Registered
350 Posts
How much are they asking for the milling portion, usually?

Can't see them asking higher then the switchblade itself...

That part wouldn't cost me much since I'm a machinist and yes, I'd love to have those keys but I would rather get that A-spec front spoiler instead.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
How much are they asking for the milling portion, usually?

Can't see them asking higher then the switchblade itself...

That part wouldn't cost me much since I'm a machinist and yes, I'd love to have those keys but I would rather get that A-spec front spoiler instead.
Heeltoe charges $60 if you send them a switchblade to get milled. A new milled switchblade costs $130 from them.

Can non-dealer people program the chip/immobilizer?

I ask because for my previous car a locksmith (actually situated in a kiosk in front of the DMV in Brooklyn NY) sold me a new remote and programed it (infiniti i35) for $30 and cut and programmed a new key (aftermarket branded key) for $40. He plugged the new key into the ignition and plugged in a book style machine into the OBD2 port.

If such can be done we can save the $125 or so dealers charge to program the chip...as for cutting the milled key and any locksmith can do it...and programming the lock/unlock buttons we can do on our own...

$150-160 for a milled, programmed, cut key is worth it IMO. Esp for some of us (like me) who is missing a key/keyfob. But close to $300? Nahhh lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Heeltoe charges $60 if you send them a switchblade to get milled. A new milled switchblade costs $130 from them.

Can non-dealer people program the chip/immobilizer?

I ask because for my previous car a locksmith (actually situated in a kiosk in front of the DMV in Brooklyn NY) sold me a new remote and programed it (infiniti i35) for $30 and cut and programmed a new key (aftermarket branded key) for $40. He plugged the new key into the ignition and plugged in a book style machine into the OBD2 port.

If such can be done we can save the $125 or so dealers charge to program the chip...as for cutting the milled key and any locksmith can do it...and programming the lock/unlock buttons we can do on our own...

$150-160 for a milled, programmed, cut key is worth it IMO. Esp for some of us (like me) who is missing a key/keyfob. But close to $300? Nahhh lol.
I completely agree with that statement. I'm in the same boat, just bought my 04 two months ago, only came with one key and one remote.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is how my key came:

I just need to get it cut and programmed, which should cost me about $20-30.

So for about $100 I got a fully functional 2004 TSX switchblade key.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know if it is actually OEM, might just be "OEM spec". The Acura logo on the back is small, not large like I have seen on most.

I could ask the seller if they have more?

Here's what she said when I was complining about the quality of the first blade key I got:
"Acura present switchblade key remote after year2008,and change the key blade to laser cut key blade(the key blade is different to old model),but I buy switchblade key remote from Acura sand milled the key blade to match the old model,and remote and chip works on your 2004 TSX for sure,I don't have many available because it's very difficult to milled the key blade,let me know if you want to replace it,it's very good key."

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
I don't know if it is actually OEM, might just be "OEM spec". The Acura logo on the back is small, not large like I have seen on most.

I could ask the seller if they have more?

Here's what she said when I was complining about the quality of the first blade key I got:
"Acura present switchblade key remote after year2008,and change the key blade to laser cut key blade(the key blade is different to old model),but I buy switchblade key remote from Acura sand milled the key blade to match the old model,and remote and chip works on your 2004 TSX for sure,I don't have many available because it's very difficult to milled the key blade,let me know if you want to replace it,it's very good key."
hmm thanks for all your help. I found a seller on ebay last night (ebay is blocked at work :() for $124. Same concept, but his pics only show 2 buttons (no trunk release)+ panic.

I'll try to find it and link it here tonight.

If possible, could you post detailed pics (i know im asking a lot lol..) of your switchblade? :) Thanks again for all your help :):):)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anyone interested in a key like mine, send me a PM and I will give you the ebay seller's name that I got mine from. She said she has a few more but not a lot because they are hard to mill and easy to screw up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts