Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is supposed to be a 17 gallon tank but everytime I go to the pump on empty, I get only 14. Are they hiding 3 gallons to make sure people don't run out of gas?

How many gallons does it take to fill your tanks?

Thanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, it's normal to have an X amount of litres or gallons in your tank. The fuel warning lamp is designed to have an ample amount of fuel just in case. I'd be worried if I was always filling it up to the exact tank size.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I usually fill 12 every time...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
The TSX's gas tank is 17.1 gallons. The light comes on when the tank has 13.2 gallons. When the light comes on the reserve kicks in and its around 4 gallons, which is plenty to find a gas station to fill up.

I usually fill up to like 14.0-15.0 gallons.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

This does make figuring out how many MPG I am getting a lil difficult: Do I divide by 14 or 17?

I think I will just wait until it hits the same red spot (which takes 14 gallons to fill from) & divide by that .... I guess

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Yea, I ignore my gas light at least for another 50 miles or so. I guess the navi is tuned the same way cause it will say your range is down to 0, but I've driven long after that.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
To get correct gas mileage, divide # of miles driven by the # of gallons you actually put in the tank (14).

I usually drive about 90 miles after the light goes on, and subsequently fill up 15.5 gallons.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
pocketkiller said:
To get correct gas mileage, divide # of miles driven by the # of gallons you actually put in the tank (14).

I usually drive about 90 miles after the light goes on, and subsequently fill up 15.5 gallons.
That's right about how to calculate -- with the caveat that every fill-up is a little different (i.e. how much you do or don't top it off), so you would need to average a few go-arounds to get a really accurate figure. But you get a fairly accurate figure from just one fill-up.

PK is pretty adventurous with how far he takes it. :D
I'm pretty adventurous too, and I've had several fill-ups of about 15.5 gallons. But I also ran out of gas once.

·
Who wishes he had a 6MT
34 Posts
I usually fill up 15.5 gal. too, but the pump will stop automatically at 14gal then I pump it very slowly to 15.5 - 15.9. On a really full tank toped off to the max. I get about 50 miles before the needle leaving the full mark. After that, the needle drops pretty fast. I guess redline 1st and 2nd gear really hurts mpg... :cool:

I'd like to get an idea of max. miles you guys have put on one full tank.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
FearthisTSX said:
....I'd like to get an idea of max. miles you guys have put on one full tank.
I don't recall anybody getting anything higher than the 15's.
I think your 15.9 might be the highest in recorded history. :nod:

edit: I can't read!!! :slapping self in head real hard:
My maximum that I've observed is in the low 400's.
I probably did more than that the time I ran out of gas :D but I don't know what the mileage was that time.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
FearthisTSX said:
I usually fill up 15.5 gal. too, but the pump will stop automatically at 14gal then I pump it very slowly to 15.5 - 15.9. On a really full tank toped off to the max. I get about 50 miles before the needle leaving the full mark. After that, the needle drops pretty fast. I guess redline 1st and 2nd gear really hurts mpg... :cool:

My highest mileage per tank is 443.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
FearthisTSX said:

My highest mileage per tank is 443. My average is 400.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
My average range in my TSX is around 365 miles, the highest I got was 480 miles.

It took 14.8 gallons to fill up on that 480 miles if I remember correctly....puts it a little over 32MPG, not bad! Oh, and I drove from Chicago to Washington DC on that trip....stopped for fuel twice.

·
Who wishes he had a 6MT
34 Posts
larchmont said:
I don't recall anybody getting anything higher than the 15's.
I think your 15.9 might be the highest in recorded history. :nod:
Well you've had several fill-ups of about 15.5 gallons, 15.9 is not too far off.
The gauge was on the red empty line, just a few mm away from the "E" (resting point when the car is of).
Try what I said. once the pump stops, pull out the nozzle a little and keep pumping very slowly. Do it several times pulling out the nozzle 1/2 inch everytime. I was able to put in about an additional gallon by doing that.

I hate going to the gas station, so I try to fill up as much as possible once i'm there.

·
Who wishes he had a 6MT
34 Posts
pocketkiller said:
My highest mileage per tank is 443. My average is 400.
I average about 300. Could there be something wrong with my car?
I guess you don't do a lot of city driving and your TSX is 6MT. I sit in traffic most of the time, and I have a 5AT.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me too

On my first attempt I got about 300 ... that is assuming I got the gallons right bc I had to guesstimate it by where the arrow was on my fuel gauge. I hope that I did it wrong bc I do about 50% highway miles & I never redline my car or anything drastic like that so I hope to get more than 21MPG.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its crazy to think that the light comes on and I still have nearly a quarter of a tank of gas to go... If I could manage to get 30mpg and drive on the whole tank.. I could break that 500miles per tank mark... but I'm not that daring. :)

I've been out of town for 2weeks driving my chevy 2500 HD, jusy back this morning, time to take the TSX out for a spin in the cold weather. rrrrrrrrr6

1 - 20 of 48 Posts