Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to start installing my stereo system in my TSX, and have been doing a lot of research on it. I have gotton a lot of good information, but still have some un-answered questions.

First, I've read that you should not "cut" any wires on either of the 2 amplifier wire harnesses, but to "tap" into them. My question is, do the harnesses need to remain plugged into the amp if I plan to bypass it completely? (If they don't need to stay plugged in, wouldn't it be nice if Metra could make a wire harness to plug into the amp wire harnesses, since that's where most of the stereo wires we need are anyway?)

Second, if memory serves me correct, I think I read that the harnesses need to stay plugged into the amp because of the FM antenna booster wire. I'm assuming that the wire is in both harnesses, one going in and one coming out. If that is the case, can they just be jumped?

Speaking of the FM antenna booster, I read that putting amps in the trunk causes interference with the FM antenna. How true is this, and is there any more specifics on it? My original plan is to build a rack that would suspend the amps from the top of the rear deck, but that would obviously be a bad choice if they will cause interference with the FM reception.

Also, can anyone give me feedback on how an install went by tapping into the factory pre-out wires? How did it work, and how does it sound? My plan is to use the stock deck, but add a DIN-mounted DSP. Will this cause any engine noises?

Finally, does anyone have any pics or instruction on how you installed a din- style unit in the front tray under the stereo? What was cut, etc.? Would I be better off buying another tray to do it? I want to retain the door on it, for "stealth mode".

I think that should do it for now, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can cut wires on the amp, even leave it unplugged, it does no harm. I cut all the speaker wires on mine except the rear door speakers. My fronts and new rear deck subs are amplified by an aftermarket amp. I kept the rear doors hooked up just for fill. I can fade to the rear if anyone riding back there wants to listen, otherwise I always keep if faded forward anyway. FM booster is on the drivers side C pillar and is not connected to the amp in any way. My aftermarket amp is on the back of the rear seat and causes no interferance with FM. I've installed hundreds of systems in many high end cars and have never even heard of this. I cut the wires coming from the stock radio and used a Soundgate LOCB.2 to convert it to RCA. Sounds awesome and no engine noise. The only installs I've seen in the pocket were people cutting a DIN sized hole right into the door.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
I've heard the class D mono amps may effect the AM reception and weakin the FM reception a little bit. I don't have one myself, this is just what I've heard from others.

It's kinda funny because some people say it has effected them, while others have not noticed any change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've never heard of either. Most people with big class D amps aren't going to be listening to AM though. Class D amps use a rather noisy DC switching power supply that might give off RF frequencies your AM antenna could pick up. It would just sound like a fast clicking. But, like I said, I've never heard it or heard of it.
FM is too high in the frequency band for any kind of amp to affect reception.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Radio harness

Hey I got a quick question? I took out the factory bass speakers on the 04 tsx and put two voice speakers what wires do I need to tap in too behind the radio?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking after I find out the wires that I need to tap in to put a high low and throw the rca wires to an amp and let it rock like that. Is it possible?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts