Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tapping noise at idle and it louder in person. The noise kind of goes away if I rev it but I heard the noise between 2-3 thousand rpm when under load in 2-3 gear. Acura said they did the valve lash adjustment but I don’t believe they did. Im pretty familiar with Honda’s and i know it’s not an injector Tick, can anyone help?here is the noise >>>>Engine noise

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are YouTube videos on how to check the valve clearances if you can pick up a set of feeler gauges.
If not take it to another shop and get a report on the valve clearances.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
538 Posts
Yeah I think I’m going to do that, Acura says they don’t hear it. Do you hear it in the video ?
It does sound like the valves need adjustment. You can tell by the consistency and rate. You won't be able to tell if they are the intake, exhaust or both until you measure their gaps.

I would recommend getting the bent feeler gauges as they make it much easier to adjust the rear (exhaust) valves. Make sure the engine is cold (let it cool overnight) and be consistent with the angle that you measure each valve's clearance. A little difference in angle will give you false friction and produce noise. I was careful but yet had to do it twice with more attention to this. The second time was the charm and got rid of residual noise. There's also a tool for adjusting valves (Alltrade 648827 10mm 7-1/2-Inch Jam Nut Valve Adjustment Tool) that makes it easier in case you don't want to use a screw driver and wrench to adjust and tighten the valves.

You usually have to have a lot of miles when your valves need adjustment but it varies greatly from car to car. I did mine at about 125k but I've heard of people having to do it as soon as 50k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does sound like the valves need adjustment. You can tell by the consistency and rate. You won't be able to tell if they are the intake, exhaust or both until you measure their gaps.

I would recommend getting the bent feeler gauges as they make it much easier to adjust the rear (exhaust) valves. Make sure the engine is cold (let it cool overnight) and be consistent with the angle that you measure each valve's clearance. A little difference in angle will give you false friction and produce noise. I was careful but yet had to do it twice with more attention to this. The second time was the charm and got rid of residual noise. There's also a tool for adjusting valves (Alltrade 648827 10mm 7-1/2-Inch Jam Nut Valve Adjustment Tool) that makes it easier in case you don't want to use a screw driver and wrench to adjust and tighten the valves.

You usually have to have a lot of miles when your valves need adjustment but it varies greatly from car to car. I did mine at about 125k but I've heard of people having to do it as soon as 50k.
Thank you for that information, I knew something sounded off. I think I’m going to bring it to my friends shop and let it sit and then I’ll do it when it’s cold.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They can still make that noise after a valve adjustment. As long as they arent too tight or loose, if honda cracked open the valve cover you should be good. that's all that matters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.