Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some posts about the Hondata heatshield gasket over at *********.com and i saw something about a TB coolant bypass mod. I read that this is a 2 dollar mod and supposivly helps a little to keep the air cooler. It something about rerouting the coolant hoses so they dont run through the throttle body. If anyone knows anything about this, or exactly what it is you do to do this please post here. I havent found any other info on here about it, so maybe someone can put some info or a write-up about it here. THanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Haven't done this mod on the CL9 but have on my AP1 and EK9. It's a 5 minute job to simply re-route/block-off. But it doesn't really improve any cooling on my constant temperature readings (Oil and water temp). So if you ask me whether I'm gonna do it again, I wouldn't bother.

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, what i figured from the start. Just sounded like something worth looking into.

·
Shift_ Poor
64 Posts
Noel said:
Haven't done this mod on the CL9 but have on my AP1 and EK9. It's a 5 minute job to simply re-route/block-off. But it doesn't really improve any cooling on my constant temperature readings (Oil and water temp). So if you ask me whether I'm gonna do it again, I wouldn't bother.
Some folks swear by doing this mod that the air passing through the throttle body is cooler, I believe this but do not think it is worth enough for the trouble. Also if you live in a area that can get pretty cold, you would be risking your butterfly to possible be stuck by not having that heat passing around/through it. I was once told that is the reason it is even designed that way.

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
then theoretically, if i live in florida the sunshine state, it shouldnt really hurt to try it at all. I tried to look at my tb, but i couldnt tell which hoses were supposed to go where, and which to block off

·
Registered
22 Posts
The TB bypass mod is not meant to make the coolant cooler but rather keep the TB from getting hot by eliminating hot coolant flowing through it. Just remove the two small coolant hoses on the TB and join them together with a fitting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually did mine today. It was a pain. The purpose of the Hondata Heatshield gasket is to reduce the temp from the engine to produce more hp about 5hp, coolant is blocked off from going into the intake manifold and re routed to go back into the engine. Noticed a big difference.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
4,232 Posts
One guy on the other forum did the mod wrong and ended up hydrolocking the engine with coolant and having to rebbuild it.

·
Not Fast Enough...
164 Posts
I did this mod, along with the thermal gasket; and noticed a big difference. No matter how long or hard I drive when I pop the hood the IM and TB are at most warm. The power gain is pretty good for only send $42 for both modds.There are 2 lines running into the TB, one on the bottom and one on the back side. Clamp off both hoses with vice grips, so fluid does go everywhere. Pick up a 5/16" straight fitting from lowes/home depot, I paid .96cents for mine. Then connect the two hose together. It's not nescessary to cap off the two places on the TB, but it looks better if you do. Just get some 5/16" caps from the auto parts store; and your done. If you do this mod I would recommend getting a thermal IM gasket as well. One of our Vendors(Corsport) sells the P2R IM gasket for $40 free shipping which is IMO a good deal.

·
What it is SON!
39 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i did it.. and i live in florida.. the difference is the throttle body isnt as hot therefore making the air that may flow through it cooler.. i believe in it

·
What it is SON!
39 Posts
What part of Fl u live in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like pretty mixed reviews. I am thinking about doing this as well. Could it depend on the climate you live in? If you live in a cooler climate, would you not notice it as much? I live in San Diego, do you think that with the warmer climate it might make a difference? Thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts