Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing my TSX this week and am going with the dealer that has given me the best customer service and price. The problem is, he needs to secure the vehicle from another dealership. Not a big deal to me. However, a few things concern me that I'd like advice on.

He says that they cannot do a trade unless I sign papers. That means I have to make two trips at 100 miles each direction, 400 miles total. The upside is that I won't have to pay any money until I receive the car. So what am I actually signing in the first contract? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If it is a contract that says "I will buy said car" then I am locked in for a vehicle that never arrives. I am not implying that they wouldn't deliver the vehicle, but say something happens like they (the dealers) cannot agree to a trade. Now they have me under legal obligation with a sales contract. I am not sure why I am required to sign any documenation if the vehicle is not present.

Another is the wear and tear and mileage put on as a result of the trade. That is, the 30-60 miles (or more!) that goes on the car being driven from the other dealer. What if the driver is hard on the engine, that'd just about defeat my trying to break it in. What if the car was a test drive model? Are they allowed to pass that off as new?

I am sure someone must have been in a similar situation before. Maybe you were waiting for a color to come in and your dealer said he located one in another dealership? Please let me know how I should proceed.

Thanks.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I don't see why you have to go there twice.
Why can't they FedEx you the stuff to sign, then you FedEx it back?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
sygyzy said:
Another is the wear and tear and mileage put on as a result of the trade. That is, the 30-60 miles (or more!) that goes on the car being driven from the other dealer. What if the driver is hard on the engine, that'd just about defeat my trying to break it in. What if the car was a test drive model? Are they allowed to pass that off as new?
If you don't want people to drive it, you might want to suggest to have the car towed or picked-up by a car freight and have it delivered. But of course, you'd probably have to pay for that. And no, a demo/test drive model cannot be passed or indicated as a new car under no circumstances worldwide.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
What the hey do I know, but I'd a helluva lot rather have it driven than towed (or even flat-bedded).

You mean y'all wouldn't?

Larchmont, who still wonders why they can't FedEx the stuff back and forth.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll address both replies.

1. I guess I could have them Fed Ex documents for me to sign but what if I wanted terms negotiated or things added. Then I would have to send it back to them and then back again, then back to them again. Each time I would probably be footing the bill. Next Day Fed Ex is expensive. I have not checked but probably $15+ each time? If I am sitting there, I assume the contract could be changed on the fly. I am mostly curious about *what* they are having me sign. I mean, what am I agreeing to? I know, I know. I am going to ask them the first chance I get tomorrow, but I was just hoping someone might know.

2. Flatbed would probably cost $350. I just thought of another solution. I could just pick it up at whichever dealer it is coming from. I wonder if they'd go for that. The only cons I can see are a. Most likely a further drive for me since there are no dealers really between my residence and the dealer I am purchasing from. That means it'd have to be past him. b. What if the dealer charged my dealer a delivery fee and my dealer conveniently forgets to take that off. Of course it won't be itemized into the price, it'll just raise it. If I agree on an OTD, I am hoping that whatever my dealer has to do to get my car, he should take care of, right? And not raise the price.

3. Good to hear about the demo car. I was afraid they might pass it off as new. I have no reason to think they would, but that's just paranoia speaking.

Hope I am not just babbling on here.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I thought it sounded like you already had all the details worked out -- and to your liking. After all, you said right at the beginning that you wanted to go with this dealer because they gave you the best service and price!!!

If not -- I don't see why you're dealing with them at all, in view of the distance.

If yes -- what else do you want to negotiate?? :donno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
First of all.

I have similar situation and many TSX club members helped me to do right things and I got the additional $300 discount.

If you have a time, please read my thread

My dealer said new TSXs was comming from Japan, the ship had been left on Jan 7th and I would get my TSX on Feb 6th or 7th.
The ship will arrive at CA on the end of the Fab and there is no need to be traded among dealers. As a result, If you wait for some time and the ship has the car you want, you can get the new TSX without contact of other dealers and additional charge since the TSX could come up on his monthly import shipment list.

In addition, when my dealer tried to find the TSX in other dealerships, I had same anxiety like you. But he said the TSX is always traded by flatbed and it cost b/w $300 and $500. that I needed to do is to give him a depoit. No sign for it.

I signed for just agreement of the credit report (I do not know the exact name of it sorry) and dealed the TSX via email. ( I keep the all emails from my dealer )

I think you should not sign for the car before you see it.

If you want to get the TSX after Fab, I can ask my dealer to find your car in the ship.
If so, give me the TSX informtaion that you want.

Have a great day

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
larchmont said:
I thought it sounded like you already had all the details worked out -- and to your liking. After all, you said right at the beginning that you wanted to go with this dealer because they gave you the best service and price!!!

If not -- I don't see why you're dealing with them at all, in view of the distance.

If yes -- what else do you want to negotiate?? :donno:

The deal was made over email. If I assume that all the terms will stay valid when it gets inked into a contract, then there goes some of my tension. But the bigger question is why am I signing anything if there is no car delivered. What exactly am I signing? Dealer got back to me and said that I would be signing the full agreement to purchase the car. He claims that if it does not get delivered then the contract is void by law. I am not a contract lawyer so I am not sure if this is the case.

I'd prefer to just pay a deposit then go from there. To me, getting it from a dealer or a factory should make no difference. Why would I have to sign anything differently?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hacker said:
First of all.

I have similar situation and many TSX club members helped me to do right things and I got the additional $300 discount.

If you have a time, please read my thread

My dealer said new TSXs was comming from Japan, the ship had been left on Jan 7th and I would get my TSX on Feb 6th or 7th.
The ship will arrive at CA on the end of the Fab and there is no need to be traded among dealers. As a result, If you wait for some time and the ship has the car you want, you can get the new TSX without contact of other dealers and additional charge since the TSX could come up on his monthly import shipment list.

In addition, when my dealer tried to find the TSX in other dealerships, I had same anxiety like you. But he said the TSX is always traded by flatbed and it cost b/w $300 and $500. that I needed to do is to give him a depoit. No sign for it.

I signed for just agreement of the credit report (I do not know the exact name of it sorry) and dealed the TSX via email. ( I keep the all emails from my dealer )

I think you should not sign for the car before you see it.

If you want to get the TSX after Fab, I can ask my dealer to find your car in the ship.
If so, give me the TSX informtaion that you want.

Have a great day
This is not really an option since I want the car now and not a month from now. Besides, all the ships have cars that are assigned to dealers/buyers. It's not just Acura sending over random cars to populate the dealer lots. They were all ordered by dealers. If my dealer isn't ordering that exact car, they still would need to trade for it. Also, in a month, the price might change from my dealer.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
This is all BS. You shouldnt sign anything unless your ready to take delivery right then and there. Are the two dealers Acura dealers? If so, your getting jerked around.

I put a $100 deposit down (would have gotten it back no matter what happened) and the dealer I went through transfered the car from another dealer. Car showed up, signed the paperwork, and off I drove.

Edit: Stop using email and CALL the person your dealing with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What did you sign when you put the $100. Surely, you must have filled out some sort of application.

·
...at a time...
9 Posts
I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I just signed a sales contract that they marked 'purchase order only', to hold the car I wanted that was coming in this week. I'm under no obligation to purchase it, if I decide not to. There was no payment involved.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
sygyzy said:
What did you sign when you put the $100. Surely, you must have filled out some sort of application.
No, no app. Just a sheet that basically said my deposit gives me first dibs on the next 6MT CG with Navi on the lot and that I would get this deposit back no matter what happened. They never even deposited the check.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts