Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been running on some Hawk HP+ pads and Brembo rotors for a couple of months now. I start noticing a groan when i'd brake at lower speeds. The noise has gotten progressively worse and worse and now when going slower speeds if I brake hard the grinding noise sounds like the pad or something is just eating the rotor.

What could cause this?

The noise is terrible to the point where I must not brake hard because I think something will destroy itself... by looking at the rotors they don't have any large grooves in them..

Please help

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i would probably take the wheels off and have a look. If something is grinding, you will find it. It will mar the metal somewhere. Could be a lose bolt, could be something on the pad. Until you take it apart its anyones guess.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Did you check both sides of the pads? I mean, there really is no way of looking at it besides taking off your rims and double checking to make sure your brakes have not been shot. Not only that, it gives you a better vision to see if there may be a needle or something stuck inside your brake pad+rotor.

Edit: Just repeated jvillefinest's answer, but oh well let us know if you find anything. :)
If you dont see anything I would personally take the pads off and inspect.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright so I took it all apart yesterday, everything was tight, caliper is not seized..

There was also nothing stuck in between. No abnormal wear.

One thing i did notice however was that the pads were very shiny. I think they might have glazed over, I tried sanding hem ever so slightly to no avail but I will try to sand them alot more on the weekend.

Could glazed pads make groaning/grinding noises??

They have also like 80% left on them, these things are brand new from the month of February lol

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Sand them down, there should be no shine to them. Once you do that you need to re-bed in the brakes. DO NOT skip this :)

Brake pad break-in procedure.

After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.
At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.
At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.
Do not hold brake pedal. Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.
If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal.

Important reminders:

Do not attempt to use badly worn or damaged rotors with new brake pads.
Do not drag brakes while car is moving during break-in procedure.
Do not engage pedal while car is stopped at any time following the break-in procedure.
Upon completing the procedure, allow the brake system to completely cool before racing.
Applying the pedal a few times before the start of the race will allow the brake pads to heat up before attempting to reach race speeds.
Clean a used rotor surface with fine sand paper or steel wool, rinse with water, dry and install before bedding new pads.
Some forms of racing don't allow time for the proper break-in procedure to be performed. However, it is still very important to attempt to perform at least the core of the procedure: slow heat build up and complete cool down.

Obviously you can skip the "Race" speeds part but that is HP's break in procedure Medium speeds is 30-40 and high speed is 50-60.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sand them down, there should be no shine to them. Once you do that you need to re-bed in the brakes. DO NOT skip this :)

Brake pad break-in procedure.

After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.
At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.
At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.
Do not hold brake pedal. Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.
If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal.

Important reminders:

Do not attempt to use badly worn or damaged rotors with new brake pads.
Do not drag brakes while car is moving during break-in procedure.
Do not engage pedal while car is stopped at any time following the break-in procedure.
Upon completing the procedure, allow the brake system to completely cool before racing.
Applying the pedal a few times before the start of the race will allow the brake pads to heat up before attempting to reach race speeds.
Clean a used rotor surface with fine sand paper or steel wool, rinse with water, dry and install before bedding new pads.
Some forms of racing don't allow time for the proper break-in procedure to be performed. However, it is still very important to attempt to perform at least the core of the procedure: slow heat build up and complete cool down.

Obviously you can skip the "Race" speeds part but that is HP's break in procedure Medium speeds is 30-40 and high speed is 50-60.
Yes i followed the break in procedure however I can't do the 50-60 without stopping completely since I have to drive through my neighborhood to get to the highway.

There are stop signs and traffic as well will this affect my break in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.