• No, would not want these.

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
04-08 TSX people....gauging interest in plain black (paintable) plastic door handle inserts to replace the chrome...cost estimated at $79 shipped for a set of four.

Would buy or would not buy?

******EDIT. $79 a set does not make this project look viable. However, what if the cost was $39 a set?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like the idea, I have vinyl covering the chrome right now. would the plastic be a more durable and sturdy material than vinyl?

·
Evan
1,090 Posts
Well, kinda yes. The stock ones get a little jacked up taking them off unless you are really careful. My chrome cracked a bit and I almost broke them. But, taking them off is totally doable...
did you do pics of taking them off? that kinda is a decision for me as well. I would like to see what all will be required to get them off.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well, kinda yes. The stock ones get a little jacked up taking them off unless you are really careful. My chrome cracked a bit and I almost broke them. But, taking them off is totally doable...
it's a nice idea, but it's confirmed that even for $80, it's too much work to do for such a small modification. At the end of the day even if you colormatch the strips, you still have a door handle that has the strip in it. That defeats the point since you would want to be painting it to get a "seamless look"

Although more expensive, it would be better to source door handles from '07-Up Honda CRVs. I hear those handles fit onto our car. They delete the strip and are much easier to install.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know this is off topic, but maybe in the future if you offered Us something like the J's racing rear diffuser, I will so jump on it right way. Thanks.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Gallery
2,946 Posts
it's a nice idea, but it's confirmed that even for $80, it's too much work to do for such a small modification. At the end of the day even if you colormatch the strips, you still have a door handle that has the strip in it. That defeats the point since you would want to be painting it to get a "seamless look"

Although more expensive, it would be better to source door handles from '07-Up Honda CRVs. I hear those handles fit onto our car. They delete the strip and are much easier to install.
interesting, I didn't know that.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,896 Posts

I think the main purpose of the strips is to eliminate the chrome, although seamless would look better.

The 07+ CRV as well as the MDX handles will fit our car but they do require some modification to work properly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hmm, how much modification? A complete set of NHB painted CR-V handles is like under $140.

Anyway, I have another question....

What if replacement strips cost a lot less, like $39 a set?
I was thinking of blacking them out myself. I was going to paint the entire door handle gloss black, and the insert matte black. Plastic inserts would be much nicer. Also would not have to prep each chrome one and worry about the paint scratching off. My inspiration was the Mugen TSX pic.

$39 I would do it. Can you do a fine textured matte black?
Just my .02.

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
I think the main purpose of the strips is to eliminate the chrome, although seamless would look better.

The 07+ CRV as well as the MDX handles will fit our car but they do require some modification to work properly.
What kind of modification is required? What about RDX handles? They all look about the same size and shape.

I'm actually interested in the opposite. I'm looking for all chome handles like the JDM ones.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd definitely be in for swapping door handles as I'm about to matte black them and am also working on getting paint-matched vinyl cutouts for the chrome but would rather have just clean handles. More details on that modification plz.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts