Acura TSX Forum banner

The (apparently) dreaded VSA

19K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Erichdh 
#1 ·
Hey, y'all.
I have an 07 auto, base. VSA light has been on since I got the car. Drivers rear wheel sensor. I've tried clearing the lights with the pins 9 and 4, and 9 and ground. I've replaced the wheel sensor. I've replaced the wheel hub assembly. I've replaced the brake light switch.

/!\ is on as soon as the key is turned to on (II), and the VSA light comes on after driving. Every time.

Any other ideas before I (reluctantly) go to a repair shop?

#2 ·
When you installed the wheel hub assembly was the wheel bearing installed the correct way? There is a magnetic ring (black if i recall correctly) that needs to be on the inside for the sensor to read. That's my only suggestion for now.

EDIT: Oops I read that as front hub. I think the rear is the same though.

#4 ·
Right. But you still have to connect the ABS wheel speed sensor to it, right? I've never heard of the whole hub assembly having the bearing in backwards but it's the last thing I could think of before telling you to go to a shop. Did you double check the wiring around the sensor? My friend's 5th gen Prelude just had an ABS light on for awhile, LR speed sensor. I replaced the sensor for him, same thing. After enough looking around with the car on a rack we discovered the wires prior to the sensor plug were frayed and were likely shorted. Idk if you have a way to get under the car easily but if so give that a look. Sorry I can't be of much more help.

#6 ·
TSXXXX

I don't think it's an issue with the hub/bearing assembly, but as far as the sensor is concerned, it bolts in to the (forget the name) main receiver where the hub bolts to. The only thing left I think I can do, which you kind of hinted on, is to ohm out the car harness wires from the female plug at the back (where the abs sensor plugs into the car) all the way up to the main lug on the abs pump, and see if I have continuity between the wires, or if there's a break somewhere.

foxez

Is there another way to reset the light besides jumping and grounding the pins on the service port? I was under the impression that the system light would go away on its own when it no longer sensed an issue.

#8 ·
* video *

This is how i did it but at a mechanic and with his scan tool instead of using wires. I got both my sensors and wheel hubs replaced and had to do clear the codes and do the vsa reset after that.
Yes. This works exactly as shown in the vid. Run through the routine to clear the ABS code first, even if the idiot light isn't lit up, and then do the VSA exactly as shown in the vid.

#11 ·
Things to consider:
Garbage down the sensor hole.
Cheap hub out of spec.
Cheap sensor out of spec.
Harness is damaged, harness plug is dirty/damaged.

Maybe swap the D/S sensor with P/S sensor just to rule the sensor out...
How are the brakes? Have they been bled recently? I've triggered VSA codes by doing brake work. Or maybe you need a good bleed?

If you're bored, swap hubs.
I wonder how much the previous owner spent on this issue... :unsure:

#13 ·
Things to consider:
Garbage down the sensor hole.
Cheap hub out of spec.
Cheap sensor out of spec.
Harness is damaged, harness plug is dirty/damaged.

Maybe swap the D/S sensor with P/S sensor just to rule the sensor out...
How are the brakes? Have they been bled recently? I've triggered VSA codes by doing brake work. Or maybe you need a good bleed?

If you're bored, swap hubs.
I wonder how much the previous owner spent on this issue... :unsure:
I think this weekend I'll swap sides. Sensors and hubs and see if I'm still getting the same code. If so, I'll go ahead and check continuity in the car side of the wires.

As far as the car side of the plug goes, it's not corroded, but I did go ahead and put on some dielectric grease the last time I had it apart. As well as the main lug on the abs pump. I'll report back with my findings.

#14 ·
One more thing: I've had a VSA code 3 or 4 times on the TSX. It always comes up as driver side rear. It triggered recently due to a new tire on the passenger side rear.
It has occurred to me the early ECU may not really be smart enough to tell which wheel is throwing the error.

#17 ·
Size is not equal to rolling circumference or rolling resistance, so that may be the issue.

Reactions: shandalo
#19 ·
And since then, you've done all this TO THE LETTER?

The VSA won't reset unless you run thru the ABS reset steps first, even if you have no ABS light.

To TSX Reset ABS and VSA:

1) Jump pins 4 and 9.
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then immediately remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then immediately press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then immediately remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

VSA neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to chassis ground (I have used a bolt on a door hinge).
-or-
1) Jump pins 4 and 9.
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, QUICKLY press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, QUICKLY press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off.

5) You MAY have to press BRAKE at this point, but I never had to...

You're done.

#24 ·
For some reason, you have to do the 'CLEAR ABS' steps even if the ABS light isn't showing.
Glad you got it solved!

Reactions: Eternalsun
#27 ·
I had to change the control module to fix my YSA light. Found a new one is $1,700!! Didn't want a used one from ebay. Found carpartsource.com that had rebuilt ones. They had different prices depending on year and auto or manual trans. Also included free shipping and tax plus one year wty. My auto 2006 version was $179.99. Saw the manual was $149.99. Not bad. So far it works great.

#29 ·
Apparently it’s quite easy to misalign the caliper piston with the nipple on the pads. Hence the squeaking, grinding, overheating issues. If it’s not rectified quickly, overtime you will end up with caliper issues which cause uneven braking and the ABS/VSA light. DO NOT LET AMATEURS CHANGE BRAKES ON THESE TYPE OF CALIPERS. A proper ABS scan tool will give a better idea of where the electrical or mechanical issue is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.