Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a problem that some of us have had, including Prolix and myself -- the lights in the "center console" being out.
First of all, let's explain what we're talking about, because "center console" is ambiguous. I had always thought the phrase referred to the compartment between the front seats, i.e. next to your right thigh. But it seems people are using the phrase more to refer to the central portion of the dashboard -- where you have the controls for the A/C, stereo etc., and where the Nav is (if you have it). That's what it means here -- the central portion of the dash. (Which makes me wonder what we're supposed to call that compartment next to your right thigh.)

The control buttons on that "center console" are supposed to light up when you have the car's lights on. Well, in a lot of our cars, at some point those buttons stopped lighting up. It's a real problem, because then you have to either just jab at the buttons and hope for the best (I'm getting better at it, but not much), or reach up to the ceiling and turn on one of the interior lights to see what you're doing, which is a pain in the b***, and also a little dangerous because of how you have to take your eye off the road and how it takes away from your outside visibility.

How many of you have had the problem?

And, if you've had it fixed, were there any "side effects"?
Like, I imagine they had to open up the console etc., and I wonder if that could cause RATTLES or anything else.

(I know Prolix was going to be having it fixed soon.....)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: The "Center Console Light" problem

larchmont said:
.....(Which makes me wonder what we're supposed to call that compartment next to your right thigh.).....
Checked the manual -- they call it the "console compartment."
Sounds reasonable.

I don't see yet if they have any term for what we're calling the "center console."

·
Registered
57 Posts
thos r the HVAC controls ie A/C stereo heating.....dumb question but did u try the dimmer switch it happened to me before.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried everything, and so did a lot of other people. Nothing worked.

At first we thought, like you said, that we just needed to do something simple.
Then some people thought maybe we needed to do something COMPLICATED, like holding down the AM/FM button or the CD/Aux button for a real long time. Or maybe both of those buttons together for a real long time. Or for a short time, or a medium time..... Really, we went through just about every combination and permutation you might think of. Until a couple of people brought their cars to the dealer, who didn't know either, and started taking things apart for a few days.

I ain't letting them do anything like that until we know more about what's going on.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Re: The "Center Console Light" problem

larchmont said:
This is a problem that some of us have had, including Prolix and myself -- the lights in the "center console" being out.
First of all, let's explain what we're talking about, because "center console" is ambiguous. I had always thought the phrase referred to the compartment between the front seats, i.e. next to your right thigh. But it seems people are using the phrase more to refer to the central portion of the dashboard -- where you have the controls for the A/C, stereo etc., and where the Nav is (if you have it). That's what it means here -- the central portion of the dash. (Which makes me wonder what we're supposed to call that compartment next to your right thigh.)

According to years of studying auto industry mags such as Automotive Industires, Wards's Auto World, etc., I believe I can help here. I also design and manufacture center consoles for Mini Coopers (shameless self endorsement) among other items.

These are industry terms and may not necessarily correspond to how Honda/Acura refers to them. The item running between the seats and connecting to the dash is the "center console." The pod between the sunvisors on the ceiling is called the "overhead console." And the center of the dash section is referred to as the "center stack." Sometimes the center stack vertically integrates with the center console.

Hope this helps?

Let me know when you are ready for a lesson on A-B-C pillars? ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, everybody, I guess we should be saying....

CENTER STACK!

....instead of "center console" for this. According to HIP, "center console" does indeed mean what I always thought.

But somehow I don't think we're going to be successful at this.
I think W has a better chance to stop saying "nucular" than we have to get people to stop saying "center console" for "center stack."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Altersys said:
What's your dimmer setting switched to? Could be something as simple as that.....
No, I'm not THAT stupid.

I mean I am, but not in this case. :D

Actually that was one of the first suggestions. That didn't do it for any of us.

ANYWAY.... My dealership, Acura of Westchester, says they KNOW about this and they know exactly what it is! (We'll see.....) Supposedly it's a bad computer chip or something.... something like the printed circuit board (they'll find out the exact name of the part), the part has to be ordered, which takes about a week, then the work just takes a few hours. And (again supposedly) I don't have to be worried that opening up that center stack and putting it back together will create a "rattle" problem (I invented that worry).

P.S. They also say they're confident they can take care of rattles, although they concede sometimes it's very hard to locate and diagnose them.
(Not that I have any rattles; I was just curious because a lot of other people do.)

I probably won't have it done right away in a week, but some time after that. I'll be letting y'all know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my center stack is being replaced by my dealer. at least thats what they said, i don't have a specific list of parts ordered, just that they are on 'national backorder' and will be here sometime..

it may not be the entire hvac/stereo control, could be just a chip as larchmont mentioned.

over at the 'other' boards there are a number of people with this issue and it seems to becoming more and more common. i've asked for people to post their vin#'s so we can see if its only occuring in a certain range (as a few other problems were early on)

·
Registered
11 Posts
fyi:

i got mine fixed the other day. replaced the entire center stack. they think something shorted back inside the stack but they said to be safe they'd just replace the entire thing. its about a 2700$ part. so far so good, lights are back on. they did a good job too, can't even tell they replaced it (i had worried about fit, rattles, etc)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
prolix21 said:
fyi:

i got mine fixed the other day. replaced the entire center stack. they think something shorted back inside the stack but they said to be safe they'd just replace the entire thing. its about a 2700$ part. so far so good, lights are back on. they did a good job too, can't even tell they replaced it (i had worried about fit, rattles, etc)
Great that it was fixed -- but I wonder if it was overkill. Still, it's fine as long as it didn't cost you anything or create any problems.
I've been a little concerned that the more they work on in there, maybe it would create RATTLES, since people have reported rattles coming from almost anywhere, and although I'm not at all sure there's a rational basis for this concern, I can imagine that if they knock around in there it might loosen something up.
I assume you didn't get any rattles?

I'll probably be getting mine worked on soon. As I said, my place says they're pretty sure it's just a computer chip. We'll see.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carlos8542222 said:
...... you have company......
Yes indeed, it's a common problem. Unlike the rattles, we have no idea how prevalent it is (actually we're not even sure about that either), but obviously a significant amount of TSX's have it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
larchmont said:

I've been a little concerned that the more they work on in there, maybe it would create RATTLES, since people have reported rattles coming from almost anywhere, and although I'm not at all sure there's a rational basis for this concern, I can imagine that if they knock around in there it might loosen something up.
I assume you didn't get any rattles?
so far no rattles. looks like they knew what they were doing. i expected to be able to tell they yanked that entire stack out, but there were no signs. nice and tight and everything fits like factory.

i agree it may have been overkill. my dealer also thought it was just a chip or board, but i think they had the feeling it blew out once it would happen again (even if you find the blown board, it doesn't mean you found the source). they figured just replace the entire stack and be done with it. all done under warranty so i'm happy.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
prolix21 said:
so far no rattles. looks like they knew what they were doing. i expected to be able to tell they yanked that entire stack out, but there were no signs. nice and tight and everything fits like factory......
Cool!!! :thumbsup:

Also I really appreciate your explaining so completely what was done and how it turned out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
a little more detail; here is the part number of what they replaced on my car: 39050-SEC-A01RM

i tried to look it up on that sunnyside acura parts site, but didn't find it. this may be a special warranty part # though (non retail) b/c there is core credit on the invoice (the dealer returns the defective part to acura)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
prolix21 said:
a little more detail; here is the part number of what they replaced on my car: 39050-SEC-A01RM......
Super cool. I was notified a couple of days ago that my dealer got the part we need. I'll check whether it's that part.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK.....the part number of what they got for me is a bit different:

39059-SEC-A51

:donno: :donno:

Those numbers might look similar, but they're more different than, say, the chemical structures of estrogen and testosterone, so they're not that similar. :D

As I said, we'll see.

BTW I take it yours is fine, including no rattles......

1 - 20 of 401 Posts