Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I scanned the infamous 2003 Automobile magazine article and I am a bit perplexed. You be the judge......

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't realize the ends of some of the scans got chopped....But you get the idea.....First time using a scanner h1e1l1p

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Nice job (by PD, not necessarily by Automobile magazine) :D

....but what's with the Michael Jordan stuff? :donno:

BTW.....on second look, the article isn't bad.
But it is a little silly.
The categories of those data seem to have been chosen blindly, and it does look like they weren't trying very hard on those runs.
And they don't explain how they came up with the rankings.

Not that we're complaining......

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
thanks for the scans. First time I read this in full.
I have only heard about this article or quotes from it.

why you perplexed doc ?

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well.....First off, like Larch said, it doesn't seem as if they were pushing the TSX very hard....or most of the cars for that matter. The commentary on each car seemed pretty positive for the most part, especially the G35. Even the whole personality thing was fun from a "psych" perspective. But then at the end they don't provide a rationalization for the TSX as winner except that it is a "good overall package". Even though the numbers they got on the TSX are not really impressive at all when considering those from the other cars. Maybe it's that whole "intangible" element of joy some people describe about the TSX.....And on the options page at the end, they list the TSX as not having Electronic Brake distribution or side air bags rear? Isn't VDS like EBD??? And last I checked the TSX had rear side air bags.... You guys were right this is a average car review at best. I am still glad the TSX won though.. :p And.... I am an idealist :gapteeth:

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Larch....Michael Jordan took a break from b-ball to do some automotive journaling. He was even quoted at the end of an important game "I can't wait for the TSX to come out...its the only thing keeping me going right now!"

P.S. I'm not sure he could fit in the TSX :lol:

WOuldn't you hate to have Michael Jackson's name right now?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
ech we came in first, so im more then happy w/ it, It wasnt the greatest Write up, but hey well still take the award, lol, I meen when I first looked at the Other cars there were using, I was like oh crap, the TSX has the least powerful engine here, and is one of the cheeper cars shown as well... then I saw we Won and was like nice... allright TSX

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the article was right on the money. I recently bought a 2005 G35 6sp, while my Dad purchased a 2005 TSX 6sp. Having driven both cars, I agree with most everything the article said. My G delivers awesome performance and looks and feels like a much more expensive car. My Dad's TSX is buttery smooth and also feels much more expensive, especially with the NAV. I'm a former (2-time) Nissan Maxima owner, and I was sad to see that it ranked last in the article. It's not surprising though. The G35 has become what the Nissan Maxima used to (or hoped to) be. Personally, I think the Max should stop pretending to be a sports sedan, and focus on becoming an upscale cruiser like the Avalon or Lincoln. The engine is fast, smooth, and super reliable. It breaks my heart to see them competing with smaller sports sedans. It's an unfair competition. I also liked seeing Mazda get some props for their vastly improved product lines. A lot of people on these boards make fun of Mazda, but I love the 3 and 6 series. Cheap, smooth, and reliable.

G

·
I also didn't understand the article but I think that overall there is no really mind-blowing attribute to the TSX, overall, it is just a very nice car. It is a perfect example of the "whole being greater thank the sum of its parts." There are a lot of cars out there that have one attribute that is outstanding...they have great motors, looks, etc. In another C&D Article they referred to the TSX as "just-right-sized" when referring to its dimensions. The greateness of the TSX comes in balance. It could use a little more power, maybe better warranty, a better body kit, etc. but overall it is really a great package.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I agree too.
The "whole being greater than the sum of its parts" was commonly expressed in the early reviews. We haven't heard it lately just like that, but it's still true -- I guess people just got tired of saying it. :D

And the "right-sized car" is totally accurate for me. I didn't remember it being in a major review, and I'm kinda surprised they said it because I didn't know that very many people felt the same way.
To me, a car's size is the one factor that plays the biggest part in determining the car's character. (Assuming a certain level of quality, of course.) The cars that are even just a little bit smaller, like the BMW 3-series etc., are just a bit too small for me in all respects, and the slightly bigger cars, like the old TL-S (my previous car) and the Accord, are CLEARLY too big for me -- not nifty or nimble enough.
And there were VERY few cars in the "tweener-size" category, and none of those were cars that I would consider.
When the TSX came out, I jumped at the chance to give up my TL-S, even though on paper it was a "downgrade," even though the TL-S was only a year old, and even though I even had to pay a lot of extra $$ with the trade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts