Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Read it and weap it, people: Honda has announced this will be the last year to pick up Honda’s S2000 roadster.

Sales figures for the S2000 haven’t been too impressive with just 72 cars exchanging hands last December. 2008 sales totals fell to 2,538 from 4,302 the year before. The S2000, on sale for ten-years, has sold 110,000 units worldwide with 65,000 of those in the U.S. The Press Release explanation follows below.

HONDA PRESS RELEASE

2009 Will Be Final Model Year of Production for Honda S2000

The 2009 Honda S2000 will be the final model year produced of the award-winning roadster, Honda announced today. First introduced in 1999 for the 2000 model year, the S2000 helped define its segment with class-leading handling, engine technology and value. Originally envisioned as a limited-edition tribute to Honda’s 50th anniversary, S2000 production was extended in response to customer demand and critical acclaim.

“The S2000 is a sports car designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts,”
said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. “It raised the bar for all future roadsters, and it’s already considered a classic by many Honda fans.”

As a true sports car that can serve as a practical and fun daily driver yet feel equally at home on a racetrack, this concept further evolved with a club racer-inspired S2000 CR trim, first offered in the 2008 model year. The S2000 has been honored with multiple awards through the years, including four appearances on Car and Driver Magazine’s coveted “10-Best” list.

The S2000 is sold in 64 countries around the world with cumulative world-wide sales of over 110,000 since its introduction in 1999. Over 65,000 S2000s have been sold in the United States since 1999.

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
oh my lord..... R.I.P. the rwd beast has been put to rest :(

·
fresh to death
2,643 Posts
yes very true...one of the best rwd vehicles in the world....it lasted a whole decade.....i wonder if everyone who wanted to ever sell their s2k will still do so, now that honda wont be making anymore...

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
yea... kind of makes me want to buy one.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
WOW!!! My DREAM car coming to an end. I need to win the lotto quick!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I wonder if sales of the 2009 models will jump now that its the last year for production. It was fun while it lasted, but now Honda will not have anything sporty now that the S2000 and next gen NSX have been cancelled.:(

·
Un-Civil Engineer
2,205 Posts
What the hell? First "power plenum" now this? Who is running the show here? Seems like they are getting away from sport and moving toward Toyota!

Sad days seem to be ahead...

·
Registered
604 Posts
The reality is, if they hadn't ended the car, people would start calling it stale, as no major changes have come sans the jump in displacement to 2.2 Litres.

And, the s2k wasn't exactly Honda's bread and butter.

I love the car, and plan on getting one in the future, maybe an 05 or so... in say 5 years, pick it up for cheap after some dumb kid beat on it. Rebuild it with my kid... good times.

The best thing you can do with a truly timeless car like the s2k is to let it go with dignity. It has served it's purpose, retire on a high note.

·
Clutch Dump of Death!!!
830 Posts
Yet another sign of the times...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I'm looking for an 04-05 model currently.

·
trespassing Jeep owner
2,731 Posts
And thus does Honda take a step towards simply selling transportation appliances (see: every Toyota vehicle currently being produced) rather than cars...

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sports Cars

It does appear that Honda is moving towards more comfort/luxury vehicles than sporty ones. As it is a business, I can understand their motive as 1 does not have to look any farther than Toyota to see how successful that can be. @ least Hondas have always been traditionally more sporty than Toyotas so I doubt that they will ever completely abandon their sportier edge. So far they @ least still produce the Civic Si ... and I think that the Fit has a Sport model for whatever that is worth.

Too bad I do not know how to drive a manual or I might consider buying 1 of these.

·
On and Off Member
527 Posts
I knew S2000 was going to be the last of it's kind. Honda never made any new S2000 models since it's been on the Honda lineup since 2000, so basically 9 years of the same model.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
i wish i had money to actually buy one.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I knew S2000 was going to be the last of it's kind. Honda never made any new S2000 models since it's been on the Honda lineup since 2000, so basically 9 years of the same model.
Honda did freshen up the S2K a bit in 2004, but pretty much it was the same as when it came out in 2000.

Given the situation with the car market and the economy in general I can see why Honda canned the next gen NSX, V8 engine for the RL, and now the S2000. Hopefully, Honda will come out with new RWD cars in the future when the world economy gets better and car sales go back up. They need to play on their racing heritage with something sporty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts