Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walking out to my car this afternoon, again I noticed it looks really good from the back, side, and front. Much better than 99% of the cars sold today. The current Civic, on the other hand, has a design that will go out of style within a decade, if not sooner. Frankly Honda should change the body style of the next Civic to copy the 1st gen TSX.

I challenge anyone walking in a parking lot to find cars that have better styling than the 1st gen.

The Honda design crew hit a grand slam with that car!

Thoughts?

(I can't stand the "flat slab" design you see on most car fenders today. See the 2nd gen TSX in the header for a perfect example.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I prefer the 2nd gen, but I agree that the TSX in general has held up very well aesthetically

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's a timeless design and fantastic overall package. That's why my 06 TSX is going to be my forever car. It's exactly what i want. A honda reliable luxury sport sedan with a manual transmission that's easy to work on with cheap parts and a strong aftermarket.

People are always surprised when i tell them my TSX is a 2006. Honda was killing it with the acura lineup in the early 2000s. The TSX, TL, RSX, and RL are all lookers. I especially like the interior of the 1st Gen TSX. It's classic honda with a beautiful flow. The curving line of aluminum that snakes across the doors and dash in one uninterrupted line is fantastic. The 3 spoke steering wheel looks and feels great. The shifter is perfect. Only gripe there is too much plastic. i had a local upholstery shop make a black suede armrest with silver stitching for me, and as funds become available we're going to do a matching e-brake and shift boot in suede. Would really like to swap the plastic ebrake button for something billet since i touch it every time i'm in the car like this . Same with the turn signal and light stalks. One day i'm going to get a spare set off ebay and disassemble them to see if i could replace the plastic with aluminum. I don't want to touch plastic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I 100% agree with this, Like I can see a first gen TSX from a mile away. It looks like nothing else. I may have a jaded view however, loving my TSX and owning one. But I really do think it's the best car honda has made "Looks wise" It's very different from other "normal" cars on the road, today or of the era.

This is my bad boy ;)
0402191116b_HDR.jpg
0809201814a.jpg
ASS.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well having posted this thread in the 1Gen forum of TSXClub.com, I doubt you'll find many naysayers :)

Comparing it to the current Civic is a bit unfair, as really this car was an Acura-ified Accord (it's essentially a rebadged Accord Euro CL9, isn't it?). So its styling was always meant to be more conservative and thus, classy/timeless, than the Civic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well having posted this thread in the 1Gen forum of TSXClub.com, I doubt you'll find many naysayers :)

Comparing it to the current Civic is a bit unfair, as really this car was an Acura-ified Accord (it's essentially a rebadged Accord Euro CL9, isn't it?). So its styling was always meant to be more conservative and thus, classy/timeless, than the Civic.
Very true, as I said myself I am bias cause I own one :b and yes the accord in other markets was the acura TSX in america. from 2003 to 2008 I think of that era. I have mine rebadged as a Euro R which is the same car. Only difference is the motor. I am pretty sure the Euro R has a k20A, and the TSX has a K24a2, Which to be quite honest I think more people like the K24a2. It's less HP, but more torque. also the Euro R has some better seats it's a little lighter and some suspension probably. But basically the Euro R and the TSX is the same car. just badged differently.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are two reasons I singled out the Civic. First was the TSX was based off a Honda Accord, thus it's a Honda everywhere but the US, and second, the ILX is the successor to the TLX, and it's built on the Civic chassis.

I like previous Civic generations over the current one. I don't hate the current one, just don't like it as much as the older ones. And I am not happy Honda discontinued the Civic Si. Now if they bring back the Integra or RSX with a manual transmission...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like previous Civic generations over the current one. I don't hate the current one, just don't like it as much as the older ones. And I am not happy Honda discontinued the Civic Si. Now if they bring back the Integra or RSX with a manual transmission...
Eh, I definitely like the looks of current gen Civics better than the prior generation one, and the 1.5T engine is fun. (My wife has a 2016 Civic EX-T.) The 2021 Civic has no Si but that's mainly to clear out the 2020 Si inventory, I think - word is the 2022 Civic will be an all-new design, and the Si will be a part of that.

I hope.

·
J-Spec
395 Posts
To truly appreciate how nice the 1st gen TSX is, a look back at the 6th gen Accord is in order.
First, just to be clear, the CL9 chassis is a 7th gen Accord. Honda didn't design it as an Acura
TSX, they designed it as an Accord.

The 6th gen Accord came in three flavors. We all know the USDM flavor, but the JDM and
European Accord was smaller and were on the same chassis, just some cosmetic differences.
Honda made some nice high performance versions of this chassis, including the first "Euro-R"
sub model.

For the 7th gen Accord, the Honda design team really raised the bar. The car is nicer
in every way. It was also the first Accord chassis to use HSS (high strength steel) extensively.
Here are some JDM Honda website links to peruse:

Japan and Europe basically got the same car, but no Type-R or Euro-R for Europe this time.

So, back in 2003, Acura needed an entry level sedan to fill out their lineup. The new (in 2003
terms) CL9 chassis Accord fit the bill. However, Acura wanted a higher end interior. The JDM
Inspire is where this interior came from. See this link:

Notice that this is the USDM Accord chassis? For Japan, the Inspire is a higher end car.
So, it's like the opposite of the US market for these two chassis.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There are few cars that I consider to have a timeless look and the TSX is one of them. I owned a 1st gen, currently own a 2nd gen but there’s a part of me that still wants a 1st gen every time I see one. 2g rear still looks good to me but the front seems dated, more so than the 1g.

Couple other cars- BMW e46, Lexus is300, 3g TL

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are few cars that I consider to have a timeless look and the TSX is one of them. I owned a 1st gen, currently own a 2nd gen but there’s a part of me that still wants a 1st gen every time I see one. 2g rear still looks good to me but the front seems dated, more so than the 1g.

Couple other cars- BMW e46, Lexus is300, 3g TL
I agree with you on the first gen looking better, as well as those other three timeless designs. Add the first gen A4 to that list.
Acura really hit a home run with the 04-08 TSX. Hopefully the next ILX brings back that magic.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i actually came to the TSX from a MT 6 cylinder B5 A4. Great looking car, especially with all the EDM parts i swapped over but damn unreliable and hard to work on. TSX was a perfect replacement. luxury sports sedan, but honda reliability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Walking out to my car this afternoon, again I noticed it looks really good from the back, side, and front. Much better than 99% of the cars sold today. The current Civic, on the other hand, has a design that will go out of style within a decade, if not sooner. Frankly Honda should change the body style of the next Civic to copy the 1st gen TSX.

I challenge anyone walking in a parking lot to find cars that have better styling than the 1st gen.

The Honda design crew hit a grand slam with that car!

Thoughts?

(I can't stand the "flat slab" design you see on most car fenders today. See the 2nd gen TSX in the header for a perfect example.)
LOL. Every time I walk out to the parking lot after work and I see my car in profile, that is EXACTLY what I think.....

B

·
Registered
30 Posts
Eh, I definitely like the looks of current gen Civics better than the prior generation one, and the 1.5T engine is fun. (My wife has a 2016 Civic EX-T.) The 2021 Civic has no Si but that's mainly to clear out the 2020 Si inventory, I think - word is the 2022 Civic will be an all-new design, and the Si will be a part of that.

I hope.
The 11th gen looks so lame compared to the 10th. They’ve discontinued the hatchbacks too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The current 2016-21 Civic is the 10th gen, isn't it? We don't really know what the 2022 change will look like yet.
Tons of renders have been leaked online. The Type R looks pretty sharp but the rest of the lineup is underwhelming.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tons of renders have been leaked online. The Type R looks pretty sharp but the rest of the lineup is underwhelming.
Those aren't always accurate (often are not), and those I've seen don't look all that different from the 10th Gen - just slightly toned down, which is a good thing, IMHO. It's the interior I'm more curious about, the infotainment, and if leather or a hatch would be available for an Si (probably not the latter, since they use that as a way to promote the R).

·
-
1,596 Posts
Not only does the1st Gen TSX look clean and simple, the stiff chassis, excellent front and rear suspension, excellent K24 and 6speed manual and tons of aftermarket support.

Plus the excellent build quality. We nearly bought a new CRV as a winter vehicle.
The build quality is terrible, no way near the 1st Gen TSX.
Our neighbours have a newer TLX, it's ok but not nearly as interesting as our TSX.

The only negative thing about the 1st GEN TSX that I can think of is the terrible drive by wire throttle. It is absolutely the worst of any vehicle I have ever driven.

The only Honda or Acura product that interests me at all would be the current Civic Type R.
It's a terrific handling, braking, powerful car. Despite the goofy boy racer gimmicky exterior styling.

Reactions: Brock

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only negative thing about the 1st GEN TSX that I can think of is the terrible drive by wire throttle. It is absolutely the worst of any vehicle I have ever driven.
Is this the rather twitchy, pulsy response bit? Is this only for the MT or even the 5AT have this issue?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts