1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full Article:
The ILX Movement is Starting - HeelToe Automotive

mrheeltoe said:
There was a lot of excitement around here about the release of the Acura ILX. The main reason why is because of our love for the first generation TSX, and discontent with much of what Acura did to it for the second act. On paper, the ILX seems to be much like a successor to the first TSX, and we are only one of many who noticed. The dimensions are practically the same, the weight is up a tad but the tradeoff is a car packed with features and the availability of a 2.4L engine.

Unfortunately, Honda sort-of missed the mark a bit if the aim was to gain an audience of would-be TSX fans for this new iteration. For one, the ILX is based on the latest Civic platform which (in itself is not such a bad thing) forgoes a long lineage of double-wishbone front suspension in Honda's lineup. While it is attractive from certain angles and has a nice stance, the ILX is a bit blobish. The aggressive headlights and grille struggle to overcome a buck-toothed bumper. The aggressive rear haunches harken images of a wolf in sheep’s clothing. And the confounding model/trim/pricing structure means that you cannot get a fully loaded manual-transmission model, and a loaded model comes in just a hair shy of the cost of a loaded TSX with a superior chassis and engine.

All that adds up distinctly to "not-a-first-gen-TSX;" a car which easily stood on its own feet well clear of the TL's shadow and even earning itself Car and Driver's Ten Best honors a time or two. But, it also adds up to an entry level car which was absent to Acura's lineup previously, and offers a model range selection not seen since the lamentably-lost Integra.

Yes, the ILX, for now, is the most promising Acura model for tuning in the 2013 model year. And recent developments from some of the best parts producers in the business support this. The main reason is because of the similarities this car has with the Civic Si, a car whose trim designation, with respect to hop-up parts, might as well stand for "Spend income."

Full Article:
The ILX Movement is Starting - HeelToe Automotive

·
True Honda Head
785 Posts
Unfortunately, I still think they beat it with every ugly stick they could find. There's not a single Acura car that looks good to me anymore. Luckily Acura SUVs are still looking good.

I completely agree. I am almost offended by their offerings now:laugh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts