Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Baller Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 TSX and I want to make my baby as gas Efficient as possible and seriously, not forclose at the pumps! I find my km/L ratio is way too low!! what are you miles/galon or km/L ratios??

·
Scientisting since 2005
1,232 Posts
60% highway / 40% city - 25-27mpg (daily driving)
80% highway / 20% city - 28-30mpg
95% highway / 5% city - 30-32.5mpg (long trip)

only using 93 octane... cant find 91 anywhere by me.... k&n air filter/comptech icebox, ralco pulleys, new spark plugs

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Lightweight rims and tires (properly inflated), UR pullies, new spark plugs (if higher mileage), regular oil changes, using 91+ octane fuel, a clean engine air filter (K&N or OEM), and not driving with a heavy right foot will help you get the best mileage out of your TSX.

I manage to do about 7L/100km on the highway driving steadily at the speed limit. If you pick it up to 120-130km/h you will notice substansial decrease in fuel economy on a longer highway trip. As for city driving, try not to surpass 3000rpms. There's enough torque to keep up with city traffic above 2000rpm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm getting 28 city 32 highway. Very happy with that myself as I was getting 8 city 12 highway with the truck I just got rid of.

·
Team Advantage Audio mem
834 Posts
96% City getting 24ish.. :D Though I can only get this cuz i been going to school later trying to beat around traffic :/

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I get like 17mpg on 99% streets according to the computer. Is that normal o_O?
Seems a bit low, but then again it depends on how harsh the city driving is (i.e lots of stop and go). Try to be gentle on the gas, you should see 20+mpg.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I've gotten that number too doing 100% city. But I've learn to control the gas and I haven't seen 17mpg in the longest time.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
about 31mpg 50/50 city highway mix. I've started to use fuelly to track my mpgs as you can see in my sig. The way I see it, the gas that I save over the work weeks allow me to feel less guilty when I do my occasional spirited drives.

·
Registered
378 Posts
24/City
34/Highway
27/Both City & Highway

My car only has a K&N drop in filter. I might install my Injen CAI and see what i'm gonna get.

·
Team Advantage Audio mem
834 Posts
I had that not too long ago... Youll learn how to improve over time, and if you drive short dist with stop an go i wouldnt be surprise that was one of my probs

·
Registered
24 Posts
So far in 5 fill ups I'm averaging about 24 mpg, mostly around town. Like clockwork the low fuel light always comes on not long after hitting 300 miles per tank.

I use only 92/93.......for whatever reason the gas stations in MA/CT have stupid octane ratings. example 87-89-93 or if it's 4 available it's always 87-89-92-93

MAKES NO SENSE offering 2 octanes that are below premium and skipping 91 octane completely which is what all performance vehicals recommend. Maybe they keep the 91 octane for the Western parts of America where you can't get 92/93????

·
Registered
29 Posts
98% all city driving, short distance driving < 5mi one way = 25.6~25.7mpg

The key is to stay under the 3k rpm band and engaging gears as smoothly as you can. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
35% city 65% hwy I'm seeing about 29MPG these days.
6-speed manual and 87 PON (pump octane number).
5w-30 synthetic oil
My charted MPG is here

Mods:
1. Underdrive lightweight pulley set
2. Overinflated tires (45 psi front, 42 psi rear)

I normally shift at 2,200 rpm when accelerating and will cruise as low as 1,200 rpm. I also do a lot of coasting and looking ahead at the lights and traffic. Cold starts and short trips really kills the milage. I'll be adding a lower air intake block soon to improve warmup times and improve aerodynamics.

What I really want to do is add a taller 6th gear, or make all gears taller. 3000 rpm at 70mph is excessive.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
35% city 65% hwy I'm seeing about 29MPG these days.
6-speed manual and 87 PON (pump octane number).
5w-30 synthetic oil
My charted MPG is here

Mods:
1. Underdrive lightweight pulley set
2. Overinflated tires (45 psi front, 42 psi rear)

I normally shift at 2,200 rpm when accelerating and will cruise as low as 1,200 rpm. I also do a lot of coasting and looking ahead at the lights and traffic. Cold starts and short trips really kills the milage. I'll be adding a lower air intake block soon to improve warmup times and improve aerodynamics.

What I really want to do is add a taller 6th gear, or make all gears taller. 3000 rpm at 70mph is excessive.
Any specific reason as to why you are using 87 octane and not a higher grade? It sounds like you would be in the low 30s if you did.

Join Fuelly so we can be eco buddies!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any specific reason as to why you are using 87 octane and not a higher grade? It sounds like you would be in the low 30s if you did.

Join Fuelly so we can be eco buddies!
I ran 91 PON for the first 2 months I had the car just because it was recommended in the manual. However, after looking into the topic on some forums and reading in the manual that it is ok to run 87, I decided to give it a try myself. The performance seemed to be terrible on my first tank of 87, but by the middle of the second tank it seemed to be just fine and I didn't notice a drop in fuel economy.

I almost never go above 3,500 rpm so I figure I'm fine running the lower octane. I'm thinking that when I replace my battery I'll run 91 for a few tanks just to see if it will return better milage.

30mpg average is my goal on 87, and I think I'll easily get that. If I ever figure out a way to change the gearing on my car, I think 35mpg is a reasonable goal. After all, the TSX is among the most slippery of aero designs (.27 Cd).

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well the way I see it- your drive is almost comparable to mine. I have a 50% city and 50% highway commute. It seems like your driving style during your commutes are pretty much the same, except I give it about 1/2-3/4 throttle coming out of on-ramps and toll booths (It's not me, its the car-it begs for it). I'm getting over 30mpg. I figure with your commute if you used the same octane as me you could probably see mileage around 33-35.

Just a thought (I've never tried it-just talking out my ass here), before you fill up your tank add octane booster. Do it before you fill up so when the gas goes into your tank it will mix better. I'm curious to see if it helps with your mileage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts