Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Home Page, along with the many other reviews and articles, we have a link to the New York Times review of the TSX from last May.

There was an earlier article in the NY Times about the TSX, I think in January 2003 although it could have been early February 2003. It was on the front page of the Automobiles section of the Sunday paper.

That was where I first learned of the TSX. I'd love to take another look at that article. I don't think we have it anywhere on this site, and I haven't been able to find it online. Anybody have a link to it, or know how we could find it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I think I have the article, and if so, I see why it was so hard to find.

It's not really an article about the TSX, it was about some cars at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit early last year, and it just referred to the TSX (with a pic). It told me enough to know that I might be very interested in the car, and then I went online to find more info, which was what led me to these forums.

Here's the text of the article. (Couldn't pull up the pic unfortunately.)

January 12, 2003, Sunday

Mighty S.U.V.'s Don't Hog This Show

By CHERYL JENSEN

DETROIT -- Beyond ''what if?'' dream cars with 1,000 horsepower and silk carpets like the Cadillac Sixteen, the North American International Auto Show serves as a launching pad for vehicles more firmly anchored in reality that will soon show up in dealer showrooms. And this year, there was a hole in the 2004 lineup large enough to drive a hulking S.U.V. through.

Indeed, after several years in which big truck-based utility vehicles cast their shadows over the Detroit show, new versions were conspicuously absent.

It is not that Americans aren't buying trucks. Light trucks, which include pickups, minivans and S.U.V.'s, accounted for 52 percent of the vehicle sales last year, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank, which tracks auto sales. Yet the Big 3 automakers are turning some attention back to cars, a market they had largely ceded to foreign competitors, and to car-truck combos that have come to be called crossovers.

While automakers showed several new utility wagons, they tended to be gentler and less massive. Absent were the brute utes with truck frames. Even two fashionably late arrivals to the S.U.V. party -- the Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Touareg (pronounced TOUR-egg) -- used carlike unibodies.

Still, carmakers offered new temptations to feed America's love affair with pickups, and showed minivans stylishly redesigned to allay reservations about driving them.

Despite a sluggish economy, three European companies are aiming cars at the very wealthy. Bentley introduced its sleek Continental GT coupe, with all-wheel drive and a 500-horsepower engine. It goes on sale in November for about $160,000. For around $350,000, Mercedes-Benz will offer the 543-horsepower Maybach 62 ultraluxury sedan in late spring. Rolls-Royce showed the Phantom, the first car developed under the direction of its new owner, BMW.

Here is a look at some of the production vehicles that will go on sale this year; not all have been priced:

ACURA TSX -- This new sport sedan fills the price gap between the RSX coupe and the TL midsize sedan. It will have front-wheel drive and a choice of six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmissions when it goes on sale in April for $25,000 to $30,000.

CADILLAC SRX -- This luxury utility vehicle arrives midyear with crisp lines borrowed from the CTS sedan. It will come with either V-6 or V-8 engines and optional third-row seats.

CHEVROLET COLORADO -- This midsize pickup is bigger than the S-10 that it replaces. It will be available with either two- or four-wheel drive and three cab styles when it comes to market in the fall along with its sibling, the GMC Canyon.

CHEVROLET MALIBU -- A new version of the midsize sedan arrives in September with either a 140-horsepower four-cylinder or 200-horsepower V-6.

FORD F-150 -- The pickup goes on sale this summer with a revised but familiar look, stronger body and new suspension. Five grades of interior trim will be offered.

LEXUS RX 330 -- The successor to the RX 300 goes on sale in the spring with follow-the-road headlamps. Prices will start around $35,000.

MAZDA RX-8 -- This four-seat sports car with a rotary engine goes on sale in June, starting at $25,180.

MITSUBISHI ENDEAVOR -- Despite its aggressive, trucklike styling, this midsize utility vehicle is car-based. Prices range from $25,597 to $33,497.

NISSAN MAXIMA -- The model arriving in March moves upscale, with more room, more power and a glass-paneled roof. An Elite package includes a large center console and two rear bucket seats in place of the bench.

NISSAN QUEST -- The distinctively styled new Quest becomes the longest and widest minivan on the market. The second- and third-row seats fold flat, and there are four glass panels above rear passengers. The van goes on sale this summer.

NISSAN TITAN -- Nissan's first full-size pickup arrives in December with a 300-horsepower V-8 and 9,400-pound towing capacity.

TOYOTA SIENNA -- This redesigned minivan gets a sharper look, a thoughtful interior, including a split third row that folds into the floor, and optional all-wheel drive. It goes on sale in March, with the front-wheel- drive model starting at $23,000.

CAPTIONS: Photos: Bentley's Continental GT coupe. (Associated Press)(pg. 4); Cadillac's SRX luxury utility vehicle. (Associated Press); Acura's all-new TSX sport sedan. (Reuters); Chevrolet's Colorado replaces the S-10. (Reuters); The redesigned Nissan Quest minivan. (Associated Press)(pg. 1)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

1 - 2 of 2 Posts