Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was taken from my blog entry:

When we first purchased the TSX, I immediately did an oil change with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 and the Mobil 1 M1-110 oil filter. About 3000 miles later, I did another oil change with the same materials. I realize that the service interval is 10,000 miles/1 year but I had no idea about the condition of the engine internals and wanted to rest easier knowing there was clean oil in there. Around this time (Dec. 2010) I began seeing commercials for Pennzoil Ultra. The commercials showed visual comparisons with Mobil 1 and always played up the "only motor oil exclusively recommended by Ferrari North America". Their marketing was flawless and so I decided that the next oil change would be with Pennzoil Ultra.

Being the scientist that I am, I wanted to gather some empirical data of my own to verify Pennzoil's claim. After running the Mobil 1 for 3,050 miles, I decided to do the oil change and send the used Mobil 1 off for analysis. Analysis came back and everything looked good, including the recommendation to put more miles on each oil change. So, the oil was changed with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 and I used the same Mobil 1 M1-110 oil filter. However, I did not have the exact same driving conditions as with the Mobil 1. First, I took the recommendation and decided to put exactly one year on the oil change, which ended up being 5,562 miles. Furthermore, as mentioned above, I began autocross racing. Therefore, the engine was abused A LOT more. I sent the used Pennzoil Ultra off for analysis and the results are in. You can take a look for yourself.

Needless to say, I am quite impressed. Of course, to validate the results many more data points must be taken but considering each data point takes one year to obtain, this is enough proof for me now.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Rep for sharing the data. Used to use mobil 1 but went pennzoil platinum and never looked backed.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Thanks!
+1 Rep

How much did the oil analysis cost you?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the rep. I'm glad you found this useful. I just wanted to share my results that support Pennzoil's claims of a superior oil.

The standard analysis is $25. You just contact Blackstone and they'll send you a free sampling kit. You mail in your sample and in about a week they email you the results. For an extra $10 ($35 total), you can do the TBN analysis which effectively measures the life left in the oil. I found an analysis of "virgin" (unused) Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 on the web which had a TBN of 11.7 for reference. However, I don't think TBN decreases linearly so it's hard to say truly how much life is left in terms of miles or time. You can see they recommend I try an extra 2,000 miles. Considering almost all of my miles are stop-and-go around Boston, it's probably safe to say commuters will be able to do many more miles than me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Was curious about the Pennzoil. Going to switch over next oil change from OE.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
/\ more good info to know.

I'm probably in the minority but I've been running Mobil-1 Extended Performance (with the same filter) and I change my oil every 8k miles. I really need to change it now since I'm almost at 9k (been busy with a house), but I still feel like I'm not jeopardizing my engine with the extended oils.

I feel like any more often with that oil is a waste of money for me. I totally get why people change it more frequently, but I'm glad to see its not totally necessary. I might have to give Pennzoil Ultra a shot. Is it anymore expensive?

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
I've been using Pennzoil Ultra and WIX filters (aka rebranded Napa Gold filters) for almost 2 years now on both cars I have owned (currently on TSX).

Buy a 6QT box on ebay for cheap, change oil every 7500 miles.

Great findings, thanks for sharing!

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah ebay has it and it seems to always be sold out on Amazon. My local Autozone always stocks it, so that's where I get it. They charge something like $9.49/qt so it's not cheap. Every couple of weeks they seem to run oil change specials though; you just have to keep looking. During the last special, I got 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra and a K&N oil filter (haven't used yet) for $39.99!

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I don't want to plug any particular retailer but the July 24 - Aug. 20, 2012 Autozone circular is showing that deal I mentioned.

5 quarts Pennzoil Ultra + Fram filter for $35.99, upgrade to K&N filter for $4 more!

That's a huge deal (like $30 off)!

·
Registered
856 Posts
/\ more good info to know.

I'm probably in the minority but I've been running Mobil-1 Extended Performance (with the same filter) and I change my oil every 8k miles. I really need to change it now since I'm almost at 9k (been busy with a house), but I still feel like I'm not jeopardizing my engine with the extended oils.

I feel like any more often with that oil is a waste of money for me. I totally get why people change it more frequently, but I'm glad to see its not totally necessary. I might have to give Pennzoil Ultra a shot. Is it anymore expensive?
Feelings aren't worth mentioning.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
/\Sure they are. It provides more insight to some than your trolling.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
So I don't want to plug any particular retailer but the July 24 - Aug. 20, 2012 Autozone circular is showing that deal I mentioned.

5 quarts Pennzoil Ultra + Fram filter for $35.99, upgrade to K&N filter for $4 more!

That's a huge deal (like $30 off)!
Heck yeah nothing like saving money!!

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Switched to Pennzoil a long time ago, its a much better oil, I use a heck of alot less oil per change as well. Thanks for posting this up!

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Switched to Pennzoil a long time ago, its a much better oil, I use a heck of alot less oil per change as well. Thanks for posting this up!
Exactly what I was going to post. I have stocked up a few times over the past 4(ish) years @ $21/5L bottle here at Walmart in Canada. Both for my car and my wife's 2007 Odyssey. (5w-20 for hers though). Great stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been running Pennzoil since 1979, my '04 Tsx burns only a half a quart for about 5000 miles, I can deal with that. I just buy the regular stuff, 5W-30, with a Bosch filter.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts