Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this perusing the Tacoma boards, and it looks like another possible solution to our crappy fog lights.

Has anyone tried installing a wire harness like this to drop the resistance & increase fog light output? With heavier gauge wiring, we can also run higher output bulbs (if they are available). This also works with halogen bulbs, so replacement bulbs are as close as the nearest auto parts store.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-ultimate-foglight-upgrade-not-led-or-hid.435419/

A very interesting thread...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting indeed, pretty lever too, makes perfect sense.

Considering the TSX has a European twin counterpart, I'm sure that German company makes our size bulb.

I'm assuming one would have to contract that same vendor for a one-off harness, unless a member on here knows someone or would themselves be interesting in manufacturing their own to sell much like Awoc and his short shifter.

I had a stint in car audio and this doesn't seem too much more complicated than that, I also took a basic circuits course in school, but when it comes to designing relays and choosing the appropriate fuses is when my knowledge drops off.

I also have no idea how to wire it into the original fog light control in the cabin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, this is a pure "plug & play" setup with no wire splicing into the car's harness.

I think there are two wires that connect to the battery, then you plug the car's fog light sockets into the new harness, then you plug the harness connectors into the back of the bulbs. The only "fabrication" is finding a place to mount the relays. Looks like a very simple install.

In operation, when the relays sense the fog light switch has been turned on, they close allowing juice to flow directly from the battery to the lights on thicker wires (i.e. less resistance), giving more juice to the bulbs, which will allow them to burn brighter. Since the wiring is "thicker" (smaller gauge), you can also run a higher wattage bulb than you can with the car's "stock" wiring without worrying if that might overheat the wiring. The end result is getting brighter fog lights while running halogen bulbs. Since you're still running halogen bulbs, you don't have to worry about light scatter like you might have with LED or HID bulbs, because the OEM fog light housing was designed for halogens.

I like the concept, and I think this is probably the direction I'll go...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmmm say 12 gauge wire from the battery to pin 30 on a 5 pin relay. 12gauge wire out from 87 on relay to the positive side of connector for fog light, pin 85 goes to chassis ground. And pin 86 would take the ORIGINAL positive wire from fog light harness to activate the relay. then make your ground/negative side of the fog light harness bigger and you're good to go!

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I've read, this is a pure "plug & play" setup with no wire splicing into the car's harness.

I think there are two wires that connect to the battery, then you plug the car's fog light sockets into the new harness, then you plug the harness connectors into the back of the bulbs. The only "fabrication" is finding a place to mount the relays. Looks like a very simple install.

In operation, when the relays sense the fog light switch has been turned on, they close allowing juice to flow directly from the battery to the lights on thicker wires (i.e. less resistance), giving more juice to the bulbs, which will allow them to burn brighter. Since the wiring is "thicker" (smaller gauge), you can also run a higher wattage bulb than you can with the car's "stock" wiring without worrying if that might overheat the wiring. The end result is getting brighter fog lights while running halogen bulbs. Since you're still running halogen bulbs, you don't have to worry about light scatter like you might have with LED or HID bulbs, because the OEM fog light housing was designed for halogens.

I like the concept, and I think this is probably the direction I'll go...
After reading what you said and looking at the harness again, would you just cut the stock wire before the stock relay and feed it into the new relay? Where the purpose of the stock wire is simply to open and close the circuit to the heavier gauge. If that's the case, I might look into this..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not sure what the thread that the OP posted since I can't open it at work, but if you don't want to deal with all of that, I would suggest getting the fog lights from Theretrofitsource.

Output picture.

These are full LED fog lights (not bulbs) and when you order them, you get the entire fog housing. You'd need a fog light kit (such as the ebay one) and just wire it up. The only thing I suggest is if you're going to use an OEM harness, buy the ebay fog light kit and use the ebay mounting stuff instead of the OEM. I only say that because for the 04-05, you have to sort of mod the mounting point. According to the website, they only have the 06-08 fog lights. The ones I have on mine are actually from a accord coupe. I had to cut off one of the mounting points and use one side to screw it it and double side tape. I'm sure if I actually sat down and looked at it more, I could rig it up where I can use 2 bolts, vice one and double side tape. But, I would highly suggest these. They are very bright and highly worth it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure what the thread that the OP posted since I can't open it at work, but if you don't want to deal with all of that, I would suggest getting the fog lights from Theretrofitsource.

Output picture.

These are full LED fog lights (not bulbs) and when you order them, you get the entire fog housing. You'd need a fog light kit (such as the ebay one) and just wire it up. The only thing I suggest is if you're going to use an OEM harness, buy the ebay fog light kit and use the ebay mounting stuff instead of the OEM. I only say that because for the 04-05, you have to sort of mod the mounting point. According to the website, they only have the 06-08 fog lights. The ones I have on mine are actually from a accord coupe. I had to cut off one of the mounting points and use one side to screw it it and double side tape. I'm sure if I actually sat down and looked at it more, I could rig it up where I can use 2 bolts, vice one and double side tape. But, I would highly suggest these. They are very bright and highly worth it!
How are they in the fog though? Not sure if the retrofit housings are halogen housings or not, but the link you aren't able to open mentions how LED's and HID's in halogen housings just reflect back in fog. The reason the dude made his was not just to be bright, but be bright and still pierce fog effectively because super bright and reflect back off fog can be worse than no fog lights at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How are they in the fog though? Not sure if the retrofit housings are halogen housings or not, but the link you aren't able to open mentions how LED's and HID's in halogen housings just reflect back in fog. The reason the dude made his was not just to be bright, but be bright and still pierce fog effectively because super bright and reflect back off fog can be worse than no fog lights at all.
Well, where I live we don't normally get fog so I can't speak on that part. And I can't speak on how it's built but if you head over to there website, I'm sure it'll give you more detailed information. But based on the experience of just using them in the dark, they are very bright and the output is phenomenal. I want to say they will piece through the fog, but since we don't get any, I can't really say on that part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
757accord
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing