Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been a Honda Accord owner for many years, owning civics, accords. I have been caught up between a few cars, IS350, TSX, BMW 328i.

Although I prefer the 1st GEN TSX, and shuttered at the 2nd GEN's exterior design, I am planning on giving myself a chance to embrace it, primarily because of their reliability. After all, I am a Honda guy.

Are the TSX's made/built/ and of quality like I expect them to be? Granted this is just a 2nd Gen in the USA, what do you folks think?

I am leaning more on the 4 cylinder because 6 cylinders have given me trouble down the road and the work on it is tough!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
to be honest, the 4 cylinder isnt fast, but decent enough to have enough powers for daily driving. i havent driven the 6 cylinder yet, but car reviews say it isnt as fun to toss around as the i4 because of the weight. but if you are comparing it to the IS350 or the 3 series, you might be a bit disappointed performance wise. (except for the kickass mpg u gonna get compared to those cars)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to be honest, the 4 cylinder isnt fast, but decent enough to have enough powers for daily driving. i havent driven the 6 cylinder yet, but car reviews say it isnt as fun to toss around as the i4 because of the weight. but if you are comparing it to the IS350 or the 3 series, you might be a bit disappointed performance wise. (except for the kickass mpg u gonna get compared to those cars)
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I am seeking a family sedan w/ reliability.

I have not driven the 3 series yet, but have driven the IS350. The IS350 is steady, heavy, and smoothe. But the seats in the back are a tad cramp for me. Still for a daily driver, it is 'smoothe'.

My biggest concern is the reliability aspect of these cars. Do you know where I can find more in depth details, such as where they are now built, and how reliable they've been?

What about dealer's costs?

I tried customizing the car online, and it seemed set in that it comes w/ basic packages. If anything, I could use the mats, and mud guards. Everything else, I am satisfied for the price.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
with the tsx, they pretty much fixed a lot of the bugs found in 2009/2010. they also added a few interior tweaks as well. all in all, i think its a pretty reliable car IMO. my friend has a used is350 and its been pretty good to him as well. and like you said, rear is a bit cramp especially if you have kids.

the 3 series is nice. but a few of my friends have experienced a few problems with them, but then again, bmw seems to be getting a bit better over the years.

and forgive me if i missed it, but did you mention if you are leasing or buying?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with the tsx, they pretty much fixed a lot of the bugs found in 2009/2010. they also added a few interior tweaks as well. all in all, i think its a pretty reliable car IMO. my friend has a used is350 and its been pretty good to him as well. and like you said, rear is a bit cramp especially if you have kids.

the 3 series is nice. but a few of my friends have experienced a few problems with them, but then again, bmw seems to be getting a bit better over the years.

and forgive me if i missed it, but did you mention if you are leasing or buying?
I intend on buying, and keeping the car for a while. I have basic maintenance experience working w/ imports (honda, toyota, nissan) and from my initial research, the BMWs can be a pain after the warranty. I am older now and just hope to drive something that's reliable.

I suspect I am old fashioned and would like to see a dipstick relative to seeing a computer tell me what level of fluids I have like the BMWs.

I would've bought the 1st gen TSX in a heart beat, but that was then, and now I have to live w/ the re-design of the 2nd gen. I would like to purchase new. At first I thought about buying another accord, but the hideous rear end just ruined it for me.

Thanks for your insight.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Just get a 2G 4 cylinder 6 speed TSX. Done.

These cars are pretty stinking reliable, fuel efficient and fun to drive. They aren't really that bad performance wise either considering their efficiency - a 323i/325i is no faster.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have had a new TSX for almost a year now,and it has been BRILLIANT,far more reliablr than previous BMWs.
Its awesome to deive,powerful enough,but very smooth and quiet,and reasonably economical.
IMHO a far better buy than the cramped Lexus.

I have also fallen in love with the bold look.
I dont think you would regret it at all,everyone who owns one just LOVES LOVES LOVES them.
And far sportier than the old fashioned Accord...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
yess, and i mean, if its the grille that's bothering you, there are a few option for that :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yess, and i mean, if its the grille that's bothering you, there are a few option for that :)
Just the rear I guess, but overall, I like the rigid look. I do prefer the body style on the 1st Gen over this one.

Hondas/Acuras have always had very clean front aesthetics IMHO. I'd love to put a clean mesh grill but haven't really followed that as well. I am old now, and don't know about 'modding' like before. LOL

I remember messing around w/ the 3rd, 4th gen Accords, making own grill out of mesh and all that . HAHAHA

I'm excited and want to test drive it. Need to do hw keke.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi,

Although I prefer the 1st GEN TSX, and shuttered at the 2nd GEN's exterior design, I am planning on giving myself a chance to embrace it, primarily because of their reliability. After all, I am a Honda guy.

Thanks.
here's my modified 2nd gen. don't discount the exterior yet. i have 09/10 taillights now and i got rid of the chrome piece on the trunk.

i test drove the V6 and it was just too heavy.

so i got the 4 cyl Auto and ive been using the sport shifter daily to get that peppy speed. personally i wouldve gotten the 6 speed 4 cyl but my wife doesnt know how to drive a MT. i got my 11' GLM two months ago for $26,700 plus TTL

test drive both. the exterior can always be fixed.

btw, i have a 10 month old son with the car seat and stroller in the trunk. perfect sedan for me over the IS350 and 3 series. also the TSX has that unique look. its an acquired taste.

·
Registered
265 Posts
its pretty fast when you use the sport shifters on the steering wheel.

ive been going up to 6k-7k rpm lately on the sport shifting. definitely reminded me of the 6 speed when i test drove it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was facing the same dilemma about 3 months ago. I narrowed down my car choices to the TSX, IS, G, 3 series, C300, A4.

For the money the TSX is the best IMO. Rear seat room was also a consideration. I love the IS, but rear seat room seemed cramped and it was several thousand more.

I am happy with my decision. Yes, my car is not as fast as some others, but I paid 26k for my TSX. I would have easily paid 35K for the other cars on this list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's my modified 2nd gen. don't discount the exterior yet. i have 09/10 taillights now and i got rid of the chrome piece on the trunk.

i test drove the V6 and it was just too heavy.

so i got the 4 cyl Auto and ive been using the sport shifter daily to get that peppy speed. personally i wouldve gotten the 6 speed 4 cyl but my wife doesnt know how to drive a MT. i got my 11' GLM two months ago for $26,700 plus TTL

test drive both. the exterior can always be fixed.

btw, i have a 10 month old son with the car seat and stroller in the trunk. perfect sedan for me over the IS350 and 3 series. also the TSX has that unique look. its an acquired taste.

That's a really clean car. Thanks for being straight up and to the point w/ everything! 26K ! That's a great deal to me.

Yeah, the rear seats are going to be important to me. I cannot imagine sitting in the back of the IS350, as it was freaking hell during traffic.

With the paddle shifters, does it get in the way if I don't use them?

Also, how was the debdaging ? Would like to know. I can't wait to visit the dealer, after this month's project at work, I plan on getting this done!

Would love to get:
Floor mats
Trunk tray
splash guards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was facing the same dilemma about 3 months ago. I narrowed down my car choices to the TSX, IS, G, 3 series, C300, A4.

For the money the TSX is the best IMO. Rear seat room was also a consideration. I love the IS, but rear seat room seemed cramped and it was several thousand more.

I am happy with my decision. Yes, my car is not as fast as some others, but I paid 26k for my TSX. I would have easily paid 35K for the other cars on this list.
What options did you include?

From edmunds.com research shows the TSX at $28.5K invoice? How did you get it for $26K?

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's a really clean car. Thanks for being straight up and to the point w/ everything! 26K ! That's a great deal to me.

Yeah, the rear seats are going to be important to me. I cannot imagine sitting in the back of the IS350, as it was freaking hell during traffic.

With the paddle shifters, does it get in the way if I don't use them?

Also, how was the debdaging ? Would like to know. I can't wait to visit the dealer, after this month's project at work, I plan on getting this done!

Would love to get:
Floor mats
Trunk tray
splash guards
nah they dont get in the way. you might want to try the paddle shifters during your test drive too.

debadging was easy. i used pliers and a heat gun.

there was another member on a TSX forum at ac ura zine. c o m that got it for $26,7xxx and my dealer just matched it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
nah they dont get in the way. you might want to try the paddle shifters during your test drive too.

debadging was easy. i used pliers and a heat gun.

there was another member on a TSX forum at ac ura zine. c o m that got it for $26,7xxx and my dealer just matched it.
Hey defcon!

Remember me, the guy that asked you about your car being registered in Nagaoka? lol

Anyways, i've gotten some dealer quotes for the 4-banger w/o navi and the cheapest i got was 28.9k out the door from Cerritos...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Acura = Reliable

Im on my sixth Acura (3 ELs, an RDX and two TSXs). Great cars with few if any service.issues. Have the 2011 TSX Nav AT now and love it. Plenty perky for city driving and, when required the paddle shifters get me going quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned both an Audi A4 and a BMW 328ci. Both are great cars, great performers, and reliable...however in the long run they are both costly to maintain. Small fixes can turn into large bills once you are out of warranty. I didn't have any major issues with either, but I read enough horror stories from people in the 80-100K mile range to make me reconsider keeping the cars that long.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just picked up a 11 TSX, no nav, white w/ebony interior. My dealer hardly budged on MSRP but did give me pay off on my trade. I also got great financing but overall loving the car. Just got the windows tinted this week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts