Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a car to commute to school starting next month for the next two years. I researched some older cars and found the tsx to be pretty good.

There's a dealership near me that has a 2005 TSX with 125,000 miles for $9500. I found it walking down the street, went int o check it out, and test drove. Everything seem good.

Here's what I plan to do with the car:

100 miles round trip twice a week for 32 weeks for year 1
100 miles round trip three times a week for 32 weeks year 2

And drive to the shore and nyc on occasions
The car should have less than 20,000 additional miles on it in two years.

The salesman said that it was company policy not to let cars off the lot to be inspected, but I could bring my own mechanic there and use their lift. All the internet advice recommends have a prepurchase inspection, but my two friends who are into cars advised against it. I was thinking I could order a carchex person to come out.

I never bought a car, and don't know anything about cars so this experience is very bewildering.
I can do simple stuff like fluid checks and brake checks, and i looked on youtube to learn about other stuff like body checks. I didn't get a chance to check the entire car out that day, but I will be going back next week to inspect it again with everything i learned. if everything goes well and the carfax is good, i might buy it without the prepurchase inspection. The dealership has 5/5 stars from all it's online customer reviews at car.com, and the salesman said the car was solid and comes with 30 day warranty. i may buy the extended warranty just in case.

I'm going to ask them to put the car on the lift for me to look underneath. Any idea on what a good 8.5 year old undercarriage looks like?

I also found an almost identical 2005 tsx 40 miles away, but that's a 2.5 hour bus/subway/bus ride one way -_-

·
Registered
292 Posts
Check the log books to make sure all the regular servicing has been done.
Ideally, take someone with you to give the car the once over that has experience in checking cars over. Look at the colour of the oil and Auto trans fluid. The oil shouldn't be black and the trans fluid should be red and not dark with any 'burnt smell'.
Do you have a service there that does mechanical checks for a nominal fee?

Take it for another test drive and if it has a users manual, check the electrics and controls. Run the aircon and make sure it's cold.

Really, at 125k. if it's been regularly serviced, it should be fine. These are very reliable cars. Nothing wrong with the autos at all.

If the extended warranty is affordable, get it. Make sure it covers the air con. This is a known problem and will be costly if it does go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your help. i decided not to get a TSX...just not yet. In the future maybe. The AC was a deal killer for me. I talked with my parents and they're thinking of getting a CPO Accent now for around $12k. Hyundai built the trains, which I ride everyday, for my bus company, and they seem to be running well, so hopefully their cars will be the same.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
ac problems seem to be with the 04 tsx. Have owned Hyundai's that went over 100K miles with no problems. Own a 06 tsx, bought new 11/06. Even tho I have had all the service done by two acura dealers none of it shows up on carfax. The two dealers do not share information with them. Do not rely on carfax. My tsx now has 158K+problem free miles-ac works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to come back to the tsx, and the dealer still has it!

I got a few questions. You guys think i can start off with a $7000 offer? It will need new tires in a month or so, and they ac might break....
And if i were to pay with tangible cash, would the price be better?

I'll be going back this week to reevaluate the car. Theres been 2 owners so far

·
Banned
269 Posts
Car seems to have little bit of problems. Your should hustle and tell them you want brand new tires all around and till take it with the way the AC is for 7k cash. If they dont budge then do 8k with everything done.

Kbb on this car in amazing condition retail $11,500. And thats in AMAZING CONDITION, you need to hustle them man. Just as much as you want that car thats how much they want to get it out their hands. Also if its been in the lot for that long there's gotta be a reason why! TSX go like hot cakes! super realible cars

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran a carfax. Eberythings cleaned and the previous owners maintained it. It was offered for sale at a chevy dealership in early june. Got sold at auction, and this dealer ship has owned it since end of june. It comes from a ruralish area in pennsylvania.

And black leather, no ac, yikes!
23, first time buying a car, yikes again. Its going to be in my dads name though, to keep the insurance cheap

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully, i will be posting much more if i buy!

·
Banned
269 Posts
I ran a carfax. Eberythings cleaned and the previous owners maintained it. It was offered for sale at a chevy dealership in early june. Got sold at auction, and this dealer ship has owned it since end of june. It comes from a ruralish area in pennsylvania.

And black leather, no ac, yikes!
23, first time buying a car, yikes again. Its going to be in my dads name though, to keep the insurance cheap

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully, i will be posting much more if i buy!
WORK ON THAT PRICE BUD!:ben:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a civic or integra would be better in your current situation
Why do you say that?

And I would be all over the 07 tsx if it weren't a stick. My parents would need to drive it too!

and i was just at the dealership today. test drove, and checked everything. clean trans fluid, Michelin tires, everything works...except for the remote lock for the driver's side door. ac still ice cold so far. they turned on the engine so didn't get a chance to check the other fluids. all the belts look good. i'm going tomorrow morning to check the rest of the fluids, and discuss price.

the engine was roaring during acceleration, nothing sounded weird. alignment looks good, no tremblings.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Why do you say that?

And I would be all over the 07 tsx if it weren't a stick. My parents would need to drive it too!

and i was just at the dealership today. test drove, and checked everything. clean trans fluid, Michelin tires, everything works...except for the remote lock for the driver's side door. ac still ice cold so far. they turned on the engine so didn't get a chance to check the other fluids. all the belts look good. i'm going tomorrow morning to check the rest of the fluids, and discuss price.

the engine was roaring during acceleration, nothing sounded weird. alignment looks good, no tremblings.
i say that because sub $10k for a tsx is going to be a challenge, unless you're open to salvaged cars and/or willing to make compromises (i.e. multiple owners, no ac, auction car, etc.).

ultimately it is your decision, but maybe getting something cheap and reliable now to save up for something nicer is another good option. you're still young dude

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The sticker is $9500, it has 2 owners, and is an auction car. so far, prior to taxes and fees, it is under 10k. my parents will be paying for part of it and driving it as well so it's still a family car.

and regarding the automatic door, i would rather them take off like $200 or however much it costs to fix. I'll use the key like I normally do anyways

and i remember, they said they replaced the brake pads, but the front appears much thinner than the rears. is that normal? Are new pads the same thickness, comparing front and rear?

Theres also this rust looking white stuff onthe pipe near the grill under the hood. It rubs off easily. The dealer cleaned up under the hood after receiving the car, this must have occured between the 30 days theyve had it. What do you think it is?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.