Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a set of lightweight pulleys, but my main concern is the underdriven crank pulley and its effect on the A/C's performance. I live in Florida and A/C is essential, and I don't want to affect it too much.
My old accord's UR pulley created issues of a/c performance when it idled

Those who've installed the pulleys:
Is it beneficial to just get lightweight accessory pullies?
Is there a noticeable difference in a/c performance with the underdriven crank pulley? Is it worth it to get a stock diameter light weight crank pulley?

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which set do you have installed?

I see your located in NJ, have you had the a/c blasting in 90+ degree weather?
Im a huge stickler for a properly working A/C, and summers get 95+ here in Orlando, I'd hate to have my a/c not work well if i am sitting at a light.
It will obviously work fine if I am up to speed. I am more interested in finding out if it affects the a/c's performance while idling in hot weather..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just installed the UR underdrive set yesterday, and there are some pretty noticeable gains. It's cold here now tho, so not sure how the A/C works, but I read lots of reviews before buying these and i didn't see anyone complaining about A/C issues. If you are that worried about it, you could get UR's stock diameter set. I think the underdrive will give you maybe 10-15% more power than the stock diameter set. I think the underdrive will also give you ever so slightly more mpg's since the accessories are dragging the engine down less.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Yeah I am considering the stock diameter crank pulley. I was hoping I could get input from those who live in hot climates

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I've had the 3 piece UR pulley set for 2 years.

Had my car parked outside for the whole day in 95+ degrees and outside in Vegas. Never had any complaints with the AC. But results may vary, always remember that.

·
Silver Surfer
45 Posts
I purchased the AEM Tru-Power pulley kit but I have yet to install it. I am trying to determine which belt to use with the new power steering and alternator pulley. The kit, unlike the UR kit, does not come with a crank pulley.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i live in hawaii so i think i'm qualified to speak on this...

in my previous 5AT, the 3-piece underdrive pulley set definitely made the the a/c perform a tad bit warmer imho.

in the super hot afternoons i had to drop the a/c temp a couple of degrees to keep the same "cool" feeling in the cabin.

ymmv...

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
04 MT and in socal. I also had the underdrive set and did notice that the blower would be somewhat lower during idle, but I was expecting that. While driving though, it was normal. For me, when I had it on, the benefits outweigh this minor issue.
If you plan on getting the stock size, I don't think you'll have to worry about any of this at all.

·
Registered
874 Posts
i live in South FLA, have all 3 pulleys installed from UR and car works just fine man. no issues with A/C

Those who've installed the pulleys:
Is it beneficial to just get lightweight accessory pullies?
Is there a noticeable difference in a/c performance with the underdriven crank pulley? Is it worth it to get a stock diameter light weight crank pulley?
Yes, feels like the car is lighter
NO.
Yes, but thats my opinion

·
Registered
325 Posts
Under driving the AC compressor will NOT have a negative impact in your AC temps. The compressor clutch is only engaged until a set high side pressure is achieved. Once the pressure sensor sees said pressure, the clutch is disengaged. After the pressure drops below a set PSI the clutch reengages. Its repeats this cycle.

If anything, your clutch will just be engaging more often since lower compressor speeds mean slower high side pressure charging.

Again, AC compressor speed has no affect on temps. You should have no issues whatsoever.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Under driving the AC compressor will NOT have a negative impact in your AC temps. The compressor clutch is only engaged until a set high side pressure is achieved. Once the pressure sensor sees said pressure, the clutch is disengaged. After the pressure drops below a set PSI the clutch reengages. Its repeats this cycle.

If anything, your clutch will just be engaging more often since lower compressor speeds mean slower high side pressure charging.

Again, AC compressor speed has no affect on temps. You should have no issues whatsoever.
I do understand how the compressor engages/disengages, and understand there wont be any issue while driving, my main concern is while the car is idling.

Like I said before, my 94 accord had UR pulleys, and it DID affect a/c performance at idle. Granted the compressor was older, which I'm sure affects the performance as well.

My 06 has 115k miles, the a/c works quite well. On a 90 degree day here, I can usually set the a/c at 72 and have it cool within a few mins
I am however noticing more drag from the compressor when it engages..

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've never had any issues reading, so bolding particular words isn't changing anything.

But if you're a fan of using bold....The system works the same way, idling or not, due to the condenser fan. If you noticed a performance loss on your old accords ac system, it would most likely have been due to needing a system recharge long before installing anything. Your AC system was most likely already over working the compressor just to maintain pressure; once you slowed the compressor down I'm going to assume it would be engaged almost nonstop at idle due to lower airflow across the condenser combined with low charge/system contamination.

Just my educated guess; automotive HVAC ASE certified, among other systems.

TLDR; A properly maintained AC system with no prior issues will have no problems with under drive pulleys, due to how the system is designed to work. An always-on system would suffer, but these are not used in automotive applications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.