Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ticking noise from the car. It sounds like a lifter ticking but, the shop says it is coming from the transmission area. They believe it is the input shaft bearing, but I can't see that. It only makes the noise when you are in higher gears ie 4,5, and 6. It is extremely loud when next to a road divider. If you push the clutch in it goes away. At neutral it does not produce sound, when I rev it does not produce sound, if I downshift it makes the same sound. I have had both axles replaced, tires, and a new clutch kit installed. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Any way you can take a video? Is it an aggressive click? If it was the mainshaft, i think it would always make a noise because the mainshaft spins at the engine RPM speed-. I actually took a TSX transmission apart today lol. possibly something on the countershaft?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Thats gonna be a bad throw out bearing. Its the bearing that your clutch fork pushes into to press the fingers on the pressure plate which releases the clutch from the flywheel.

Your pressure plate is most likely shot as well, and since your in there I would just replace the whole clutch system.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thats gonna be a bad throw out bearing. Its the bearing that your clutch fork pushes into to press the fingers on the pressure plate which releases the clutch from the flywheel.

Your pressure plate is most likely shot as well, and since your in there I would just replace the whole clutch system.
He said he just had a clutch kit installed. The ticking should be the same for every gear if it's the throw out bearing. The noise would be engine RPM dependent and clutch engaged/disengaged dependent but it sounds like he has tested those and has come up with a rattle/tick more noticeable in higher gears.

Does the sound change when you apply throttle in 4, 5 or 6 versus when you are coasting and the wheels are back-torquing the motor? Have you checked the oil level in the tranny? if some was dumped out during clutch or axle replacement that could cause a lubrication issue.

Do you have a way to get under the car and look at where the axles are installed in the transmission? Maybe take a peek and see if there's any way one of the axles wasn't fully installed into the transmission case.

While you're under there (if you can), have a friend slowly work the clutch pedal with the engine running to see if you hear the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
He said he just had a clutch kit installed. The ticking should be the same for every gear if it's the throw out bearing. The noise would be engine RPM dependent and clutch engaged/disengaged dependent but it sounds like he has tested those and has come up with a rattle/tick more noticeable in higher gears.
As if a new part cant fail? Ill bet they used the crap one that comes with the clutch kit... He already said if the clutch is depressed the noise goes away, if thats the case it is the throwout bearing.

Regardless the trans needs to come out whether its a throwout or a shaft bearing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
As if a new part cant fail? Ill bet they used the crap one that comes with the clutch kit... He already said if the clutch is depressed the noise goes away, if thats the case it is the throwout bearing.

Regardless the trans needs to come out whether its a throwout or a shaft bearing.
You're right, a new part can fail. But by saying the pressure plate is most likely shot as well makes it sound like you didn't catch that a clutch kit was installed.

Before the OP dives into a hefty repair bill, some troubleshooting can be done; that's what we're here for. What if he has all of the above replaced and then the noise is still there?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
You're right, a new part can fail. But by saying the pressure plate is most likely shot as well makes it sound like you didn't catch that a clutch kit was installed.

Before the OP dives into a hefty repair bill, some troubleshooting can be done; that's what we're here for. What if he has all of the above replaced and then the noise is still there?
Well thats the problem with forums, you need to take any advice with a grain of salt. I agree with you that trouble shooting needs to be done, but when he says that when the clutch is depressed the noise goes away that immediately points me towards a TO bearing. Could it be something else? Of course but that is my best judgement over a keyboard.

Now they said the noise is coming from the trans, Im assuming there fairly capable and they are correct. If thats the case, the trans needs to come out regardless of what the problem is. The reason why I say the PP is shot is because this is what they look like after a TO bearing goes bad:
It doesnt take very long for it to dig in like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ticking/clicking noise that happens when i downshift without giving it gas and the same noise sometimes when i put it to the floor. Its going into the shop tomorrow for the slave/master cylinder replacement. Could this noise be a pressure plate?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.