Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car into the dealership today and they diagnosed the shake I was feeling in the wheel (and throughout the cabin) as inner CV joints on their way out. Time for new axles.

Since it seems like the oem TSX axles are prone to wear out relatively quickly compared to the other Hondas/Acuras I've owned (3 civics, 1 Integra, 1 TL, and my TSX). What do you all suggest for replacements? Normally I try and keep my daily drivers as close to stock as possible, but I'm worried that if use the OEM axles again that I may run into the same problem in 2-3 years (I typically put ~15,000 miles on my car per year). The engine and suspension are stock, and I intend on keeping them that way down the road.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
OEM or remanufactured oem.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
+1 just stick with OEM. they were made for the car!

when i had my 04 TSX, the axles were fine... and we have snow, rain, salt, sand, dirt, mud up here in Canada, and i have over 180,000 km on that car

·
Forum Vendor
180 Posts
are there any rated for 500hp? rofl
Actually yes there are.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=16

Acura TSX 500HP Level 2.9 Axles
Description:Our unbelievable level 2.9 axles are now available for the TSX. These axles are for the extreme street/track machine. Being the TSX has a larger 28 spline outer cv, these axles are designed to handle 500HP at the wheels (maybe more), forced induction or all-motor cars (yes that's right). These axles are the result of our extreme track testing. The inner and center bar is borrowed from our track tested Level 3 system using a new proprietary material, solid torsional center bars, chromoly spline plug and high grade inner housings with oversized tripod. What makes this stand apart from the rest is the new outer cv made from high grade chromoly that has one of the wildest heat treats known to man. During destructive testing it broke a 300m bar!!! . These axles also come with removable ABS rings. Are you ready for the next major level? Price is for both left and right axles.
Product Category:Level 2.9 475HP-----------------------------------------------RA4010X2------RA4011X2
Price:$859.99

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I hate when they rate axles' capacity by HP. Its tq and traction that kills axles. You can run a million hp through an OE axle without breaking it. Even though HP is related to tq at rpm but dammit people stop saying our axles can withstand 500hp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey what kind of vibrations did you get?
A faint vibration is felt in 3rd thru 6th gears under acceleration only. Not under braking. Not under coasting (when in neutral). Its most noticeable when if you are crusing at a light throttle position and then begin to tip the throttle in to increase acceleration 2500-4500 rpms. But is present to a degree during most accleration.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FWIW: the vibration felt now is substantially less than it was 3 weeks ago when I bought the car.

I had my tires balanced at Discount Tire twice in during the first week I owned it. I took it to Acura the following week and their tech said that at least one of the tires way out of the balance. They balanced the front tires and when I drove it off the lot the vibration was greatly reduced. At least its something I can live with now. Before it felt like the car was going to shake itself to death.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you want you can try to put new grease in the inner joints, sometimes it makes a huge difference and every vibration dissapears, sometimes it dont.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Told you it was an axle.. :) Honestly, I'd either go OEM, or driveshaftshop 2.9's (which is what I have on my k24 integra).. Next time you come to visit (tomorrow), remind me about the issue, and we'll talk more..

Took the car into the dealership today and they diagnosed the shake I was feeling in the wheel (and throughout the cabin) as inner CV joints on their way out. Time for new axles.

Since it seems like the oem TSX axles are prone to wear out relatively quickly compared to the other Hondas/Acuras I've owned (3 civics, 1 Integra, 1 TL, and my TSX). What do you all suggest for replacements? Normally I try and keep my daily drivers as close to stock as possible, but I'm worried that if use the OEM axles again that I may run into the same problem in 2-3 years (I typically put ~15,000 miles on my car per year). The engine and suspension are stock, and I intend on keeping them that way down the road.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
A faint vibration is felt in 3rd thru 6th gears under acceleration only. Not under braking. Not under coasting (when in neutral). Its most noticeable when if you are crusing at a light throttle position and then begin to tip the throttle in to increase acceleration 2500-4500 rpms. But is present to a degree during most accleration.
well i guess i got some axles to change... i have the same vibration.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts