Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Toronto
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had a problem on my tsx for a while now, and I don't want to screw around any more before I end up blowing my head.

I've got this nasty rattle in my engine while in gear.
It's an AT 05 TSX sitting at 91 xxx kms. The problem had seemed to have occured since around 77 xxx kms. When it's in Neutral or Park, the noise goes away.
Alot of people have tried to diagnose and found nothing, alot were telling me it's right in the engine. I've already tried replacing my Idler Tensioner/Pulley, and I thought it was that.. It wasn't.

I am hoping to go to Honda/Acura for a diagnostic test soon to see if they can figure it out. But at the same time, I don't really trust them too much if they diagnose it wrong, which I've seen happen to many people. I've already got them to quote a replacement on timing chain. They told me it's going to cost me a good $1,000 to do the job.

I was going to take off my valve cover myself to see if there is any play, but I don't want to mess around too much while the cover is off before I mess up, which is why I'm posting here first.
Advice would be great, as I really don't want to lose my money on something I'm not too sure about.

What do you guys think?

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
i noticed my idle suffers from what you describe too. there are a few threads on this topic. Personally, I thought it got worse after installing an excelerate stock diameter lightweight pulley, but I'm not 100% sure. do you have aftermarket pulleys?

from the threads ive seen, be sure to check your motor/tranny mounts.

edit: sorry, i read it as a vibration problem, not a rattle. good luck to you!

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulleys are stock.

might i add that the noise goes away once i hit throttle/accelerator

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Could the issue be related to the one in this thread? http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-suspension/25647-exhaust-chassis-bracing-issue-lack-hanger-support.html

Maybe depending on how hard you drive and your environment, maybe it has worn down that area some how and allowed it to start moving? It's down below, so maybe it sounds like its coming from the engine when it's not? (I have a 6MT, so I don't have the rattle issue and might be imagining the sound wrong)

This is just an idea of something that you can check before you spend all of that money. The thread has an inexpensive fix in the case that this is the issue you're running into.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
If in fact the chain is loose, the Timing chain Tensioner is bad. If the sound persists for a long time it can also damage the timing chain guides. This problem is very easy to diagnose, so it should have been cought by your mechanic.

Let me ask you a couple of questions about symptoms.
Does it only happen when its a cold engine start? all the time? or while the engine is running?
Also, do you hear sounds when you are decelerating from speed?
Does the sound come from the passenger side of the engine?

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I just got back from Honda.

They said the noise is an internal noise.
I was notified that I will be charged a fee for 1 hr diagnostics. That's +$110. Then they said they checked my timing chain and everything seems to be fine, they are going to adjust my valves. I guess they may have thought the tappets were making noises. That again I was notified it is another additional $110.

After about 2 hours, they told me I needed a new Valve Cover Gasket as I had a leak, so I said okay to replacing that too.. Another +$80 to add to the bill. After about another half hour, they finished the job and notified me that the problem still persists, but it seemed to have helped a bit.. Bullshit, the problem was still there and now my car idle's louder as the tappets are making noticeable noises now.

Might I add that in the end they recommended me to do an Oil Change to a thicker oil, which was probably the smartest thing they recommended I do all day. So I gave them the okay on that.. +$30.

So by the end, with all labour added and everything.. I ended up spending $400 for no reason. Now I still have the ugly noise and my car idles louder due to the valve adjustments.

Their only conclusion was it may be the Cams, but they said that is an even more expensive job to do then timing chain, due to the fact that they would have to send out the Cams to have them measured to see if anything is even wrong. That's where I cut them short..

Now I'm short $400 and don't know what to do from here on.

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If in fact the chain is loose, the Timing chain Tensioner is bad. If the sound persists for a long time it can also damage the timing chain guides. This problem is very easy to diagnose, so it should have been cought by your mechanic.

Let me ask you a couple of questions about symptoms.
Does it only happen when its a cold engine start? all the time? or while the engine is running?
Also, do you hear sounds when you are decelerating from speed?
Does the sound come from the passenger side of the engine?

Doesnt happen at cold starts. Only when car is driven and warmed up and at stop lights, stop signs.. (When in Drive or Reverse). The sound does NOT exist in Park or Neutral. I don't hear sounds while decellerating or accellerating.. Only while I'm sitting at Idle in Drive @ about 700-750 RPM.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
That's a horrible dealer if they fix things by trial-and-error. Valve adjustments should make the car quieter (it's when you can hear the valves that you should get them adjusted).

I wonder if the rattle is something simple. Maybe it's the radiator, its overflow container, or some other thing. They have some movement/play, so they could very well be the ones shaking while the car is in gear at a stop. When you put it in neutral/park, the idle drops so they aren't shaken as much anymore, and when you accelerate/decelerate, they are pushed in one direction or another by inertia and can't rattle.

Have someone get in your car while you pop the hood. Have the person put the car in gear (as if he/she is at a stop sign). See if you can locate where the sound is coming from.

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried doing that. In alot of places through the engine the noise travels through. It sounds like it's comming from the idler tensioner, then it sounds like it's comming from by the headers. It's actually quite confusing..

And yes, I know. It's actually quite a piss off seeing as how I went to the dealer with an intention of fixing this noise, and left with my car sounding like a GMC Cargo Van & the noise is still there.

Do you think it is worth it just to swap the head? I wanted to do it.. Seeing as it's the easiest way to figure out what the problem is, have it fixed & sell it. Only problem is that I'm not too sure if the noise is even comming from there.. I feel 92% sure it's comming from under the valve cover.. But who knows, I could be wrong. Out of all my predictions so far, seems like I was wrong.

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've checked all shields for rattling. Wouldnt really make sense. I'm not sure what it could be to have the engine rattling at 600-650 RPM;.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
i'm curious to know which dealership you went to..if you don't feel comfortable posting here please PM me. I'm looking to change up my Acura dealer..

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@carbon. This has not been resolved as yet.

@2K6. i went to Roadsport Honda @ Kennedy & Ellesmere. Doubt I would be going back there. I think I might just go to Formula Honda, or maybe Toronto Honda. Not sure yet.
Formula seems to be the closest one, but I still have yet to hear reviews.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you had a mishift?

I don't see why a cam would cause trouble unless it's broken...

It is a shame that the didn't diagnose it right and at the same time you had to pay for useless parts.

Don't know if they would be the same for the TSX but I know for a fact that the tensionner for the t/chain is noisy when cold on the S2k.

Did they use a stethoscope at least?

For sure it will takes time to find it but really, it shouldn't be too hard.

·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry to bring back the post from the dead, i just seen your post.
I have checked throughout the engine with a scope many times as I have also had friends and mechanics all check it out too. as much suggestions as I have, I still dont know what it is.

I STILL have a feeling it could be the timing chain tensioner.. But that job is not a cheap job at all.. My car is only at around 96,000KMS now. I got the car from a private dealer, so I dont think it even has warranty. Especially if the guys at Honda never told me so..

ps/ this noise still persists up till this day. help! :(

·
Registered
427 Posts
I changed my chain tensioner at the dealer cause of the clicking noise and it did nothing. Engine still clicks a but when in drive... Near the belt area... Don't know what it could be. That's what the dealer told me when I went in. How loud is your click?

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to bring back the post from the dead, i just seen your post.
I have checked throughout the engine with a scope many times as I have also had friends and mechanics all check it out too. as much suggestions as I have, I still dont know what it is.

I STILL have a feeling it could be the timing chain tensioner.. But that job is not a cheap job at all.. My car is only at around 96,000KMS now. I got the car from a private dealer, so I dont think it even has warranty. Especially if the guys at Honda never told me so..

ps/ this noise still persists up till this day. help! :(
I thought I was alone. I too have the same exact problem. I have an 06 TSX with 172k miles on it. The noise started about a month ago and it's driving me crazy! I have had the drive belt and pulley changed hoping that it would help. However, the noise is still there. As Lexx mentions, it is only when the car is in gear and is idling at a traffic light for example. It does not come on when the car is in park or neutral. I too thought that it might be the tensioner or the timing chain but my mechanic said it was doubtful and so did one or two of honda/acura mechanics I took it to here in New Jersey. They too tried to detect with a scope and it seems like it is coming from the engine. I am skeptical that it could be the tensioner but I don't know if it's worth 1k to have it replaced and then have the sound persist. Please let me know if you have any luck. I'll do the same!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Do a valve adjustment.?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts