Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i bought a 2004 tsx about 6 months ago and had no cel or warning of a bad timing chain, satuday night went out to start it wouldnt turn over. Towed the car to my mechanic found out timing chain skipped 3 teeth and bent 4 valves.

Now i have 3 options.

Get my mechanic to

1) replace tensioner, guides, intake machining etc. pretty much rebuild the head, it will cost around $2500-3000.

Unfortunatly locally i can not source a k24a2 head but did find other opptions.

2) K20a2 head
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-Acura-rsx-transmission-And-motor-W0QQAdIdZ499581675

3) k20z3 head
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-K-series-parts-k20-k24-06-civic-SI-W0QQAdIdZ455833104

Im a noob when it comes to stuff like this and im not looking for any power gains i just want my car to drive like it was again.

which head-

would fit on the k24a2 block?

would i need to run k pro?

if i can get any help it would be great, thanks for your time.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Either head will fit, if your cams are still good use your cams on the k20a2 head. You'll actually be able to pick up a few hp if you have flashpro or kpro. Make sure you do NOT use the VTC gear that is on the k20a2 cams unless you have a way to control the extra advancement.

Personally I wouldn't recommend swapping to something other than a stock k24a2 head, unless you have a way to monitor your A/Fs, as it will flow more air and the ECU may not be able to keep up.

Regardless you'll need to replace TCT, chain, and your guides most likely.

Browse over to k20.org, there are always people selling parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
located in alberta canada, alright after alot of searching i found a k24a2 head and also have found a k24a4 long block.

im most likely going to buy the k24a2, how difficult is doing the head install along with install the guides tensioner and chain?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
located in alberta canada, alright after alot of searching i found a k24a2 head and also have found a k24a4 long block.

im most likely going to buy the k24a2, how difficult is doing the head install along with install the guides tensioner and chain?
Engine in the car? very difficult.

Engine out of the car? Moderate. This isnt really a task for your basic DIYer, if you arent comfortable with a task like this I would recommend recruiting a friend or having a shop take care of it for you. Make sure you run a comp test and leak down test after the work has been completed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.