Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone need some tips and advice please.

i have read numerous threads on here and other forums on how to change the cams and vtc.

after some advice on how to get to the chain tensioner.

looks like a right PITA to get too.

for those of you who have done this how did you do it?

is it easier to get to from underneath? as ive only had a breif look from the top.

the rest of it im pretty sure i can handle.

just hoping the chain doesnt slip as its pretty tight doen that side and really cant be bothered with taking of the timing chain cover and everything else :squint:

so just advice please guys thanks very much :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Have a lot of time. It's not rocket science but it is something that needs to be done 100% correct. A lift isn't a must but sure made it a lot easier instead of having to get up and down all the time. Me and a friend who had a history of being a acura tech just did mine yesterday and it took all day.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
862 Posts
WTF ?? Acura tech done cam swap for whole day ? Cmon man, cant believe. Ive never hold any keys in hands , b4 i started to tune my car i just opened my hood to add water to windshield washer )) Me and my buddy just watched junk2 video twice and had laptop with service manual in case something goes wrong and to see how tight we need to srew bolts and done that swap in 4hrs. 4hrs between we opened hood to engine start, valve lash adjusting included ) 2nd swap for my buddy took nearly 2.5hrs. My local stealership told me they need 2 days for this and they need to take engine out !!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I said acura tech, not seasoned acura tech lol. It was his first time doing it and we also installed the rbc intake as well, plus a lunch break etc.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Honest answer? Pull the motor. If you have the skills to install a new camshaft you have the skills to pull the motor. It might seem excessive but I promise your hands will be alot less cut up and you wont need a keg of your favorite beer afterwards.

People have done it in the bay but everyone says its a royal PITA. GL either way def a worthy mod.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Id might say +100 for engine pull out if you also need\plan to swap an oil pump. Taking pan and chain cover out is a real PITA. Just swappin cams - piece of cake, tensioner cover isnt that hard to reach and unscrew 3 bolts. No lift needed , a garage with a hole in the floor is just enough. You can also reach it from the right wheel side, no need to lift at all.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I won't be taking the engine out. Only swapping cam and VTC gear.
:)

Seems like it should be easy enough with the engine in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Gunna give it a crack on Saturday I think

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Good Luck! Hope she doesnt fight ya!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dont let the chain to drop down and miss crank sprocket teeth ! Keep it tensioned ! Or youll screw your timing and there will be a real PITA

And i dont know why did they pulled the tensioner out there in that swap manual ? Dont need to do so, just fix it with the pin and keep it in place.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
you dont have to remove it, but in my experience it made it easier to remove the vtc if you remove the tensioner. It made it easier but added alot of time, i would say try it first before removeing it.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
Dont let the chain to drop down and miss crank sprocket teeth ! Keep it tensioned ! Or youll screw your timing and there will be a real PITA

And i dont know why did they pulled the tensioner out there in that swap manual ? Dont need to do so, just fix it with the pin and keep it in place.
i think it was more of a 'hey, since you're doing all of this and you want to put in a new chain tensioner, this is how to do it' kind of thing.

besides, i think a lot of people will place a new on in if they're upgrading cams as a precaution especially if they've got a bit of mileage on the original tensioner.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well just to update.

ive spent this weekend swapping the cam and vtc.

its not as easy as its shown in the skunk2 video.

i still managed to do it all on my own with no help. took my time and got it all done right.

i followed this as a guide but i did it .: K-Series News & Information :. - K-Series Camshaft Installation

the hardest bit was actually getting the chain off the vtc gear.

i did it by removing the bolt that holds the intake cam gear onto the camshaft, that way i could easily remove the cam gear and put the new one in the i was able to just slide the new camshaft into the new cam gear.

i also had a bungi cord attatched to the underside of the hood and onto the chain to keep it nice and tight.

then i just torqued it all up after.

i would say its rather tricky so if your thinking of attempting this but dont know what your doing then i would either get it done at the garage or get someone who does know what theyre doing to help you.

just incase your chain slips and you have to remove the cover etc to put it back correctly.

if anyones got any questions i will be happy to help. i still have the valve cover off atm as i need a new gasket so i can take some pictures if required.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Good job! Enjoy the tq

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.