Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of the kind of stuff they use at the car wash where they actually paint on the grease..because there stuff always looks better and lasts longer than my spray on stuff

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
:donno: Never heard of anything like that. :donno:

Anybody else??

I'd be afraid that ANYTHING you sprayed or painted on the tire might mess up its composition or something.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Do most of y'all actually do anything to the tire?
And what for? Is it just a looks thing? And is there no concern about what it does to the tire?

Like I said, I never heard of it. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I use eagle one. It comes in a clear spray bottle. It gives it a nice wet look not a fake plasticy(is that a word? :p) lookAlso pick up the aplicators that they sell it's curved to fit the wheel.

It's still new in this picture so it won't look quite as wet but pretty close.

Attachments

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
I have read some guy pour the tire shine stuff out of the spray & keep in container.
And he'd use a brush to "paint" the stuff on the tires after he cleans the wheels.- no spraying.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
I have read some guy pour the tire shine stuff out of the spray & keep in container.
And he'd use a brush to "paint" the stuff on the tires after he cleans the wheels.- no spraying.
thats pretty much what the applicator does just with less hassle.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The commercial tyre shine/glaze used is a concentrate based application, it works out much cheaper generally in costs. In terms of durability it's just like the spray on types.

I'd have to go with the Meguiars Gloss Endurance Tyre Shine if anything. It truly last for weeks instead of days, also requires a sponge/wipe on application instead of spray. This stuff also doesn't get onto the body panels no matter how hard you drive.

I find those spray type applications to be a major PITA, it always spreads at movement onto the body panels and takes an effort to get rid of. Not to mention, those spots and patches look ugly as well.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Thank you very much for the info CL9 K24a!!
As always, your posts have great info!
Please keep up the great work :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I use the spray and it never gets on the car.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Still nobody has said.....
What is this kinda stuff FOR????

Is it just for shine?

Larchmont, who doesn't get that.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
larchmont said:
Still nobody has said.....What is this kinda stuff FOR????
Yes, it's only to gloss-up the black for visual purposes. Tyres without shine applied loses lustre over time through element exposure particularly from sunlight. While there is no improvement or adverse effects when using tyre shine, if anything it is a hazard which can cause slip or loss of traction when cornering.

And if you aren't getting flowing patches from spray applications, that means you aren't applying enough.
Spray applications give the maximum gloss though.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
actually I apply plenty. Just because you can't use it withough patches or flinging problems doesn't mean I can't. Spray it on the applicator then put it on. Plenty of shine without any blotching or flinging. That picture above didn't fling at all and there's no blotches or patches. You can't really try to tell me there's not enough on there.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
CL9 K24a said:
Yes, it's only to gloss-up the black for visual purposes. Tyres without shine applied loses lustre over time through element exposure particularly from sunlight. While there is no improvement or adverse effects when using tyre shine, if anything it is a hazard which can cause slip or loss of traction when cornering.....
Soooooo......this doesn't bother anybody? :donno:

Larchmont, who must be totally setting a record for :donno:

P.S. Thanks for the answer, CL9!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
never had any problems. Although I did read about some brilliant Lexus owner that decided to put it on his treads....he put the car into a tree in the rain. :smash:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yup, that's basically what I'm talking about too. :eek:

So I guess you just put it on the sidewall.....

But what about "gravity"? Plus people not knowing what they're doing.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
tony4311 said:
I did read about some brilliant Lexus owner that decided to put it on his treads....he put the car into a tree in the rain. :smash:
:eek: I bet he wont do that again ;)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
tony4311 said:
actually I apply plenty. Just because you can't use it withough patches or flinging problems doesn't mean I can't. Spray it on the applicator then put it on.
I highlight the key phrase because the general consensus would agree they simply shake the bottle and spray the tyrewalls to their hearts content. Should you have mentioned you use an application, that'll be a different story.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
larchmont said:
Yup, that's basically what I'm talking about too. :eek:

So I guess you just put it on the sidewall.....

But what about "gravity"? Plus people not knowing what they're doing.
It specifically states not to put it on the tread. It's just for sidewall. What you mean about "gravity"? it just dries up unless you put too much on. then it can drip down.

It really makes the rim standout, and looks like new. It does nothing to damage compositiion of tire...its like putting hairspray on your hair...shiny forehead...just washes off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts