Acura TSX Forum banner

Tires

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CG1120 
#1 ·
2012 TSX Special Edition with 6 speed manual. Car will be handed down to our soon to be 17 year-old son in December (we live in NJ so there may be snow and ice to contend with). About to hit 81K and need to replace the tires before the winter. 1st set were Michelin Primacy and 2nd set were Yokohama Avid Ascend. Tread life wasn't great on either, but the Michelins handled much better than the Yokohamas did. Anyone have any luck with a particular all season tire for their TSX recently? Safety is # 1 priority with a new driver, but would hope to get a little better tread life for a fair price. Michelins seem to be $$$$$ and every tire that is fit for the vehicle has negative reviews if you dig deep enough.

#2 ·
Look into Conti DWS 06+
Only good for snow with a certain tread depth, but there are markers in the tire treads to tell you when it's no longer a good idea. Long life tires and great traction for AS tires.
Best bet would probably be to have dedicated winter tires, but for a single set these would probably be ok.

#4 ·
Look into Conti DWS 06+
Only good for snow with a certain tread depth, but there are markers in the tire treads to tell you when it's no longer a good idea. Long life tires and great traction for AS tires.
Best bet would probably be to have dedicated winter tires, but for a single set these would probably be ok.
Thanks for the info. We will check them out.

#3 · (Edited)
+1 to Conti DWS 06 if you need some double duty for the snow.
I run that on the VW golf (second set)
My wife runs the Michelin AS3+. No complaints from either models
Both are terrific all seasons that we run for 3 seasons. Both cars have a dedicated setup for winter tires.

I will note that the conti's feel like they become out of round when sitting for a while, but that quickly clears up after 5 minutes once it gets rolling. They are also more complaint on the road, marginally quieter and "softer" over imperfections. Both are impeccable in the rain.

#6 ·
I wanted to also add that I also prefer Conti/Michelin for "end of life" performance.
I'm sure all new tires will be appreciably better than the set coming off at the end of their life.

I'm most impressed by the DWS06 (as well as the predecessors DWS and DW) as well as Michelin AS3+ (and their xice winter lineup) as the years accumulate and the tread depth becomes closer to 5-6/32". Both summer/winter lineups hold up very well towards the later half of the tread depth, maintaining more of the original tread pattern compared to other brands.

I normally swap them out for new versions once they approach the 5-6/32" tread depth, and am usually able to get back $40-50/tire selling second hand. Not many people will pay $200 for a set of used Nankangs/China tires. I don't blame them.

#7 ·
I'm on my second set of Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 tires and they have been excellent. I live in the northwest with lots of rain, great in the rain. And I've gone over mountain passes at 5,000 ft in near white out condition with no issues at all. There was between six and nine inches of fresh snow over ice on the road as the snow plows could not keep up. And I was able to climb that steep pass with no problems. Unfortunately they also break good. A light turned red at the top of the pass in a small town with packed snow and ice. I stopped quickly for the light and was rear ended. I got 45,000 miles out of my last set.

#8 ·
I have Nokian Entyre 2.0 and I have been very happy with them. New company to me (I worked at a tire shop in college) so I gave them a shot. Interesting company history, also.

edit: I live in central IL and travel to Chicagoland often.

I have gone 2 winters and about 25k mi to date, still showing a faint 80% in the tread- they incorporated a “tread life monitor” in the tread like the Conti DWS except they put percentages instead of ‘Dry’ ‘Wet’ and ‘Snow’ traction remaining indicators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.