Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have had my TL for about three weeks now. I had my 2004 TSX for about a year before the dealer ruined it and bought it back, so I think it is time I give some perspective on the differences between the two cars.

I am not sure if anybody has written something like this before, so I am going to do my best to shed some light – although this will not be a long review.

We all know the major differences, the size difference, and the engine difference. 4 Cyl vs 6 Cyl.

The large engine was enough to get me to jump to the TL for this car. The TSX was defiantly powerful enough for most drivers, including myself, but the extra power is so much more fun.

The TSX has better gas mileage, this I to be expected though. From what I remember I was getting about 25MPG with the TSX and with the TL I have been getting 20MPG. So this is a big advantage to the TSX (especially with current gas prices)

Technology – the differences are generally minimal. The TL has its advantages over the TSX – the handsfreelink Bluetooth system I happen to love in my TL. I am almost positive the 06’ TSX will have it built in. The DVD-audio has amazing sound quality, however, there are so few dvd-a discs available that its not a huge advantage (IMO). The only other advantage that I can think of is the XM radio, but the 05’ TSX has this built in now.

I do need to point out that having the memory seats in the TL is a huge advantage, at least for me.

The TSX has the turn signals built in the side mirrors, I happen to like this feature, and I wish the TL had it.

I think the real difference is the ride and handling differences between the TSX and the TL. The TSX is a sports luxury sedan. The TL is a luxury sports sedan. The TSX is much more nimble and handles much better. You can take it through turns with ease and change lanes quickly. You feel like you are driving a small easy to maneuver car whereas with the TL it feels bulkier (and it is) and without the a-spec suspension is not much of a competitor to the TSX in terms of handling. Sure, for straight line acceleration, the TL will beat the TSX – but if you are looking for a car to really compete in true handling, the TSX wins.

So, which car to get – the TSX or the TL? With the $5,000 difference many people often wonder which one to get. Personally, I still say TL, but it is up to you. If you want to save the money and you do not want the extra fast car, get the TSX, you won’t be disappointed. It has excellent acceleration for being a 4 CYL. If you want cooler technology and more of a luxury car over a sports car, get the TL. Either way, you will get an excellent car. They are both luxury enough for most people and they are both sporty enough for most people. I personally think the extra money was worth it for the TL, especially after I spent a few more thousand and added the a-spec package.

Oh, also the TL is more susceptible to rattles and dropping headliners. Fortunately I only have on rattle, and the headliner is no longer falling on my head.

My favorite features in the TL: Blue ambient lighting (and gauges) and the handsfreelink. My favorite features in the TSX: hands down the handling of the car

Again, hopefully this review will be helpful to some potential TSX/TL shoppers.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
vp911 said:
.....I am not sure if anybody has written something like this before....
Well actually they did..... :D

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19690&highlight=heartbeat#post19690

Great write-up, Vik.
There's a lot of overlap between his write-up and mine, although his bottom line is different. We can be pretty sure that most people would agree with Vik that the TL is preferable, because more people are buying the TL even though it's $5K more.

My bottom line is that I'd take the TSX even if they cost the same.
Heck, I'd take the TSX even if it cost $5K more.

I don't expect too many people to share THAT opinion. :lol:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohh yes, thats right you guys told me about that review earlier. duh!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
nice writeup :thumbsup:

I'd probably get a TL when it comes with SH-AWD :nod:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
nice writeup, Vik.

The 270HP V6 in TL is great, but I still like my TSX cuz it has style.:)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
One thing that I might note is that with the TSX both sides of the rear seat fold down giving more space to put stuff... In the TL, all you have is the pass through in the center. Since I have to carry big boxes sometimes the seat folding down is better than a pass through..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
johnej said:
One thing that I might note is that with the TSX both sides of the rear seat fold down giving more space to put stuff... In the TL, all you have is the pass through in the center. Since I have to carry big boxes sometimes the seat folding down is better than a pass through..

Correct, and there are times I am sure I will miss the fold down seats. Like when I move away to school next year. TSX R US is going to try to convince me of a school arnt you?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
vp911 said:
Correct, and there are times I am sure I will miss the fold down seats. Like when I move away to school next year. TSX R US is going to try to convince me of a school arnt you?
Tell us which ones you're considering, then we'll try to convince you. :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got in Northwestern, Ohio State (which is my top choice at the moment, ranked 4th in the world for political science - which is what I am doing along with econ), Upenn, Stanford. I am going to apply to notre dam when they start accepting applications in a few months.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
vp911 said:
I got in Northwestern, Ohio State (which is my top choice at the moment, ranked 4th in the world for political science - which is what I am doing along with econ), Upenn, Stanford. I am going to apply to notre dam when they start accepting applications in a few months.
YOU got into those places and you want OUR advice? :lol:

Congrats -- what an embarrassment of riches! Sounds like you can't go wrong.

BTW.....why are you gonna bother applying anywhere else?
Especially when you can't even spell Notre Dame. :D

I'm not gonna try to convince you anything, because I have no idea about how the poli sci departments are, plus it would seem like ALL those places would be GREAT, plus it seems like it would depend a lot on what's the emphasis/orientation of each program and how it gibes with yours, plus how you'd just like being in each of those places. If it was me, other things being equal I think I'd go to Stanford.

Keep us posted! :bowdown1:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
congratualations on the colleges. I went to the UP (MTU) for my EE degree

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
larchmont said:
Especially when you can't even spell Notre Dame. :D

lol. Blaming me for not being able to type?

I LOVE the Stanford campus. It is absolutely amazing. I will of course strongly consider their campus.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
johnej said:
congratualations on the colleges. I went to the UP (MTU) for my EE degree
Michigan Tech? = MTU?

EE? Engineering? lol?

It's TOO cold for me to be up there.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
yep to all the above..

Was fun up there.... Now I am in Tx working for Sun micro

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
thanks for the review vik.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always wanted to work for Cisco for some reason... now I hate computers and electronics (unless they are functioning properly)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
johnej said:
yep to all the above..

Was fun up there.... Now I am in Tx working for Sun micro

Awesome.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts