Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. Hoping a mechanic or someone mechanically inclined can chime in.

I drive a 2009 TSX with automatic transmission. For the past two years, my low oil pressure indicator light would go on about 2/3 of the way in between synthetic oil changes (about 4,500 miles in between 7,000 mile intervals). So I’d put in 2 quarts of oil, always using Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (for top offs and regular changes). After driving 7,000 miles, I’d take the car in to the neighborhood auto shop and explain what was going on. And they said that they couldn’t pinpoint the problem, but that, theoretically, as long as I checked my oil level every month and put in new oil when it got low, things would be okay. Every time I took it in for an oil change since I first mentioned it to them, they’d look for any sign of a leak, but never found anything.

Well, a few days ago my wife was cleaning out the desk in our home office. And she “found” the notification that Acura mailed to us back in August 2015. The one alerting us to the warranty extension for the sticking piston rings that result in high engine oil consumption. < face palm >

Since we’re past the two parameters of the extended warranty– 8 years from the date of original purchase (would’ve been 2016) and 125,000 miles (odometer currently reads 129k), pretty sure the local dealership will charge me an arm and a leg to fix the problem. Just saw an old forum thread where someone was quoted $2,500 for parts and labor.

My question is: if I stick with the original advice given to me (keep on adding engine oil when it gets low), will my car be okay? Or will the sticking piston rings eventually cause major damage to the engine?

I would prefer to keep driving my TSX for another two years as we can’t really afford a car payment at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m by no means a mechanic, but you’d want to stay on top of the oil level and add before it gets low. I’m not sure about engine damage, but eventually all the oil blow by is going to cause build up and sensor issues.

Look into a small shop to replace the rings, unless there is something unusual about the TSX its not a particulary hard job. I had rings go bad in an old integra and had a small shop change them out. I also had a saab 900 crack the rings from starting it after it had sat 4+ years. I actually drove the saab like that for months before doing the job myself. I removed the pistons, but had my ol’man do the rings as I had no experience with that.

Can’t hurt to talk to a dealership and see if they take pitty on you...

·
Bardi
1,344 Posts
I have an 04 with 200k. I've been adding oil when my engine gets low for years. I check level every 2k miles, and add as needed. It runs great. No clog up issues from just adding oil continuessly.

I tried this recently that might work for you as well. Pull out the spark plugs, and spray 10+ seconds of wd40 or pb blaster in every hole. Let soak overnight and follow with transmission fluid soak for another day. The fluid should make it through all the rings and pistons. Crank the engine over with no spark plugs and make sure no fluid is left in the combustion chamber. It will be ugly if there is visible oil still present in the chamber. I ran the engine until it got hot and went for a quick high rpm ride. Changed the oil right after, and it seems to make a difference in power and oil consumption.

New piston rings or loosing up the rings will not work if you have cylinder wall damage from running it low of oil. Borescope each cylinder and do a compression check. If you don't have the means, pay someone $200 to make sure going forward with new rings makes sense. Also new pistons should be considered if you are going to have the rings replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts