Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in North jersey, and for those of you that know the area I am frequently in Newark, NJ
1. because I work there
2. I party there as well, they have a couple of hot spots.

I am picking up my TSX from DCH as soon as it comes in (Car not in stock on my color combo) and the finance guy obviously tries to sell you or service shit. Well he showed me some stuff about Lojack and I have to say the idea is pretty cool. Now I wanted to know what you guys think about the idea of Lojack

·
Registered
9 Posts
i was watching a TV show on cable last night about LoJack. they demonstrated that it works if you are in your hometown. so if the thief decides to cross the border with your car then it is useless.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Elephino. :D

I have it. Fortunately I've never needed it.

P.S. Interestingly, I don't think we've ever heard ANY stories of Lojack coming into play for anybody -- I'm pretty sure there haven't been any on this site, and I wasn't aware of any on the other sites when I was there.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Well I know of two TSXes that have been stolen, one went to a chop shop, the other was chicken raced (Talk about seeing Rebel w/out a cause a few too many times)... so If u think its worthwhile do it, its allways nice to have something like that just incase...

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
Not sure if you can, but see if you can get the car recovery statistics from your local police station.

I think that's under the public informations act - then you can see if LoJack is actually worth it or not.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the lojack with the early warning system, it gives me a little peace of mind. For the question about your hometown before, in NJ lojack works in every county. There are states that Lojack only works in a few counties. It has nothing to do with your hometown.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say don't get it. Thieves know where lojack's brain is located and they'll rip it out as soon as they steal the car.
Here in NYC, i've read about a guy whose integra was stolen with the lojack system and when he went to the NYPD for help tracking his car down. he found out that out of the thousands of police cars, only a handful of them are equipped with the lojack tracking system to recover the stolen vehicle. The car was eventually found but it was stripped to the bone and it was not because of Lojack.
Its not very effective in my opinion. Best thing to do is layering your car with different security measures such as a club for the steering wheel, another one for the clutch/brake pedal, kill switches for the fuel pump and starter, and a good alarm.
This route is also a lot cheaper then buying & installing an expensive ($500-$700) lojack system.

This is just my opinion, u can do what u want tho. My first car, acura integra was stolen which only had a stock alarm and a club as far as security goes. I bought another integra which i currently own and have learned a lot about thieves and how they run their businesses. Integras are the most stolen cars in this country unfortunately.

Hope i could help.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
there are multiple places for lojack but yeah its true, ny cops wont bother with it...

if they want your car, they'll tow it and all your locks are useless..

i use my tsx for work so it's either in the drive way or in the garage at work. When going out, I drive my old busted honda accord.. still a 99 but its older and only worth 5500 book value..

i rather them steal that then the tsx..

there used to be a satellite tracking system but i couldn't find that service anymore.. ie you query your car and see if its still around... was pretty pricy too..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
redteggy99 said:
I'd say don't get it. Thieves know where lojack's brain is located and they'll rip it out as soon as they steal the car.
Here in NYC, i've read about a guy whose integra was stolen with the lojack system and when he went to the NYPD for help tracking his car down. he found out that out of the thousands of police cars, only a handful of them are equipped with the lojack tracking system to recover the stolen vehicle. The car was eventually found but it was stripped to the bone and it was not because of Lojack.
Its not very effective in my opinion. Best thing to do is layering your car with different security measures such as a club for the steering wheel, another one for the clutch/brake pedal, kill switches for the fuel pump and starter, and a good alarm.
This route is also a lot cheaper then buying & installing an expensive ($500-$700) lojack system.

This is just my opinion, u can do what u want tho. My first car, acura integra was stolen which only had a stock alarm and a club as far as security goes. I bought another integra which i currently own and have learned a lot about thieves and how they run their businesses. Integras are the most stolen cars in this country unfortunately.

Hope i could help.
Great post -- also by ForceSHO.
Scary! But somehow I still feel better having it. :tard:

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
Isn't the box supposed to be randomly placed in the car?

Or is that only the transmitter portion?

And towing the car would still set off the Early Warning system portion, wouldn't it?

·
The Peoples Champ
609 Posts
djxtreem said:
I live in North jersey, and for those of you that know the area I am frequently in Newark, NJ
1. because I work there
2. I party there as well, they have a couple of hot spots.

I am picking up my TSX from DCH as soon as it comes in (Car not in stock on my color combo) and the finance guy obviously tries to sell you or service shit. Well he showed me some stuff about Lojack and I have to say the idea is pretty cool. Now I wanted to know what you guys think about the idea of Lojack

i got my tsx from OTTO at DCH

i opted against the lowjack
due to the fact...

if they steal my car i NEVER wanna see it again

·
Registered
15 Posts
^^^^ yeah that last part is so true. After thieves steal your car, its best not to get it back, just get the money for it and get another same car or move on to something better.
After my first integra was stolen, i never saw it again. I wanted to see it but my friends were like just hope that it doesn't get recovered. Well i got all the money i paid for the car which came out to $15,500 plus i had taken an extended 7 year warranty and got that money back from Acura also after i explained to them what happened and also showed the police report and stuff.

It just sucks so much to have people like this who rob people's hard work, just be glad for full coverage on insurance when this sh*t happens.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
Well I know of two TSXes that have been stolen, one went to a chop shop, the other was chicken raced (Talk about seeing Rebel w/out a cause a few too many times)... so If u think its worthwhile do it, its allways nice to have something like that just incase...
links?

The lojack brain isn't always put in the same spot. What's common for thieves to do with cars is steal the car park it and let it sit that way if there's lojack they wont be holding stolen property. I've even read about them parking it and throwing on a clutch lock and leaving it on the side of the road. It was then found in good condition other then the steering. Of course I've also read about a car being found by lockjack but it was already stripped.
:bawling:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel that it all depends on the thief/thieves stealing your car. Are they proffesional(s) or ameatuer(s)(sp)? If they r pros, then yeah they''ll probably do what tony4311 said. If they r ameatures then they'll probably try to steal, break the steering column and if they can't get pass the immobilzer and other security measures then they'll just leave the car as is and the owner will have to get that fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts