Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some random thoughts that I thought might be a good discussion today.

Last week I got my pulleys installed. This was the last in a set of power mods that I had planned for my TSX. I think at this point I've done all the worthwhile and inexpensive bolt-on power mods at this point. I've spent around $1000 on mods for this car, which is about all I will spend, considering its age and the amount of money it would take to make it really fast.

I think it's all perspective. I was hoping the header/TP/Hondata/pulleys/intake would make it go from slow to fast, but the reality here is that it's gone from slow to acceptable. Acceptable being a car that pulls to 60 somewhere in the 6-second range. Its faster than it feels because the torque is so little. And to make any power the engine is wound out past 6,000 rpms.

The next step as I understand it would be a custom tuning setup and a super- or turbo- charged engine built, along with a built engine. Since I'm not gonna invest that kind of money in the TSX though, I think I've reached a plateau. I knew this all along, but its sinking in today.

I think the truth is that I'm still spoiled from my last car, an STi build (297/337 at the wheels dyno'd), when it comes to power. But the TSX is still an amazing car. But I think I'm about done with mods, though I am considering an inexpensive exhaust sometime next year, just to get a bit more rumble.

Anyhow that's what I was thinking as I was driving around this morning.

· Registered
1,667 Posts
Intake manifolds are cheap and make a big difference. But at that point your going to need more than a reflash.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sell the tsx and get your sti back ...
Ha ha. No because

1) I sold the Scooby to fund a house, and am better for it.
2) It was time to grow up a bit after 4 years of craziness in STi.
3) I truly enjoy the TSX's luxury and mpg, it is a fine car.

Hope I didn't come off as complaining, I was just thinking about when you hit a wall with mods and realize you're not going past it without serious money.

· I </3 NY ROADS
4,047 Posts
Yea many of us have reached that stage. I'm stuck with Flashpro/intake/exhaust and header to be installed. I wanted to go for SC and aim for a reliable 275-300. Now with a newborn the few thousand look much better in savings than under the hood. I might just slow down with the mods for a while and continue later on. Not planning on getting rid of the TSX anytime soon so not in a rush.

· Registered
1,667 Posts
Just like any car there is a plateu you reach that the next engine mod is incredibly expensive. After intake, intake manifold, VTC, header, exhaust, and flashpro its gets very pricey. After all that, I somewhat feel the same way you do. Although it is a lot more fun, I often wonder if the extra noise is really worth it.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· " It Is What It Is "
7,495 Posts
To the op you should of done your homework... Imo your complaining . It took me 1 year of looking at different cars and comparing the pros and cons... And after all that the tsx was the best decision ...

· Registered
16 Posts
I think "slow" is a relative term. Around here anything with 200whp+ is probably considered decently quick, other car forums might vary. If you are used to driving a corolla or prius, than the TSX is probably fast to you. An STI? maybe the TSX will never feel fast.

Ive learned to accept the car for what it is, invest a little money to make it more fun, and leave it at that. There is a small chance I will invest in more than bolt ons or this car, but honestly I doubt it, as this will never be a true sports car.

· Save the manuals!
207 Posts
If youd consider spending another G - I think your best bet may be to try to source a used Civic SI tranny and swap gears 2-5 + LSD. I think that's what I've been missing from my Lude.. More aggressive gearing will make the car significantly quicker has had good results)and feel more eager to go at any given moment. Obviously this is a step above an average bolt-on which is why I haven't done it yet ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
94 Posts
So I very recently just got my tsx and when I got it I knew it would never be like any of my other cars. I excepted way before hand it was "slower" but I also knew what I was gaining from it. This is a really nice car and for the price tag we get a awesome bang for the buck. I wanted a very reliable (reason I went Honda/Acura and not VW/Audi) fun nice car. And that's exactly what I got. Sure you have the LFA and other cars that will put down more power but the features for the most part are identical and you don't take out a line of equity (joking) trying to pay for it. I decided I will do some of the major bolt ins then within about a year it's going on air. Lets face it we all know the TSX is a neck breaker when done properly. But in the mean time enjoy the car let it represent you. After all that's why we're all here

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like a number of us are in the same place. Not gonna pour thousands into this car to get more power. It's good to realize you're slow. But the improvements have made a decent difference. Just coming to terms with it.

· Registered
101 Posts
Slow from 0-60. 1/4 mile ? The TSX was not made to be fast on a straight line, remember this is the European/Japanese Accord and over there the Accord/TSX is fast in many ways because there is not that many v6, V8. You are coming from an STI, day and night. Example the TL is faster from 0-60 but the TSX handles much better.

· My car whines
637 Posts
I think "slow" is a relative term. Around here anything with 200whp+ is probably considered decently quick, other car forums might vary. If you are used to driving a corolla or prius, than the TSX is probably fast to you. An STI? maybe the TSX will never feel fast.

Ive learned to accept the car for what it is, invest a little money to make it more fun, and leave it at that. There is a small chance I will invest in more than bolt ons or this car, but honestly I doubt it, as this will never be a true sports car.
+1

It all depends on what you're use to driving. I had a 1.7L civic and that thing was slow as hell compared to the tsx. I mean someone who drives something like a ferrari 458 will probably say a bmw m3 V8 is slow lol

· Somaek juseyo?
1,292 Posts
Fast enough for what? It's "fast" enough to me to avoid most ownage situations by other drivers while driving. By that I mean, passing someone, getting away from something/someone, entering/merging with traffic fast enough. I believe keeping the exhaust stock has served as a deterrent for anyone thinking to race me haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.