Acura TSX Forum banner

261 - 280 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Looks like I may be attempting the ASP3 swap this weekend. I saw from one of your previous posts that to be able to pull the transmission from the top, the radiator and intake manifold need to come out, trans unbolted and slid back, clutch removed, then the trans can be lifted up and out. Sound about right? Any additional tips or recommendations?
Yup, that's about it. You'll have to rotate the clutch while the trans is unbolted to get the clutch bolts out. The flywheel can stay on. I tried to wiggle the trans out with the clutch on but there is not enough room.

Good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks like I may be attempting the ASP3 swap this weekend. I saw from one of your previous posts that to be able to pull the transmission from the top, the radiator and intake manifold need to come out, trans unbolted and slid back, clutch removed, then the trans can be lifted up and out. Sound about right? Any additional tips or recommendations?
Yup, that's about it. You'll have to rotate the clutch while the trans is unbolted to get the clutch bolts out. The flywheel can stay on. I tried to wiggle the trans out with the clutch on but there is not enough room.

Good luck!
I'm about to do the same and was hoping I could pull the transmission without the engine. Glad I saw this, didn't even have to search!

·
Registered
83 Posts
@shandalo @polymath

If you guys are gonna do this as much as a hassle it may be it would be awesome if you could take pictures along the way!

As more tsx become more "track oriented" it would be nice to start peeling away at alot of the disparities that go unanswered about the tax

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Something that just crossed my mind... If you have to remove clutch and pressure plate to get the trans out... I presume you can't reinstall them until the transmission is back in the engine bay. How do you manage to get the clutch properly aligned when you reinstall it?

I'll do my best to take some pictures.

·
Registered
691 Posts
@shandalo @polymath

If you guys are gonna do this as much as a hassle it may be it would be awesome if you could take pictures along the way!

As more tsx become more "track oriented" it would be nice to start peeling away at alot of the disparities that go unanswered about the tax

Just my .02

Yeah, what he said.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@shandalo @polymath

Just my .02

I did indeed take some pics. It's mostly back together, I'll make a post later.

Some notes: I used the two lifting eyes on the transmission and a ratchet strap acting as a soft sling through a shackle on a cherry picker, that way I could easily rotate it as needed. You can leave the flywheel on, you just need to remove the radiator, upper half of the intake manifold, and the clutch, in addition to the axles bits of course. You can slide back and tilt away the trans, which gives you access to the clutch bolts. You'll have to rotate it some to get to them all. All in all, wasn't too bad. I did it by myself with a cherry picker / shop crane.

I'll make a post later with pictures, I have to change out some coolant lines and fluids.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Something that just crossed my mind... If you have to remove clutch and pressure plate to get the trans out... I presume you can't reinstall them until the transmission is back in the engine bay. How do you manage to get the clutch properly aligned when you reinstall it?

I'll do my best to take some pictures.
You can install the flywheel without the transmission in, but the clutch has to be done with it in. I stuck the disc and alignment tool into the pilot bushing, with the pressure plate sitting in the clutch housing of the trans. It'll make more sense when I put up pictures. Don't worry it's easily doable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So...this old couple ran a red light last week and rear ended my TSX. The insurance company has totaled the car out. Pretty crushed (no pun intended) considering the amount of time and work and I put into this car.
I would be too.... So sorry to see this happen. Hopefully the buyback is reasonable...

·
Registered
83 Posts
O man this terrible thankfully cars are replaceable and your ok!

You probably have had to much time to process it yet but what are your plans for it?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ouch, that sucks but glad it was the car that took the hit. Curious about your plan...

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
That sucks. I assume everyone is OK.

Did the insurance company do right by you? Can you keep the title? They should 'make you whole' so you can afford to get a replacement.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That sucks Tony, I feel your pain!

My wife backed into my TSX last month in our driveway, smashed up my front end a little. :fire: smashed up the rear end of our CTSV wagon.
So much for back up cameras, side mirrors, and motion detection sensor warnings...
So now I have a new front end with the addition of a A-spec front lip.
It’s amazing how much a little front end damage cost to repair.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
New (to me) TSX acquired! I purchased this car from a local enthusiast minus the suspension and wheels to keep the price down. It has 195k, is a 6 speed manual with mostly black interior. The previous owner started doing a black interior swap but still needs quite a few missing pieces. I low key always wanted to paint my TSX milano red so this I guess is the silver lining from the shitty situation.

I've already started removing the parts I plan to replace and going to try and swap over as much as I can this weekend from the silver TSX including the engine and trans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
New (to me) TSX acquired! I purchased this car from a local enthusiast minus the suspension and wheels to keep the price down. It has 195k, is a 6 speed manual with mostly black interior. The previous owner started doing a black interior swap but still needs quite a few missing pieces. I low key always wanted to paint my TSX milano red so this I guess is the silver lining from the shitty situation.

I've already started removing the parts I plan to replace and going to try and swap over as much as I can this weekend from the silver TSX including the engine and trans.
Sorry about the old TSX, but congrats on the replacement! Hope you get it all swapped over soon and back on the road. You don't see too many in red I feel, and around here the Texas sun wreaks havoc on Milano Red. I think the TSX looks good in that color.

BTW - you were so right about the ASP3 transmission. The car feels so much better with it. I'm loving the way it drives and does a better job of staying in the power band, hope I can keep my excitement held long enough to finish breaking in the clutch!

261 - 280 of 478 Posts