Acura TSX Forum banner

381 - 400 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
A couple of small updates. Finally got all the sound deadening adhesive off my floor boards and grabbed a quick GoPro shot. The carpet is still out and debating on whether to put it back in before my next event. Likely won't be tracking the TSX until July.

In other news, my TSX passed California smog with my RBC manifold still bolted up. Now time to put my go-fast parts back on and prepare for tuning.

I also have my silver body pieces getting painted milano red this week. Hoping to have a nice update with some photos once I get those back.

friends don't let friends tein :crying2:
The car came with the Teins and to be honest, there's not much else out there to choose from for these cars.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Suspension techniques and the rebuild-able v1's are very nice - I think they are 800 and 1100 with manufacturer discount right now. I used to sell Tein, never liked them or any other JDM option like Toda and T1R - I remember eons ago someone from Eibach jumping on H-T and dismantling the spring and shock quality of Tein, calling on anyone to have there units tested, I still lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Suspension techniques and the rebuild-able v1's are very nice - I think they are 800 and 1100 with manufacturer discount right now. I used to sell Tein, never liked them or any other JDM option like Toda and T1R - I remember eons ago someone from Eibach jumping on H-T and dismantling the spring and shock quality of Tein, calling on anyone to have there units tested, I still lol.
ST and KW V1 are twin-tube shocks. The only way you're "rebuilding" them is by dropping in a new shock canister into the outer housing. Damping is fixed and the shock valving feels very numb. There's nothing nice about either these for a track car. For a street car they're perfectly fine.

I used to sell Tein for years when I worked at JHP. I've ran their Basic, HA, RA, RE, SRC, Monoflex and more. They are not bad shocks. And this is coming from a guy who works at Eibach. I've been here 11 years and don't recall us ever disassembling another brand's shock. We just don't do brand X vs Y comparisons here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rebuild as far as leaks or poor performance is covered for free by KW for the life of the first owner or 160 ish for secondary owners, per corner but there are many rebuild places that will do it for much less. I've never had a set leak though, 40-50k on a bunch of fwd cars, 40k on my s2000 and 45K on my ridge-line and they all came off and were resold, no issues. V1's with a modern tire do a pretty good job, for a mixed use track car for me.

V3's may be a better option for track focused cars, but usually a spare set of track focused tires and alignment settings offers more for the mixed use cars, depending on how much the car sees street use I guess. I've never gotten into motons 2 way clubsports for the tsx, or JRZ's or 3 ways etc simply because the money involved goes alot farther chassis wise. Obviously v3's and versions of are OEM on track focused models from Porsche etc, but I find those well sprung and valved comparative to adding them to a track build.

I've only owned maybe 4 sets of Teins and worked with 4-5 more that I knew there history and around 25K they went to craigslist, if they came in on cuts they went right to craigslist, got alot of those - Ryan did a whole thread about the quick decline of spring rates and the shock plot on H-T and challenged anyone to bring there set to Eibach, was probably around the time you started maybe just before (long time).

I really don't like any JDM/TDM/CDM for street/track use though, even zeal and fightex arent anything I would put on a TSX.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's settled - I need to do paint matched door handles too to lose the chrome. For the trim - look into "SEM trim black" paint. I prefer it to vinyl wrap. A quick scuff with a scotch brite pad, use of their XXX adhesion promoter, and the paint turned out great and has proven to be durable so far.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
It's settled - I need to do paint matched door handles too to lose the chrome. For the trim - look into "SEM trim black" paint. I prefer it to vinyl wrap. A quick scuff with a scotch brite pad, use of their XXX adhesion promoter, and the paint turned out great and has proven to be durable so far.
I'll definitely look into that. Thanks! I think Angel did something similar with his TSX moldings too and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Damn I like the new look. Cohesive and factory-ish. Looks like the recently-announced PMC edition cars!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Damn I like the new look. Cohesive and factory-ish. Looks like the recently-announced PMC edition cars!
Thank you! I got the other side completed with the painted handles and super happy with how factory it looks while hiding the chrome.

I made time last week to pull the front lower arms off my old TSX (owned by my coworker now) with the PCI spherical front bushings.

I swapped these over on Friday and pleasantly surprised by the difference. The front steering feels more crisp and there is a slight raise in NVH at high speeds over road imperfections and lane reflectors but still very tolerable.

The arms I took off had relatively new TL-S front bushings I pressed in. Upon inspection, these bushings had already started to rip on both arms! After seeing this, I'm even more convinced to keep the PCI front bearings in.

381 - 400 of 601 Posts