Acura TSX Forum banner

421 - 440 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
TSX newbie here. I just bought my first TSX in May this year. It's a 2004 with 140,000 miles that my mechanics son was getting rid of so I grabbed it.

I saw your TSX and it is smokin' hot!
Awesome color!
So I got reading your throttle body swap and was hoping you (or anybody) can give me some pointers.

-----------What I've done so far.--------
Changed all the fluids (except brake fluid) over to synthetic and changed all the filters( Including cabin air and tranny filters).
New ceramic brakes front and back.
Flushed the radiator and replaced Iridium plugs.
Replaced driver's side cooling fan with huge one that came off GMC Z71 (Slight mod: I had to do a little fabrication to the OEM shroud and trim down the blades a couple of inches but it looks stock). Now the AC is super cold at idle in Miami heat.

--------------Now the TSX needs---------------

Both passenger side wheel speed sensors. The front one is around 25 bucks BUT THE REAR ONE COSTS OVER $100!!! Any ideas where to get a quality rear one that fits for cheaper? ( I asked my mechanic and his price was only about 10% cheaper )

After the speed sensors are replaced I'll be ready to do some light modding.
(Carbon fiber wrap on the top surfaces, 65mm+ throttle body swap, cold air intake, tune, fog lights, newer year steering wheel)

And any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and keep it between the ditches.
Also, could you explain some of the acronyms you used in your throttle body swap?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Replaced driver's side cooling fan with huge one that came off GMC Z71 (Slight mod: I had to do a little fabrication to the OEM shroud and trim down the blades a couple of inches but it looks stock). Now the AC is super cold at idle in Miami heat.
Very intrigued by this - any more pics and info? That's a gripe of mine, A/C isn't really cold when sitting at idle. I always thought it's normal since the condenser isn't getting airflow but this idea is super interesting to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Read this build thread twice so far. Keep up the good work.
E46M3 is a wonderful car, price's have been stable for a while now. Miss my old one.
Time to get my new to me TSX up to proper running order and will try to get some track time at lime rock.
Thanks! And congrats on picking up a TSX.

Really love my M3 and just about done wrapping up a huge overhaul on it. Finally got it out of the garage and took this photo the other weekend.

TSX newbie here. I just bought my first TSX in May this year. It's a 2004 with 140,000 miles that my mechanics son was getting rid of so I grabbed it.

I saw your TSX and it is smokin' hot!
Awesome color!
So I got reading your throttle body swap and was hoping you (or anybody) can give me some pointers.

And any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and keep it between the ditches.
Also, could you explain some of the acronyms you used in your throttle body swap?
Thank you! I was crushed (no pun intended) when my silver TSX was hit. Glad I went for all the extra work to have a red one.

Congrats on the TSX. I think you'll get the most bang for your buck by doing the Hondata or Serge Bo reflash. Honda really de-tunes this car from the factory and there's so much potential to make power from the stock motor without having to change a whole lot.

Here are some of the acronyms I used. I'm sure you could do some searching if you need more detailed descriptions of each.

RBC = This is the intake manifold I'm currently using from a K20 motor. Has shorter runners over the factory manifold.
J35 = This is the 3.5L engine out of the Acura TL and RL models.
P2R = The company I used to purchase my thermal gasket and MAP sensor port adapter pictured above.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
It's been a busy last couple of weeks with my mom visiting from Texas and moving into a new place but I managed to get some maintenance work done on the TSX before heading up to Buttonwillow last weekend. No pictures from the garage but was able to get the following done:

Mileage = 208,620
Engine Oil
Trans Oil
NGK Plugs
Valve Adjustment
Install race pads
Install MOMO wheel
Alignment
New Falken RT615K+ in 255/40/17

The VTEC Club event last sunday was a blast! We had 4 TSXs in our group all running different classes and Duane who runs VTEC Club is actually picking one up himself.

My car ran great all day lapping in the 2:05-2:06 range at Buttonwillow every session. My best of the day was 2:05.0 and that put me in 2nd place for the N1 class! Pretty stoked as I did not expect to be able to compete with the huge field of cars in my class. Michael Hilo in 3rd place was right behind me with a lap of 2:05.1 in his B-series swapped EK. Will post full results once available from VTEC Club.

I also found out (waaaay later) that I actually placed 3rd at the Round 1 event at Chuckwalla back in March so they brought my trophy up for me to this event.

Here are few pictures from the event...

just went through the entire thread and love it!

hope to share a track with you sometime
Thanks man! The TSX track community is growing. We had a handful of TSXs at Buttonwillow last weekend for the VTEC Club Round 2 event. Would love to see you out there.

:jump:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Finally uploaded my video from last week's VTEC Club event at Buttonwillow.

It's been a busy last couple of weeks with my mom visiting from Texas and moving into a new place but I managed to get some maintenance work done on the TSX before heading up to Buttonwillow last weekend. No pictures from the garage but was able to get the following done:

Mileage = 208,620
Engine Oil
Trans Oil
NGK Plugs
Valve Adjustment
Install race pads
Install MOMO wheel
Alignment

The VTEC Club event last sunday was a blast! We had 4 TSXs in our group all running different classes and Duane who runs VTEC Club is actually picking one up himself.

My car ran great all day lapping in the 2:05-2:06 range at Buttonwillow every session. My best of the day was 2:05.0 and that put me in 2nd place for the N1 class! Pretty stoked as I did not expect to be able to compete with the huge field of cars in my class. Michael Hilo in 3rd place was right behind me with a lap of 2:05.1 in his B-series swapped EK. Will post full results once available from VTEC Club.

I also found out (waaaay later) that I actually placed 3rd at the Round 1 event at Chuckwalla back in March so they brought my trophy up for me to this event.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Finally uploaded my video from last week's VTEC Club event at Buttonwillow.

Mileage = 208,620
Engine Oil
Trans Oil
NGK Plugs
Valve Adjustment
Install race pads
Install MOMO wheel
Alignment

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Update: RBC VTC cam gear pinned to 45° installed

I finally got around to installing my RBC gear onto my stock K24 intake cam. The install was pretty straight forward and my only hang up was needing a second hand to break loose the VTC mounting bolt to the camshaft. That sucker was on there so tight!

Now I'm ready to start playing with this KTuner ECU I got with the red TSX when I bought it off JT.

KTuner ECU and pinned RBC gear

Intake cam and gear out

New RBC gear in

Timing checked and valve adjustment done

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
I don't know a ton about ktuner - is that ECU flashed? Or can it be tuned?
To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about it either which is why I've had it sitting for 8 months. But basically it's a cheaper Flashpro option - and it replaces the factory ECU. More info about it here: 04-06 TSX ? KTuner, LLC

My friend Clinton has used the KTuner software before and the goal is to now utilize the extra 20° of VTC cam timing from the pinned RBC gear I installed. I also lost quite a bit of midrange when I installed the RBC manifold. So finally getting around to tuning everything and getting them to sync together.

My car already has the reflash and it was such an awesome upgrade. This will essentially be like phase 2 of that reflash and going a little deeper into the tune. Pretty excited to be honest. :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about it either which is why I've had it sitting for 8 months. But basically it's a cheaper Flashpro option - and it replaces the factory ECU. More info about it here: 04-06 TSX ? KTuner, LLC

My friend Clinton has used the KTuner software before and the goal is to now utilize the extra 20° of VTC cam timing from the pinned RBC gear I installed. I also lost quite a bit of midrange when I installed the RBC manifold. So finally getting around to tuning everything and getting them to sync together.

My car already has the reflash and it was such an awesome upgrade. This will essentially be like phase 2 of that reflash and going a little deeper into the tune. Pretty excited to be honest. :D
Where do you go for your dyno session? Forgot your car was already flashed. Hopefully this brings back some mid range power and frees up a few more high end ponies

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Where do you go for your dyno session? Forgot your car was already flashed. Hopefully this brings back some mid range power and frees up a few more high end ponies
We're going to do datalogging on the street just to get a base on there. I haven't explored any local dyno tuners yet.

I'll definitely report back with ass-dyno readings haha

·
Registered
694 Posts
When tuning VTC, keep in mind there is a lag for VTC to reach the targeted angle. So sometimes you would sacrifice max power in order to minimize the transitioning of VTC angle. For example, the engine might have max power at 4k with VTC 30, but a tuner might still set it at 35 or 40 because the power might ramp up better following an upshift.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
When tuning VTC, keep in mind there is a lag for VTC to reach the targeted angle. So sometimes you would sacrifice max power in order to minimize the transitioning of VTC angle. For example, the engine might have max power at 4k with VTC 30, but a tuner might still set it at 35 or 40 because the power might ramp up better following an upshift.
Good info, thanks!

We were able to upload this 'Gixxer' base map onto the KTuner and I've been hearing a lot about this tune. We datalogged a few pulls and everything is pretty spot on as far as AFRs and timing goes.

Impressions:
OMG, I love it! The dip in torque is now gone and it's way more responsive in the more commonly used RPM range. VTEC is set to 4500 RPM and redline set to 8000. The car pulls much harder from 6-8k now. Very happy with the results. Wish I would have done this sooner!

My previous reflash had the redline set to 7800. I still shift before 8k but I like the option of having a couple hundred extra RPM to play with while on track and trying to find the best gear selection. I find myself torn with leaving the car in 4th on long straights before a brake zone or shifting to 5th and back to 4th which I feel loses time. Can't wait to get back on track to see how much time I can shave off now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Good info, thanks!

We were able to upload this 'Gixxer' base map onto the KTuner and I've been hearing a lot about this tune. We datalogged a few pulls and everything is pretty spot on as far as AFRs and timing goes.

Impressions:
OMG, I love it! The dip in torque is now gone and it's way more responsive in the more commonly used RPM range. VTEC is set to 4500 RPM and redline set to 8000. The car pulls much harder from 6-8k now. Very happy with the results. Wish I would have done this sooner!

My previous reflash had the redline set to 7800. I still shift before 8k but I like the option of having a couple hundred extra RPM to play with while on track and trying to find the best gear selection. I find myself torn with leaving the car in 4th on long straights before a brake zone or shifting to 5th and back to 4th which I feel loses time. Can't wait to get back on track to see how much time I can shave off now.
You don't have a type-s oil pump do you? 7,800 is my redline as well and I don't think I'd be super comfortable thrashing it at or above 8k without the type-s oil pump. Next mod?

421 - 440 of 478 Posts