Acura TSX Forum banner

441 - 460 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
You don't have a type-s oil pump do you? 7,800 is my redline as well and I don't think I'd be super comfortable thrashing it at or above 8k without the type-s oil pump. Next mod?
Not yet - still on the stock pump and oil pan. Honestly, I beat the crap out of this thing on the track and it has close to 250k on the motor. Not a single hiccup. These motors can take a beating.

I plan to find a K20 longblock to strip down and use the head, oil cooler, oil pan and oil pump for a little refresh. It becomes a slippery slope at that point so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not yet - still on the stock pump and oil pan. Honestly, I beat the crap out of this thing on the track and it has close to 250k on the motor. Not a single hiccup. These motors can take a beating.

I plan to find a K20 longblock to strip down and use the head, oil cooler, oil pan and oil pump for a little refresh. It becomes a slippery slope at that point so we'll see what happens.
Mine is still chugging at 339k miles with nearly daily trips to 7,500+ rpms. I definitely don't trash mine like you do with all the track time though. I feel you on it being a slippery slope - "well might as well add this too since it's all apart"

·
Registered
695 Posts
I remember reading stock K24 valvetrain would start having issue near 8k, because the piston speedbis really high at that point. So use the margin with caution! But then you plan to rebuild anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know a ton about ktuner - is that ECU flashed? Or can it be tuned?
Its an OEM Honda ECU that's been chipped to allow for re-flashing. The gixxer basemap is really well done for VTC upgrades with a safety margin built in, you can use an unmodified RSX gear and it limits it to 42 degrees. There are still gains to be had with tuning especially a 3 inch exhaust though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I remember reading stock K24 valvetrain would start having issue near 8k, because the piston speedbis really high at that point. So use the margin with caution! But then you plan to rebuild anyway.
Yeah I remember reading alot on this and also the stock k24a2 oil pump not always loving those engine speeds either.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Yeah I remember reading alot on this and also the stock k24a2 oil pump not always loving those engine speeds either.
Yep, well aware of the rod/stroke ratio which is why I keep it under 8k. On the other hand, I've got 20 full track days of constant revs to 7600 without issues. K24 longblocks are cheap and at this point I trust the motor can take what I'm giving it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
The gixxer basemap is really well done for VTC upgrades with a safety margin built in, you can use an unmodified RSX gear and it limits it to 42 degrees. There are still gains to be had with tuning especially a 3 inch exhaust though.
Thanks for the recommendation on that base map too! You were the first to mention that one to me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Throwback Thursday? About a year ago our marketing team at Eibach started doing video insights on our employee rides. They're going to start filming tomorrow on video of my red TSX and it reminded me that I never shared the old one of my silver TSX. Hella short and hella awkward but here it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is still chugging at 339k miles with nearly daily trips to 7,500+ rpms. I definitely don't trash mine like you do with all the track time though. I feel you on it being a slippery slope - "well might as well add this too since it's all apart"
:oops: I have a lot of hard driving to do to catch up to you guys

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #455

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think I've sent you this before, but I swear by SEM paints. I used a scotch brite pad to scuff the trim, wipe down with alcohol, and then used their XXX adhesion promoter before laying down the trim black.

I know alot of people want top wrap them or plasti-dip (ewwww) but IMO the trim black looks better and idk I prefer paint to vinyl anyways. Plus you can use that paint on any other faded trim you may have (I painted the bases of my side mirrors as they didn't match for shit after I painted the trim)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
Moar VTEC Club Rd 2 track photos are out from Frontstreet Media.

I haven't worked on the TSX much lately but we have made a few upgrades to our family 328i Touring. Seriously love this thing. We bought it late last year and went through a few small things it needed.

Last month I copped some Eibach coilovers for it along with Apex Arc8 wheels in 17x9 and Falken FK510 tires in 255/40/17 (same size as the TSX :D )

My girl loves getting her hands dirty so I let her do most of the work while I drank beer. We're both super hyped on how it came out. Our kids can't tell the difference lol.

·
J-Spec
313 Posts
That VTEC Club event looks like a lot of fun. Makes me want to move to SoCal so I can participate. :D

x2 on the SEM paints. I use their paints/primers as well. High quality stuff. FYI, the CL7 window moldings
are gloss black, so if you want an authentic JDM look, then do the gloss black.

441 - 460 of 479 Posts