Acura TSX Forum banner

461 - 479 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
That VTEC Club event looks like a lot of fun. Makes me want to move to SoCal so I can participate. :D

x2 on the SEM paints. I use their paints/primers as well. High quality stuff. FYI, the CL7 window moldings
are gloss black, so if you want an authentic JDM look, then do the gloss black.
The VTEC Club events are legit. Mostly all Hondas. Lots of fast cars and lots of fast drivers.

Will definitely look into the SEM paint. (y)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Wow not a ton of clearance between the 255 and the new coils. Car looks a million times better btw.

Awesome that your girl likes to turn a wrench. I'm still looking for that.
Yeah, the clearance is close. I made adjustments to the end link bracket which opened up some space since that photo. That was the only good one I had of it installed and took that photo to see what was touching. Haha

It's always a double-edged sword. I'm still trying to find my screwdrivers she borrowed 4 weeks ago. But she's still a keeper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy crap. Just went through your entire thread and I have to say I am blown away.

I just sold my 2012 335is that was fully track ready (Ohlins coilovers, ST60 BBK, tune, etc.) and bought a cheap ($3.4k) 179k TAX 6 speed that “used” to be Milano red, now it’s “poverty pink.”

I never had any thoughts on tracking this car, didn’t think that it’d be able to take it, but holy crap you’ve inspired me to start doing some prep.

The suspension is terribly worn, I just picked up some OEM struts/shocks for $85 with 50k miles to put on the car, replacing the upper and lower front control arms, rebuilding the inner passenger CV joint as I’ve got some vibrations on acceleration.

I’m planning on doing a complete fluid service soon (PS, Coolant, Trans, Brake)

What would you recommend outside of this to start lightly tracking the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Holy crap. Just went through your entire thread and I have to say I am blown away.

I just sold my 2012 335is that was fully track ready (Ohlins coilovers, ST60 BBK, tune, etc.) and bought a cheap ($3.4k) 179k TAX 6 speed that “used” to be Milano red, now it’s “poverty pink.”

I never had any thoughts on tracking this car, didn’t think that it’d be able to take it, but holy crap you’ve inspired me to start doing some prep.

The suspension is terribly worn, I just picked up some OEM struts/shocks for $85 with 50k miles to put on the car, replacing the upper and lower front control arms, rebuilding the inner passenger CV joint as I’ve got some vibrations on acceleration.

I’m planning on doing a complete fluid service soon (PS, Coolant, Trans, Brake)

What would you recommend outside of this to start lightly tracking the car?
Thanks! And good come up on the red/black manual TSX. It sucks how bad the red fades over the years.

You shouldn't need too much more outside of replacing the worn axle CV and front compliance bushings/LCAs. I tracked my auto TSX with stock brake pads and fluid and still had fun.

These cars are very capable on track if you throw the right mods at them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Nothing major to update on my TSX as of lately. I had been losing coolant consistently over the last couple of months and have been suspecting a blown head gasket. Did a compression test over the weekend and cylinder #3 has seen better days.

The engine seems to run good still so going to see if i can pin point what's going on a little closer with a leak down test. It could be a bent valve or bad gasket or both. Either way, the head has to come off. I'm hoping to bang this out on an upcoming weekend.

My old friend Reza also picked up a TSX recently and came across these OG Advan RG wheels. They're kind of a weird S2000 staggered spec so we tried them on my car to see if they would fit since he hasn't done all the suspension and camber mods yet. The gold and red pop really nice.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sucks about cylinder #3. Hope it's a relatively easy fix.

God RG's look so good on the TSX. If you ever come across a set of RG/RG2 in 18x9 +29 or +22 holla at at ya boi lol. Been trying to find a set in those specs forever. I think both of those will clear my RL calipers and give me enough room for a 255 tire.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
Sucks about cylinder #3. Hope it's a relatively easy fix.
It shouldn't be too bad but I always try to think of the while-you're-in-there things to do. It could easily turn into an engine-out refresh if I come across a cheap K20A2 block to tear down for the head, oil pan and oil pump.

God RG's look so good on the TSX. If you ever come across a set of RG/RG2 in 18x9 +29 or +22 holla at at ya boi lol. Been trying to find a set in those specs forever. I think both of those will clear my RL calipers and give me enough room for a 255 tire.
Yeah man, I'll keep an eye out. You should have plenty of brake clearance in that spec.

·
J-Spec
313 Posts
Except for cyl #3, the compression is pretty close for all the cylinders.
Perhaps it's time for a J35 swap? :D

I always thought gloss black wheels look fantastic on red cars. My Enkei wheels would
probably look awesome on your car. They aren't that heavy either for cast wheels.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
When is your next track event? Isn't the VTEC Club event coming up soon?
I was planning on going to Chuckwalla this month for VTEC Club but...I finally got my M3 back together very recently after a 3 year hiatus so that's been keeping me busy. I also still need to pull the head on TSX to replace the head gasket and/or any bent valves since doing that compression test. Cylinder #3 was looking a little low on compression a few weeks ago when I did a test.

I'm going to try and take both cars out to Buttonwillow in December at some point. It'll be a little cooler and it will give me time to get both cars properly sorted out. I'll start ordering parts for the TSX soon and update this thread. It's been a while.

How's your car doing? The new clutch and flywheel set up working well?

·
J-Spec
313 Posts
I wouldn't mind joining in the fun at the track, but seeing as I'm in Michigan, it's basically out of the question.

My new clutch setup is OK, but not perfect. I'm planning on removing the powertrain for a sixth time to swap
the clutch disc. It will be the second custom disc that I had made. Don't want to sidetrack your thread with
the details, but I've been working on my own clutch/flywheel setup because nobody makes a decent setup
for J-series applications.

I ventured out to the Eibach Honda meet in Ohio last month. (y)

461 - 479 of 479 Posts