Acura TSX Forum banner

501 - 520 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not gonna lie I was for sure expecting you to forget about the tsx once the M was back up and running but nice to see that it'll come back even better... currently waiting on my asp3 to come in and as always appreciate the help whenever I ask questions on the gram haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
Not gonna lie I was for sure expecting you to forget about the tsx once the M was back up and running but nice to see that it'll come back even better... currently waiting on my asp3 to come in and as always appreciate the help whenever I ask questions on the gram haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Haha no way! I have unfinished business with the TSX. Having the M3 back allows me to work on bigger projects with the TSX which is nice.

You're seriously going to love the ASP3 trans. Hands down one of the best mods for the TSX I've done.

·
J-Spec
390 Posts
Valve lapping is a very common practice. If you had any bent valves, it would have been obvious when you lapped them.
Are you re-using the original valve springs?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
Valve lapping is a very common practice. If you had any bent valves, it would have been obvious when you lapped them.
Are you re-using the original valve springs?
Good to know! The valve lapping went very smooth so I don't think I had any bent ones.

I'm re-using most of the components to keep the refresh cost under the cost of a replacement K24 long block (~$800). So far I'm about $400 in with replacement gaskets and fluids. Below is what I picked up from Acura after work on Friday. I decided to replace the chain per your suggestion and the upper chain guide from the K20Z3 per Rough Draft's suggestion. I'm a knucklehead and ordered the wrong intake manifold gasket so will need to return that one.

K20Z chain guide on the left and K24 chain guide on the right.

I'm replacing the VTC strainer filter which I suspect was leaking most of the oil up front.

I spent the majority of Sunday in the garage cleaning and prepping everything to go back in.

I don't know why but looking at this grimy hood latch everytime I popped the hood really bothered me.

Used the same bucket of Simple Green I used on the cylinder head and other parts I've had sitting over a week.

Cylinder Head torqued down.

I ended up taking the cam caps and cams back out after this photo as the rods the rockers attach to had to be clocked a certain way to get the cam cap bolts through. Once I had the cams torqued I set the cams to TDC and installed the chain. I called it a night from there. Will chip away more this week after work.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
I've been knocking out a few things on the TSX here and there throughout the week.

I got the TCT bolted on and timing set on the chain.

I cleaned the timing cover and installed a new seal on it.

I replaced the driver side transmission seal. The old one was ripped and leaking oil.

The O-Ring for my water pump housing was stretched out and not sitting inside the recessed hole on the housing. Picking up a new one today so I moved on to the intake manifold which was super dirty and gunked up inside along with the throttle body. I took this time to disassemble everything on the manifold and give it a simple green bath.

I've been soaking all of my bolts in this Evapo-Rust solution and it works great! These are the bolts for the manifold I removed before cleaning it.

RBC Manifold and J35 throttle body ready to go back on the car.

Not pictured is the timing cover glued back on. Motor mount bolted up. Front knuckle and axle removed and reinstalled for the oil seal replacement and a few other small items. Hoping to wrap this up by this weekend.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looking good! Impressed by how clean you've gotten everything. I wish I had the patience to be that meticulous when doing a project.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
I picked up the replacement o-ring I needed for the water pump housing that bolts to the block. Everything else went on pretty quickly after the housing was bolted up. I was able to fire up the TSX on Saturday night and happy to report everything seems to be running great.

Old, stretched o-ring

New o-ring

Front coilovers bolted back on

My friend Jeremy rolled over in his 98 ITR and we did some adjustments to his JRZ coilovers

·
J-Spec
390 Posts
Looks like you have the Hard Race upper control arms.
I'll bet you didn't know that the TL upper control arms are 15mm shorter.
On a TSX with stock knuckles that should equate to about -2.25 degrees of camber.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Looks like you have the Hard Race upper control arms.
I'll bet you didn't know that the TL upper control arms are 15mm shorter.
On a TSX with stock knuckles that should equate to about -2.25 degrees of camber.
Did NOT know that. Good info! I'm currently at -3.0° up front with a little more adjustment left to go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks Tony! This has been one of the most interesting and informative threads I've ever read. Doubt I can use the majority of what I've learned here since I have a 2008 TSX with a automatic transmission, but I have definitely gotten a few "takeaways" for future upgrades/repairs.

I'm an old BMW guy, and this is my first FWD automobile, but the more I drive this car the more I like it. Had thought about upgrading to a current Civic SI to get a manual transmission, but I'm not sure I would like the turbo 1.5 engine as much as this K24. Who knows, I might stumble across a decent 06-08 TSX with a MT at a good price down the road, but I'm not holding my breath. Had looked for 2-3 years before jumping on this <55K mile example 4 years ago.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
Thanks Tony! This has been one of the most interesting and informative threads I've ever read. Doubt I can use the majority of what I've learned here since I have a 2008 TSX with a automatic transmission, but I have definitely gotten a few "takeaways" for future upgrades/repairs.
Thank you for the kind words!

I drove my auto TSX for 3 years before getting my manuals. The TSX market is pretty good right now for buyers so you never know.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
Finally got the TSX tuned over at Church Automotive Testing yesterday. The engine has been running flawless since the top end refresh so figured now was the time.

I'm using the KTuner ecu still that I got with the car when I purchased it. My friend Clinton helped load the Gixxxer base map on there for me a few months ago which made decent gains with the RBC VTC gear.

Shawn Church tuned the car himself for me yesterday and was able to eek out 236/188 on his dynopak. We gained about 7 horsepower up top and between 10-15 ft/lbs of torque in the mid sections. The car feels fantastic! I'll be taking it to Buttonwillow on Saturday to get a few laps in and see what else the TSX needs before HFF Challenge and VTEC Club seasons start.

Here's the basic list of mods.

2004 K24A2 w/250k miles
RBC Intake Manifold
CT Engineering Air Box
J35 65mm Throttle Body
RBC VTC Gear pinned to 45°
PLM Header
Stock Cams
Stock Exhaust

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unbelievable power numbers from a pretty basic setup. I'm sure it's gonna feel like a different car on track. Do you have any sound clips of the stock exhaust with the header? And are you still running a cat?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
Unbelievable power numbers from a pretty basic setup. I'm sure it's gonna feel like a different car on track. Do you have any sound clips of the stock exhaust with the header? And are you still running a cat?
Thanks! Pretty stoked on the numbers Church was able to squeeze out.

I took this crappy video on one of the dyno pulls. I have other videos on track with the stock exhaust too if you snoop around my channel.

501 - 520 of 633 Posts