Acura TSX Forum banner

621 - 640 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
gotcha. now that i'm looking at it closer i think the roof skin swap is probably less work than welding in a filler piece for the removed sunroof glass, especially since it probably has a curve to it that would be a nightmare to match with my limited tools. Have you considered replacing the seats? lots of weight to be shed there, and i am hoping you can help us find a proper way to keep the airbags working properly with the JDM Euro R seats in a USDM TSX. Best method i've seen so far is gutting a stock passenger seat and hiding all the sensors the TSX is looking for.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
When I go to the track I remove the back seats and swap in my Momo buckets with PCI rails. All the air bags in my car have been removed completely.

I do like the Euro R rear seats but I'd likely put a Pole Position or something similar up front when the time comes. I have to steal the Momos out of my M3 everytime I want to use them for the TSX. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car is looking fantastic! I found your thread about two weeks ago when a friend offered me his 07 6 speed and I started to ponder the TSX in company with the 07-09 Sis I was looking at.. I bought it last week and am picking it up next weekend. Happy to be back in a Honda, bought a 99 Si new. Loved that little car. I plan to have the TSX live a similar life to yours. Back road fun car/ HPDRE car. Hope you don't mind me taking some inspiration from you. I have been really impressed with what you and some others have done and I am very excited to start playing with my own TSX.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #625 (Edited)
Congrats, Dan and thank you! The TSX is one of the last good double wish-bone Hondas made and it's a great car. And absolutely feel free to use any information I've put out there.

Car is looking fantastic! I found your thread about two weeks ago when a friend offered me his 07 6 speed and I started to ponder the TSX in company with the 07-09 Sis I was looking at.. I bought it last week and am picking it up next weekend. Happy to be back in a Honda, bought a 99 Si new. Loved that little car. I plan to have the TSX live a similar life to yours. Back road fun car/ HPDRE car. Hope you don't mind me taking some inspiration from you. I have been really impressed with what you and some others have done and I am very excited to start playing with my own TSX.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
I haven't made much progress on the TSX since getting it back together after the roof swap.

I got my hands on a Type-S oil pump to pair with my Unit2Fab baffled oil pan. Currently waiting on the associated windage tray, oil pump chain and chain guide to get it all back together.

The guys at Automotive Anatomy did a video on my TSX last week. I'm still in between a few projects so the video below covers why I have a TSX and what my future plans are. A more in depth video to come. These guys have such a rad channel and I'm so honored to have a feature on there. Watch and subscribe!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had already sub'd to AA and was super pumped when i saw they had a TSX featured. Once i saw the red roof skin swap i realized i had already been following the build religiously! Small world with the TSX. Not too many people working on a 15 year old Acura these days. Really enjoy your posts Tony. So when is eibach going to sell the CL7 coilover to the public?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #631 (Edited)
Haha wow, super small world! It's funny how much the TSX appeals to me and I'm sure it's a very small demographic that can really appreciate the chassis. I've got some more stuff lined up for the TSX I'd like to capture on video and post up with my channel and AA's. Really appreciate the support!

Unfortunately, I don't foresee Eibach ever releasing this coilover. We recently discontinued the S2000, EG, EK, DC and all other model coilvers we had in the catalog for years.

I had already sub'd to AA and was super pumped when i saw they had a TSX featured. Once i saw the red roof skin swap i realized i had already been following the build religiously! Small world with the TSX. Not too many people working on a 15 year old Acura these days. Really enjoy your posts Tony. So when is eibach going to sell the CL7 coilover to the public?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Guess i'll stick with my tried and true koni+prokit setup. Did you counter balance the car?

Also a suggestion i think you would appreciate on the track, something i plan on doing myself soon - replace the front bumper beam with a custom lightweight aluminum brace. If memory serves the OEM beam is 27 lbs, and right at the front of the car ahead of the front wheels so it should make a huge difference removing 20+ lbs from there, along with the horribly placed battery right behind the headlight. I am still researching lightweight battery and battery relocation options. pulling 50+ lbs off the nose of the TSX should make a huge difference.For the beam i think i'm just going to find a cheap OEM one from a wrecked TSX and give it to my metal fabricator at work and have him make the part out of aluminum. I've also been watching DIY carbon fiber mold and part creation videos on YT. Honestly looks pretty straight forward and since it's behind the bumper if i screw it up it won't be visible.

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
evil804 said:
Guess i'll stick with my tried and true koni+prokit setup. Did you counter balance the car?

Also a suggestion i think you would appreciate on the track, something i plan on doing myself soon - replace the front bumper beam with a custom lightweight aluminum brace. If memory serves the OEM beam is 27 lbs, and right at the front of the car ahead of the front wheels so it should make a huge difference removing 20+ lbs from there, along with the horribly placed battery right behind the headlight. I am still researching lightweight battery and battery relocation options. pulling 50+ lbs off the nose of the TSX should make a huge difference.For the beam i think i'm just going to find a cheap OEM one from a wrecked TSX and give it to my metal fabricator at work and have him make the part out of aluminum. I've also been watching DIY carbon fiber mold and part creation videos on YT. Honestly looks pretty straight forward and since it's behind the bumper if i screw it up it won't be visible.
Either your memory is not serving you, or you are repeating someone else's misinformation.
See post #544 above for accurate bumper beam weights.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
Hey guys!
Been a while since I've posted an update. Lots of changes over the last few months.

I finally got my new (to me) K24 short block mated to my head I previously took a part and refreshed back in January. I had ordered the Unit2Fab baffled oil pan and didn't realize you needed to run the factory K20 Type-S oil pump with it. Which requires you to run the K20 oil pump chain, guide and windage tray. I got my hands on a pump in June but the rest of the parts were backordered until early September. Here's a few pics of the head and assembly process...

Previously posted picture of the head refresh.

This was the replacement K24A2 block I picked up back in May.

Finally got my hands an a K20 oil pump but had to modify it for K24 use.

New oil pump on.

Once I had everything assembled with the K24 I yanked the K20R out and started swapping over my manifolds, flywheel, clutch, etc.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand...new K24 is in. Luckily it fired right up and the thing rips! The next post will be on the custom single exit Spoon N1 I had modified to fit the TSX.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
The Spoon N1 exhaust is a go! I had my buddy Ken Suen fab and weld everything with the parts I gave him below. I think the exhaust came out better than expected. The sound is amazing once VTEC crosses over.

I posted the photos below along with a few video/sound clips on my Instagram HERE

I'll be competing in VTEC Club this weekend at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. The car seems very solid and looking forward to see what I can squeeze out of it. Temps looked to be 88/59 this weekend so it should be ideal conditions.

I started making a list of parts to make a custom exhaust using the Spoon N1 muffler. I ended up driving to Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa and picked 5ft of 2.5" piping, a couple of 45° bends, V-Band clamps and a Vibrant Resonator i ordered on Amazon. I'm hoping to jump on this project soon!

·
Registered
266 Posts
nice! Show us an underbody shot of the exhaust next time you got it up in the air, Curious why you went 2.5" instead of 3". Limited to 2.5" by the spoon muffler? I recently did the Sergebo header but still running the OEM exhaust on my 06. Thinking a 3" setup with a vibrant ultraquiet resonator and one of the laminar flow flowmaster DBX mufflers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
nice! Show us an underbody shot of the exhaust next time you got it up in the air, Curious why you went 2.5" instead of 3". Limited to 2.5" by the spoon muffler? I recently did the Sergebo header but still running the OEM exhaust on my 06. Thinking a 3" setup with a vibrant ultraquiet resonator and one of the laminar flow flowmaster DBX mufflers.
Next time I rack it I'll try and get some better shots.

Mainly went 2.5" because I wanted it to sound and look good. I'm ok with sacrificing a few hp to satisfy my tastes. Power aside, I'm just as excited about the weight reduction with this single exit over stock. So it's all a win, win, win for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #640 (Edited)
I was able to get my stock ECU, header and exhaust back on the car to do a drive cycle for smog. I followed the recommended drive cycle from Honda and was able get all my monitors to register before heading straight to the smog shop. It passed no problem with the RBC intake manifold and intake tube, J35 throttle body, RBC VTC and RBC oil pump.

I drove it straight home from the smog shop to install my Serge Bo reflashed ECU, PLM header and Spoon exhaust. I also removed the carpet, rear seats and swapped in my Momo goods in preparation for the VTEC Club track weekend a few days later.

621 - 640 of 678 Posts