Acura TSX Forum banner

641 - 660 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #641
We got to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway late Friday and tracked for both Saturday and Sunday. The TSX ran pretty good Saturday until towards the end of the day I could feel my clutch going out. Further inspection showed some fluid leaking out the slave cylinder. We gave it a quick bleed and all seemed to be fine.

The car lapped in the low 2:07 range all day Saturday on pretty old Falken Azenis RT615K+ and they held up surprisingly well.

Sunday morning session the slave cylinder bled out all the fluid on the out lap and I wasn't able to shift gears without grinding the transmission. I kept the car in 4th gear for the entire session and was able to shave off nearly 2 seconds with the good morning conditions with a best of 2:05.5.

The entrance to Chuckwalla

We pitted with our good friend Esteban who brought out his K20R powered Fit and Brandon from JHPUSA with the other red TSX.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
Here's a video of my fastest lap of the weekend from Sunday.

After this session I let the car sit until I found a clutch slave cylinder I could borrow. My friend Esteban let me take his Fit out for a few laps to see what I could squeeze out of it. Managed a 2:03.7 which is nearly two seconds faster than my TSX! This thing has some serious potential!

We plan to take both cars back out in December to Buttonwillow. The goal is to be able to get a sub 2:00 minute lap in both cars with the ideal cool conditions.

Here's my best lap in the Fit...

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun (except the failed slave cylinder).
So much wind noise, can't hear the exhaust screaming through that tiny muffler. :D
You need two cameras that are synchronized and just use the audio from the cabin camera.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's awesome to see Tony! What do you think is holding you back from the time the fit had? Is it the weight?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #645
That's awesome to see Tony! What do you think is holding you back from the time the fit had? Is it the weight?
The Fit was on Yokohama A052 tires which are significantly faster than the Falken RT615K+ already. I felt more confident in the TSX so I think on a fresh, prime tire and actually get my KTuner ECU to work I should be right on par or faster. I still haven't been able to track the TSX with the RBC VTC tune which is probably 25+ hp I'm missing. I'll get that sorted before December hopefully.

The Fit also weighs 2050lbs and it seriously ripped with that K20R in there!

I looked at this event as more of a shakedown as I had made so many changes to the TSX plus the new engine I had just put together. I wanted to make sure everything worked as it should before I spent the money on more mods, tires, etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #646
Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun (except the failed slave cylinder).
So much wind noise, can't hear the exhaust screaming through that tiny muffler. :D
You need two cameras that are synchronized and just use the audio from the cabin camera.
Haha thanks, Eric! Yeah the wind noise is terrible. I have an external mic for the GoPro I use but the battery died...alas the crap noise. I'll load up some front straight rips some friends sent me and post them up.

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
tr3flip said:
The Fit was on Yokohama A052 tires which are significantly faster than the Falken RT615K+ already. I felt more confident in the TSX so I think on a fresh, prime tire and actually get my KTuner ECU to work I should be right on par or faster. I still haven't been able to track the TSX with the RBC VTC tune which is probably 25+ hp I'm missing. I'll get that sorted before December hopefully.

The Fit also weighs 2050lbs and it seriously ripped with that K20R in there!

I looked at this event as more of a shakedown as I had made so many changes to the TSX plus the new engine I had just put together. I wanted to make sure everything worked as it should before I spent the money on more mods, tires, etc.
I'm planning on getting a set of A052 tires for my WedsSport wheels. Sounds like a good choice then.

If I manage to make it out to the next VTEC Club event, I'll let you drive my car. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #648
I'm planning on getting a set of A052 tires for my WedsSport wheels. Sounds like a good choice then.

If I manage to make it out to the next VTEC Club event, I'll let you drive my car. :)
The A052s are really good but don't last long. It's a trade off. The Nitto NT01 tire has similar grip but has longer life and is more consistent once heated up.

Would be super cool if you made it out to Buttonwillow in December. The date is 12/13 but registration hasn't opened yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey do you remember the size of the resonator or the vibrant part number you used for your exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
I've been super busy getting the TSX prepped for Buttonwillow this weekend with NextLevel Racing and Club Racer Events. I've replaced 14 old, factory bushings with spherical bearings in the front and rear suspension and four of the rear knuckle bushings with new TL Type-S bushings.

Starting with the front I rebuilt the knuckles with new wheel bearings, ARP extended studs and new OEM Ball Joint Boots.

I then disassembled and cleaned the front LCAs/Forks and pressed in new PCI bearings. I had already had the compliance bearing but never tried the rear pivot bearing. I also found a bearing that fits the factory fork bushing which you'll see pressed in below.

Crunched factory fork bushing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #653
For the rear suspension I found some cool OEM upgrades from the TL Type-S. One of the control arms uses a bearing instead of a bushing on one side of the arm and fits in TSX arms.

OEM spherical rear arms complete.

Next up is the rear knuckle I mentioned in the last post. These I've pressed in new TL Type-S bushings into them. Not sure if they're stiffer than stock but they do look different.

While the knuckle was apart I pressed out the factory studs for some +15mm Eibach Extended Studs I had laying around.

I replaced my Eibach rear camber kit with the GodSpeed version which has a spherical bearing instead of a bushing. Nice, cheap upgrade.

Lastly, I snagged the rear leading arm from a newer TL at the junkyard. I wanted something to replaced the old, worn out bushing and this seems to be a cheap alternative for now.

And of course aligned the car afterwards at my friend Larry's house. I have a few more updates to post before this weekend as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow I’m very impressed with your attention to detail on the bushings id love to do this to my car in the near future. let me know if you feel any difference out there car is looking great.

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
Very cool! Do you recall which TL rear arms have the spherical bearings?
It doesn't look like Acura sells the bushings separate from the rear arms,
so where did you get them?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #660
I had a pretty rad two day weekend at Buttonwillow with all the track homies. The TSX felt pretty good for the most part with the exception of the transmission being a little notchy on the first day and the LSD seemed to be slipping way more than normal.

Saturday I was able to run a personal best in the TSX of 2:01.5 around the regular CW13 configuration. Prior to this weekend my best time in the TSX was 2:02.3.

I rotated my A052 tires from front to back for Sunday and removed my passenger seat. My first session I was on a good first hot lap and could not get the trans to go into 4th gear down the final straight. $%&#!!!

The second session I was in the advanced group. I got to pregrid early since they gridded by lap time. I think I ran a 2:02.0 the first session which put in the 5th spot to go out. On the out lap I gave myself room to get a first good hot lap flier. I get to Phil Hill and this green EG is literally putting around the track at the slowest speed and completely &#$%ed my lap. This definitely would have been a 1:59-2:00 lap. On the 3rd hot lap I ran my 2:01.0.

Here's the video of my fastest lap. My next step is to get the transmission sorted and go back for that sub 2 lap!

641 - 660 of 678 Posts