Acura TSX Forum banner

681 - 696 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
So what made you go with Exedy over say ACT?
Personal preference really. I've used ACT in the past and found their pedal pressures are quite stiff compared to Exedy. Exedy to me is more of an OEM+ upgrade.

I've also put a few hundred miles on the TSX since the main seal and clutch/flywheel install. So far so good on that end.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Stumbled across this and thought you might enjoy seeing up close photos under a JAS WTCC CL7 with custom control arms. anything jump out at you? can't really see whats going on with the LCA.

Also this trunk brace is sick. possibly reinforcing rear strut towers as well? Bet it makes a big difference on the track.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Those monoballs on the rear knuckles look good. Very impressive set up!

I've put some miles on the TSX after the rear main seal, clutch and flywheel replacement and all seems well. I'm fairly certain the "LSD slip" I was experiencing at Buttonwillow was the the clutch slipping from oil leaking onto it from the main seal.

Taking it back out to Chuckwalla on March 6th for VTEC Club and my lady is going to drive it on Sunday for Club Racer's open track day while I track the M3. Can't wait to get back out there!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
A little late on the post but I got a few things done to the TSX before taking it out to Chuckwalla.

Added a Recaro Pole Position. I had previously been taking the Momo seats out of my M3 each event and mating them with the PCI rails I have. I also got PCI's new taller seat side mounts.

I also had my friend Ken add in a flex pipe for the exhaust he welded for me. Previously I had no flex pipe and one of the hangers broke off.

[

And lastly, I installed front and rear Spoon rigid collars Angel had ordered for me from Japan. Super cool mod to align the subframes to true center. I was able to do front and rear in a few hours.

All buttoned up and ready for VTEC Club at Chuckwalla!

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Looks great!

The Spoon rigid collars are one of my favorite mods. I'm surprised you waited so long to do that.
If that flex joint is the Vibrant one with a sleeve on the inside, then you may experience some
occasional rattling. A flex joint with the braided outer and interlock inner would be a better choice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
Looks great!

The Spoon rigid collars are one of my favorite mods. I'm surprised you waited so long to do that.
If that flex joint is the Vibrant one with a sleeve on the inside, then you may experience some
occasional rattling. A flex joint with the braided outer and interlock inner would be a better choice.
Wish I did' the Spoon rigid collars sooner. Yeah it's the Vibrant one and it probably does rattle but the whole system is pretty loud already so I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
2004 TSX 6-spd Stock
11 Posts
Just went threw all 35 paged of this build and it was excellent, definitely my favorite tsx......
Keep it up...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
I just realized I never posted the results from VTEC Club at Chuckwalla two weeks ago. I rented a cabin for me and the fam Friday and Saturday night. The plan was for me to track the TSX Saturday for VTEC Club and my wife was going to drive it in the beginner group for Sunday.

Pretty cool Group N1 decal for the competition.

The TSX ran flawless on Saturday for the VTEC Club competition. I ran my best time in the morning session of 2:03.5.

This time was good enough for 2nd place in Group N1! I missed 1st place by just a few tenths of a second. I really need to figure out why my KTuner won't retain the tune I've set on there.

Sunday my wife Genevieve drove the car and had such a blast. She's had spotty track experience over the last 6 years but this would be her first real track day. I think she's hooked!
Oddly, the Caliphotography guys didn't get any shots of my car on Saturday. Wild. But they did get this cool shot of Genevieve mobbing down turn 12 with Victor behind her in the silver TSX. She ended the day with a best time of 2:16. Super proud of her for not breaking my car lol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How are you liking the Ktuner long term Tony? I'm about at the stage now where i need to decide on Hondata + A71 ECU or Ktuner. Hondata is more ubiquitous making trouble shooting/support easier, and seems to have more features. Ktuner is cheaper, but i worry it lacks the granularity and reliability of hondata+OEM ECU to make a great daily driver tune with no rev hang, well behaved throttle padding, and OEM reliability. I am thinking hondata will be better behaved with the per gear rev overrun tuning and per gear throttle padding.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
How are you liking the Ktuner long term Tony? I'm about at the stage now where i need to decide on Hondata + A71 ECU or Ktuner. Hondata is more ubiquitous making trouble shooting/support easier, and seems to have more features. Ktuner is cheaper, but i worry it lacks the granularity and reliability of hondata+OEM ECU to make a great daily driver tune with no rev hang, well behaved throttle padding, and OEM reliability. I am thinking hondata will be better behaved with the per gear rev overrun tuning and per gear throttle padding.
Unfortunately I haven't had the KTuner long enough to give a long term testimonial. Every time I unplug the ECU or unplug the battery the tune is lost and the car won't start. Buuuut, my buddy Clint initially loaded a base tune on the car for me and it lasted about 6 months. It wasn't until I had it tuned on a dyno where I started having issues.

As far as daily drivability, it kind of sucks. It doesn't have a smooth partial throttle feeling. I've always driven around it on the street because it's such a blast on track.

So to cliff note my ECU issue:
I was able to use the latest tune (236/188 on a dynopak) at Buttonwillow back in December and ran a PB of 2:01.1. However, that's when my rear main seal started to leak on the clutch and cause slipping under heavy load. I know the car had much more if the seal hadn't leaked.

At Chuckwalla two weeks ago I had to use my Serge Bo reflash ecu which feels about 30hp less than the tune on the KTuner. But I had fixed my rear main seal issue and replaced the clutch and flywheel so had no issues there.

I need to get everything working together to really see the full potential of this car. Hopefully next time we take it out I'll have the KTuner working again and can hopefully resolve why the tune keeps getting deleted.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Took some iPhone shots while visiting @Senna88 at his shop last weekend. I also picked up a new Kaaz diff for my ASP3 trans. My son and I took the trans out Tuesday and dropped it off with Ghostwerks for inspection and installation.

Also random shot of me a customer took while I was setting up his Fortune Auto coilovers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
I got the trans back from Ghostwerks and back in the car. He ended up replacing a lot parts from 3rd - 6th gear. He said surprisingly my 2nd gear looked good.

I've only driven the car around the block and it feels as expected. Really looking forward to getting the TSX back out on track before it gets too hot.

681 - 696 of 696 Posts