To see what she can do :)

Here we are coming up on the front straight

Crossing the finish line :)

Coming up on the Toyota bridge

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
nice pictures, I thought you meant the drag strip track, not a race track.:D

I am planning on taking my TSX to the track again sometime next month. I took my TSX last summer, hopefully, I can perfect my skills at launching!:D

Record your runs around the track on video?:donno:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back under the Toyota bridge (on the other side - pit area)

The pit exit

Check the navi, to see where I am on the track :)

Can you guess what race track this is? Hint, the big race is next weekend ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Long Beach....the Queen Mary.:cool:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rzee said:
Why were you driving like a grandma on the track? :jester:
What you can't see in that pic, is that my TSX only has 300 miles on her ;)
300 more, and it's on :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Cool -- Did you get any times?

That's what I'm eager to do. I have no idea about 1/4, but I'm convinced I can get better 0-60 times (with my 5AT) than what a lot of people seem to assume the car can do.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
larchmont said:
Cool -- Did you get any times?
Nah, didn't get any times. Just driving around having fun, while breaking her in :)
Joker - who has yet to take her above 4K RPM's

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I'm predicting 7.7 or better for my 0-60.
In fact, I think I already bet my reputation on it. :nervous:

Fortunately, I've already lost any reputation since that time anyway. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Sweeet pics!! Did you have to pay to get on the track? Is there a max speed limit on there too? :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
Sweeet pics!! Did you have to pay to get on the track? Is there a max speed limit on there too? :D
No, the street's remain open to the public up until a day before qualifying.
They still enforce speed limit's up until the track is closed to the public. So if you want to push it, it as at your own risk.
So your not really racing so to speak, but just having fun driving on the same track as the pros :D

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
larchmont said:
I'm predicting 7.7 or better for my 0-60.
In fact, I think I already bet my reputation on it. :nervous:

Fortunately, I've already lost any reputation since that time anyway. :D
I would be impressed with a 7.7 sec. 0-60 time with an automatic. Especially considering that Consumer Guide, Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, and Edmunds.com have the TSX around 7.9 - 8.1 for the 6MT.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ferg said:
I would be impressed with a 7.7 sec. 0-60 time with an automatic. Especially considering that Consumer Guide, Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, and Edmunds.com have the TSX around 7.9 - 8.1 for the 6MT.
......but others have gotten as low as (I believe) 7.2 for the 6MT. While still others haven't been able to get below 8.4.

So, to state the obvious, results vary, and they're dependent on God-knows-what. It's easy to speculate on some of the possible factors, but, wouldn't you think they'd have all these things standardized? OK, let's list a few: How full the gas tank is (often they do 1/4 tank, but I'd do "almost empty" :D ), how much crap you're carrying in the car (I would think they do it empty except for the spare tire), whether the road is level (I would absolutely expect that they take care of that), maybe some variation from car to car but you wouldn't think it would be much, ......and....... (drumroll)

......Since it doesn't seem those factors could be major unless they're complete idiots which I assume they're not, I gotta think there's one more factor, which I'll say is the main one: Driver motivation. Also maybe to a lesser extent, driver skill; I wouldn't think this is major because you'd think everybody who does those tests is reasonably capable and there isn't THAT much skill involved. But, when you get results that vary by a second or more -- including when some testers can't get below the low 8's with the TSX 6MT, which seems just absurd -- I gotta believe some of those drivers just aren't trying.

Truly.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Larch, don't forget elevation, and air temp (as two other major factors) ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes indeed.....and let's keep going:

The gasoline.
The weight of the driver.
The timing mechanism???? (don't know if this can vary unless it's defective)
Luck.

And what about.....Car broken in vs. not broken in.

Anyway: Ideally all of these things would be standardized (or reasonably so; I wouldn't insist on any exact weight for the driver). And also ideally the testers would be sufficiently skilled, and they'd be trying.

And so the times should never vary as much as they do.

What we're really interested in is: What's the BEST time that the car can do, under fair and standard conditions?
That means trying hard. Probably giving it a lot of trials -- and taking the best time.
Because that's what we want to know.

In a way this is different from most studies. Usually the average result is the most important. But not here. It's not like the best 0-60 run is a fluke; it's more like you just didn't do as well as you could have on the other runs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts