Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought a 2004 TSX and love it...very nice car. But there is one problem, it is just not as peppy as I would prefer it to be. Dont get me wrong it is respectable for a 4 cylinder but I am used to more umph.

What are some good mods for this car? The best bang for buck?

Thanks!
Mike

P.S. I dont want it to be any louder (exhuast wise) cause that is just not a pleasant sound.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club Big Mike :wavey:

I'd start with an Injen Cold Air Intake. Bang for the buck, this will net you some nice gain's.
It will, however, increase the noise of the intake though..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Joker said:
Hello, and welcome to the Club Big Mike :wavey:

I'd start with an Injen Cold Air Intake. Bang for the buck, this will net you some nice gain's.
It will, however, increase the noise of the intake though..
it only sounds louder during WOT...other than that it sounds normal...IMO

and welcome!! :wavey:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replys and the warm welcome! Looks like the intake is the best first mod. I dont think I would mind the intake noise too bad as long as I am netting some nice little gains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, I too just bought a TSX and may be interested in adding some performance. Are there much differences in types of CAI kits?? I can get the K&N for cheaper then the Injen, but if it is not worth it, I would buy the injen. Also, what about the Weapon R and AEM??

Thanks

T

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the K&N.

The dyno's are about identical with Injen.

K&N costs $20-30 less and comes with the drycharger water resistant filter
wrap, worth about $10. I don't think injen comes with the drycharger.

In the end I picked K&N because I wanted red for PWP car.
I got mine from Hopup Racing, best price at the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
can the kn filter change from CAI to SRI? i know the injen can and that would be the only way id be able to get the CAI it just gets too rainy here in aug to risk a CAI, some roads back here flood and i am already leary as it is fording water with my car..... tho im ususaly the jack ass making a K turn on a one lane road holding up traffic so i dont go through a puddle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
excuse the novice question guys, the CAI sounds like it works by using air to give the engine added power. How is rainy weather a factor? Would rain be sucked into the unit? If so, what can be done? SRI?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Exactly. CAI generally have the filter element mounted lower in the front or in the front fender area of the car where it is more susceptible to ingesting air. There are a couple of ways to combat this:
1) Bypass valve - some mfgs of CAIs have a water bypass valve, but this may not be completely effective.
2) Some filter elements, such as the ones by K&N, need to be oiled. In applications where there is more moisture or water, they recommend applying more oil to the filter element itself. This would help reduce the likelihood of inegesting water. However, it won't help if the entire filter is submerged.
3) Some people convert their CAI into a short or warm air intake during the winter months. This relocates the filter element back up into the engine compartment where there is much less likelihood of water ingestion. The trade-off is less power as the air temps underhood is much greater and there is also some loss of power due to the shorter piping (some of the better CAIs have tuned pipes which alone can increase torque/hp).

FWIW, I used to have a twin turbo 300ZX which had dual cone intakes located right up front near the mouth of the front bumper. I never had any problems even when driving in the rain. Of course, I exercised caution and common sense and never drove through deep pools of water.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
studdly said:
excuse the novice question guys, the CAI sounds like it works by using air to give the engine added power. How is rainy weather a factor? Would rain be sucked into the unit? If so, what can be done? SRI?
Rain isnt a factor, deep water is. I just survived all the rain out here in SoCal no problem with my Injen CAI. And there was a LOT of water on the road. So, as long as you dont drive through lakes, you should be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.